ZHome Plus 2.1.2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ZHome Plus 2.1.2

Our latest update to our iOS app is now available through the App Store. It brings better support for HS4 and plug in devices. The macOS version is awaiting review and should be available soon as well. Our app is not a subscription based app. We offer a 7 day free trial and then its a one time purchase. We will be increasing our price soon but wanted to get this version out and give people an opportunity to try it for 7 days free and then be able to purchase it at the intro pricing. If you have ideas or suggestions please let us know. We love to hear good ideas and figure out a way to implement them. We love home automation and are always looking for ways to improve out app.

The zHome plus app I discovered a few months ago. My wife does not like the other apps available as she found them neither effective, efficient or intuitive, so this lead to zHome. My wife liked and appreciated how the zHome app works and I appreciate that this meant less work for me.

I had previously posted an overview some time ago and with the latest release O thought I’d do an update from my personal perspective.

I am not associated with the app other than purchasing it myself, voluntarily testing and my daughter designed an icon after we had a brief discussion. I forwarded the icon to the developer and to her amazement was incorporated. So a happy wife and daughter makes my life simplier.

Below is a quick video showing the iPhone, iPad and near the end of the video, I briefly show the MACOS version.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EpotaINp9i4

Comment

I also use zHome on my iPhone and iPad. I like the app over anything else currently out there for z-wave. The developer is very responsive. On the few times that I email regarding a bug he had a fix within 24 hours. Another thing nice is no monthly subscription just a one time purchase. Now is the time to get it.

Jim

Comment

The macOS update is now available as well as our iOS app. Purchasing the iOS app includes the macOS version. Like the iOS version the zHome Plus on macOS will let you create custom rooms, use custom icons for your rooms from your photo library or using the camera and transfer your settings and customizations between devices. Additionally it supports creating and switching between multiple configurations if you have multiple HomeSeer systems. Great if you have a second home or a location with multiple HomeSeer systems running.

This app has been driven by users who have tested and provided feedback into what they wanted and needed. This started as a project to provide something we wanted for ourselves and has grown leaps and bounds because of the invaluable input and ideas of everyone who has used the app. The app keeps improving because of the feedback, both positive and negative that we receive.

We will continue to evolve and expand the app. We have some great ideas coming that we are looking forward to implementing and expanding the functions of both iOS and macOS platforms. If you try and don't find zHome Plus the app you want for your system then please take the time and let us know where it fell short for you. We are always looking for ways to improve and possibly we can evolve into the app that you would want to use.

Comment

I would like the ability to backup all the settings.

Comment

Me too. That’s in development. I am looking at several options, including backup to an iCloud account... so you can restore if needed anywhere. I do think that backups have to address if that will include custom icon images in the backup. Probably best to let that be a user decision and make sure the final design support that.

Comment

Originally posted by lakehawk View Post
              Me too. That’s in development. I am looking at several options, including backup to an iCloud account... so you can restore if needed anywhere. I do think that backups have to address if that will include custom icon images in the backup. Probably best to let that be a user decision and make sure the final design support that.
              Cool. Sounds good.

Jim

Comment

Look forward to this being implemented.

Comment

Should not be too far off.. the setup for this has been in the system for quite some time. Even before you all came on board to test the app the initial iCloud configuration for the app certificates was in place. It just seemed it was more important to actually control the system than to backup something that wasn't finished yet so I never talked about it.

The initial version will be to let you backup your configuration to your iCloud account and restore from there. Which will involve allowing this to be part of the Request Configuration Service that is available when adding a new config for the app.

This is a feature that every single person involved in testing zHome has asked for. So it's long been on the todo list. I just felt the ability to transfer configuration between iPhones and iPads and macOS was higher priority.

One question for you guys... will the ability to "share" the iCloud config info for the app be of any importance? You will be in control of who the data can be shared with and they have to opt in.

I will do a lot of in house testing though before I release this to TestFlight. I'm concerned about handling iCloud issues that may arise.

Comment

One question for you guys... will the ability to "share" the iCloud config info for the app be of any importance? You will be in control of who the data can be shared with and they have to opt in.
                    I do not have a need to share that I could think of.

In that scenario if I needed to share, it would be the current using capability.

Comment

That was my thoughts as well... but figured I would ask.

I have it now saving the config to the cloud and I can retrieve it.. the way this works is that it can have several backups... is that important to give you the ability to chose by date which backup you have and want to restore?

Or do we just store one backup and replace it whenever you tell it to backup again... We have lots of options. We can backup automatically based on time / date or whenever you make a change to something in the settings that would affect the system. This would be network settings, custom rooms, etc. Adding or deleting devices from HomeSeer wouldn't cause this unless it was a device that brought about change to custom rooms or something else...

the issues becomes taking up space by having lots of backups... and should we backup custom room icon images? It appears to me that app backups are not part of your iCloud allotments.. if I've read all this right.. if so then we get like a PetraByte of storage available for app backups.. LOL. I need to do some more research on this, but if that's the case then we might as well dump the images up there for custom icons. Anyone care to verify that this is how it works for App data iCloud backups with CloudKit?

I've been coding this up so I can go anyway we need..but now its time to make some initial decisions so I can eventually turn this lose on the TestFlight gang. Knowing that whatever decisions I make will be wrong.. LOL

Comment

That was my thoughts as well... but figured I would ask.

I have it now saving the config to the cloud and I can retrieve it.. the way this works is that it can have several backups... is that important to give you the ability to chose by date which backup you have and want to restore?

Or do we just store one backup and replace it whenever you tell it to backup again... We have lots of options. We can backup automatically based on time / date or whenever you make a change to something in the settings that would affect the system. This would be network settings, custom rooms, etc. Adding or deleting devices from HomeSeer wouldn't cause this unless it was a device that brought about change to custom rooms or something else...

the issues becomes taking up space by having lots of backups... and should we backup custom room icon images? It appears to me that app backups are not part of your iCloud allotments.. if I've read all this right.. if so then we get like a PetraByte of storage available for app backups.. LOL. I need to do some more research on this, but if that's the case then we might as well dump the images up there for custom icons. Anyone care to verify that this is how it works for App data iCloud backups with CloudKit?

I've been coding this up so I can go anyway we need..but now its time to make some initial decisions so I can eventually turn this lose on the TestFlight gang. Knowing that whatever decisions I make will be wrong.. LOL
                        Yes, I believe that choosing the date of the backup would be an advantageous otherwise, it would be the last backup which might be the one that I buggered up. Known to happen.

Comment

But do you want to control when it backs up or do you want it to just back it up as it thinks it appropriate?

Comment

Good question.

I think controls would be the best approach as therefore user definable.

Conversely, circling back to back up policies and recovery, if the ability backup or share offline via other medium say email, that put the controls in the user and they can determine the retention period.

Comment

Well I have to figure out how I avoid having to pay for storing everyone's backups... turns out there is no such thing as a free lunch...

Comment

Working...
                              X