• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tillsy
    replied
    Originally posted by Tomgru View Post
    Until now I didn't realize I needed a full offline copy of Wikipedia
    Actually I'm pretty sure this guy would have an offline copy of the entire Internet

Leave a comment:

• jbfoster
    replied
    Dam talk about being addicted to Home Automation. I wish I had the money to do that.

Leave a comment:

• Eman
    replied
    Originally posted by Tomgru View Post
    Scholarly

Eman.

Leave a comment:

• Tomgru
    replied

Leave a comment:

• TC1
    replied
    Originally posted by langenet View Post
    Agreed... just over the top. All that noise and heat. I'm surprised he doesn't have raised computer room tile flooring.. lol. For me, the smaller and quieter, the better. Nowadays you can get serious horsepower in small packages.
    Think of the environment and your carbon footprint man..
    THIS. Exactly.

Leave a comment:

• Eman
    replied
    There is no right and wrong answer but that he Relishes the Relics but also uses Alexa One thing though, I liked his sense of humor which attributes to good communication skills. But resisting change is futile..........................the future is coming in small packages for those who are tech-savvy, example : https://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2020/0...-2020-keynote/

Else, here is one which should have remained a sticky : https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/homeseer-products-services/general-discussion-area/45550-show-us-your-kit So he should not take all the stick

Eman.

Leave a comment:

• langenet
    replied
    Agreed... just over the top. All that noise and heat. I'm surprised he doesn't have raised computer room tile flooring.. lol. For me, the smaller and quieter, the better. Nowadays you can get serious horsepower in small packages.
    Think of the environment and your carbon footprint man..

Leave a comment:

• TC1
    replied
    Yeah, other than the video editing (which needs a lot of storage and compute cycles), the amount of compute power, network throughput and storage he had was over-the-top. At that point you're just posturing.

Leave a comment:

• Tillsy
    replied
    Originally posted by jon00 View Post
    Unless he has solar, I don't envy his electricity costs!
    This! I used to be one of those w#nkers - as an IT guy I went way over the top with all sorts of high-end gear running in my home including servers, firewalls etc. A few years of paying over $1,500 in power every quarter I started to finally wake up and over the years have progressed to a point where this quarter I will earn a small credit, and the quarter after I an expecting a MASSIVE one. Yet ironically I now have a much, much simpler and better setup.

Leave a comment:

• TC1
    replied
    Originally posted by jon00 View Post
    Exactly. Where I live is some of the highest electric rates in the USA, that's why I don't buy old data center servers and network gear off ebay, even though they are dirt cheap. All the servers in my network are custom built for lowest power draw (and noise levels) since they are on 24 x 7.

Leave a comment:

• w.vuyk
    replied
    Agreed on that. Hobby over the top situation there LOL

Leave a comment:

• jon00
    replied

Leave a comment:

• StevenR
    replied
    Dang, that guys equipment cost is probably more than my salary for 10 years... Must be nice...

Leave a comment:

• pcburcham
    replied
    Enjoyed that Eman, thanks. I'm running pretty much everything this guy is running, only my servers and software are MUCH cheaper. I don't have the money that this guy has lol! I think I am going to install a dedicated exhaust fan in my office. Been thinking about it for the past 2 years and the video inspired me. My rack is directly behind my desk and it gets warm in here during the summer.

Leave a comment:

• Eman
    started a topic HomeSeer

HomeSeer

He uses HomeSeer and he is funny I hope he wouldn't mind me sharing his video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66EZ...8ucpoQ&index=2

Eman
Working...
X