Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wall Mount Screen - Running! A Few Issues...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wall Mount Screen - Running! A Few Issues...

So, one of the big reasons I picked HomeSeer (among many) was the ability to create a custom UI with HSTouch and get a touch screen on the wall to control things conveniently. So far, so good. I had a few hiccups getting HSTouch initially working, but I have some of the basics in-place now. I'll attach a picture or two here.

The basic setup consists of: (a) Amazon Fire HD 10, (b) Motifs Etc surround, and (c) a recessed wall outlet that also has some USB plugs to keep it powered. My HomeSeer environment is running on a Dell R730.

However, I do have a FEW issues that I can use some feedback/guidance on:

1. Screen Saver

I'd like to have the screen stay on (the button to the tablet is hidden), so I've temporarily set it to never sleep by setting the Develop Option under settings for this. However, it simply goes from high to low contrast now. I clearly don't want to burn in the screen, so ideally I could set some kind of screen saver. The Fire OS doesn't appear to support Android's native day dream. Any good options?

2. Icon Updates

I have several icons placed on my floor plan to show things like whether certain doors are open, lights are on, motion detected, leaks detected, etc. I've noticed that the light icons will not automatically update if the light is turned on/off through the tablet controls or automatically by HomeSeer. However, if the light is turned on/off manually, via the switch, the status will update in HSTouch. Other icons, such as doors and motion, seem to update just fine. Is there a way to address this? If I switch screens and back again, I'll see the updated status, but, as I said, not if I simply change the light (on/off) from the tablet or HomeSeer does it (e.g. timer).

3. Event Based Triggers

This is probably just my lack of knowledge on HSTouch at this point, but is there a way to trigger something (like a screen opening) based on an event occurring with a device? For example, I'd like to have a screen display when certain high priority events occur. I'm guessing there's a way to do this but I just haven't explored deep enough yet.

Looking forward to doing some more work on this over the weekend! Thanks for any insights!

Click image for larger version

Name:	HomeSeer Panel.jpg
Views:	443
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	1413168

Click image for larger version

Name:	Servers.jpg
Views:	478
Size:	111.4 KB
ID:	1413167
    Attached Files

On the event based triggers, I believe I figured this one out but haven't tried it yet - looks like HSTouch actions to open or close screens can be controlled via the events in HS. I'll give this a try and see if it has the desired effect.

Comment

re screensaver for mine I set my main screen as a black screen with the whole thing selectable so you just tap it to go through to the first screen. Under project defaults i set it to return to main screen after 2 minutes.

events, yep you got it, hstouch action.

Comment

Originally posted by ShimmerNZ View Post
        re screensaver for mine I set my main screen as a black screen with the whole thing selectable so you just tap it to go through to the first screen. Under project defaults i set it to return to main screen after 2 minutes.

events, yep you got it, hstouch action.
        That's a very clever idea regarding the home screen - I may go that route if I can't find another solution. Seems simple enough - thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by ezmaass View Post
          On the event based triggers, I believe I figured this one out but haven't tried it yet - looks like HSTouch actions to open or close screens can be controlled via the events in HS. I'll give this a try and see if it has the desired effect.
          I've found that the "close screen" doesn't work reliably! Instead, just use "open screen by itself" to get back to where you want to be.
          Fred

HomeSeer Pro 3.0.0.548, HS3Touch, Zwave 3.0.1.252, Envisalink DSC 3.0.0.40, WeatherXML, Z-stick, HS phone, Way2Call

Comment

I also use the big black screen as the "Home" screen, but I have two large but invisible buttons on it. Touching the left side manually initiates a screen saver app, and the right side goes to the real main screen. The screen saver is a digital clock with huge numbers visible across the room, that also moves periodically to prevent burn in.

But I took this one step further, in that the right button also runs an HS event that starts a timer (I use the zipcode trick to identify which tablet had its button pushed). When the timer expires, HS will cause the tablet to re-start the screen saver. I only need this on my older tablet and the Fire tablet, since modern tablets have functional screen saver capability automatically.

Comment

that's a smart way to do it. I might give this a try but just do one large button that fills the whole black home screen with the action to bring me to the real home screen. How do you make the clock move around?

Comment

So, I gave the new home screen a try - works well. I put a text based time in the middle of the screen. For the most part, it should avoid burn-in as the time is always changing. But you can easily just go with a black screen. Just one note though - the Android controls (back, home, tasks) will still show at the bottom of the screen, so it's a high likelihood that those can burn in regardless. Anyone know of a way to go truly full screen?

Comment

Find a quiet corner and read about this : https://www.fully-kiosk.com/en/#main (I have not tested this but by the looks of it, seems crazy!)

My tables are different posted here : https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/ho...71#post1407171Post #2

Eman.
                  TinkerLand : Life's Choices,"No One Size Fits All"

Comment

Originally posted by mulu View Post
                    [USER="123522"]How do you make the clock move around?
                    I let the screen saver program do it. I use something called "Day and Night Clock" (also known as just "Night Clock"), which can run both as a screen saver and as a regular app. Night Clock is available in the Play Store. I had to side load the Play store onto the Fire tablet though (easy to do if you follow the instructions), and the effort is worth it since there are a lot of other apps in the Play Store that are not available in the Amazon store.

Comment

I have 4 7inch fire tablets wall mounted. I use always_on_AMOLED screen saver. Tap twice to wake up. It has a moving clock. This is from the google play store. I use fully kiosk to present web pages, which are created by HSMetro (in the user interfaces section). With HSMetro, it will display any HS device, updated in real time. It can be modified easily, by using some HTML code. So I present some graphs from mcsMQTT, as well as some web scrapings in iframes.
                      Pretty flexible

Comment

Working...
                      X