VMWare ESXi Machines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VMWare ESXi Machines

Not so related to HomeSeer, although this forum is full of knowledge and always open for help. I have two servers hosting VMWare ESXi (Free Edition). The production server hosts HomeSeer and other products, most of those are on virtual machines with Windows 10. The other server is a standby server, normally off other than when I refresh the backups and etc. My first question is, is it possible to move a VM from one host to another without reactivate the Windows 10 License? What do you use for backup and restore?

Thanks for all the help

I use Idrive for my VM's - works well. Mostly, the actual OS is not of great importance and standing up a new VM potentially less of a hassle depending on what you use them for. Reverting to a prior snapshot also used here sometimes.

Comment

When you move it to another ESXi host, you'll be asked by VMWare if you copied it or moved it. Just answer you moved it and you shouldn't have any Windows 10 licensing issues.
      Plug-ins: UltraMon, UltraM1G, UltraCID, Ultra1Wire, UltraLog, UltraWeatherBug, UltraPioneerAVR, UltraGCIR

Comment

Originally posted by Ultrajones View Post
        When you move it to another ESXi host, you'll be asked by VMWare if you copied it or moved it. Just answer you moved it and you shouldn't have any Windows 10 licensing issues.
        Yes. Just need the vmk file or whatever it is called.

If you really want to get fancy, you can used vMotion and move the VM to the other machine without powering it down.
        HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435 (Windows Server 8.1 on ESXi box)

Plug-Ins Enabled:
        Z-Wave:,RaspberryIO:,AirplaySpeak:,Ecobee:,
        weatherXML:,JowiHue:,APCUPSD:,PHLocation:,Chromecast:,EasyTr igger:

Comment

Working...
        X