Outdoor switch mounting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Outdoor switch mounting

I'm looking to install some HS switches outside. I don't see any outside switch covers that work with any of the HS switches.
    Has anyone successfully installed an outside switch that protects it from the elements?

Thanks

Originally posted by denisl View Post
    I'm looking to install some HS switches outside. I don't see any outside switch covers that work with any of the HS switches.
    Has anyone successfully installed an outside switch that protects it from the elements?

Thanks
    There are a few covers (face plates) to modify US type switches here : https://www.amazon.com/Sealproof-Wea...988616&sr=8-19

Eman.
    TinkerLand : Life's Choices,"No One Size Fits All"

Comment

For single gang boxes, I just use these and buy the cheaper and longer lasting standard Z-Wave switches as they will be covered anyway, and who cares if you have Decora outside. But they also sell Decora switch covers if you already have a stock of them.

https://www.amazon.com/Made-Weatherp.../dp/B01NGT8YOI

Comment

I got my outside switch-box cover from Home Depot. Most any should work for rocker decora style switches.

Comment

Thanks for the ideas.
          I was hoping there was something more along the lines of this that would work but doesn't look like there are any options for smart switchs.
          https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07F1C6V8J/
          Click image for larger versionName:	71h4UHzCMhL._SL1500_.jpgViews:	0Size:	36.8 KBID:	1416211

Comment

I have a zwave fan controller mounted outside but it's under a 14' deep patio. It's Texas so I'm surprised our 100+ degree summers haven't killed it, last couple of winters were mild here. 2 years and it's still working fine. As I write it's raining steadily so I presume the humidity is 100% outside. Definitely not conditions you'd want an electronic device living in. I don't care if it dies horribly since I used an old GE/Jasco fan controller, and I have abundant replacements laying around from when I upgraded to the HS-FC200+ fan controllers.

If I didn't have a sheltered area, I would have used this:

https://www.amazon.com/Taymac-MM420C...9017525&sr=8-5

Current code in Texas requires these types of outlet covers that allow an item to be plugged in and the cover closed securely, they are available in single and 2 gang. Since this one is clear you can easily see your device. It's also fairly straight forward to lift the cover, activate your switch and then close the cover again. Tell the kids it launches missiles or something fun.

Since this is a device in a 'damp' location I also suggest it's protected by a GFCI circuit (mine is) since presumably you're going to be touching it occasionally to activate it. Better safe than sorry.

It occurs to me, you could also use an accessory switch outside and then have your home HS switch inside the home. The nice thing is that the accessory switches are low voltage, and unless I'm mistaken, have no electronics in them. The main reason to use an accessory switch is if you are leary of placing a $50US device in a harsh environment that may significantly impact it's lifespan.
            HS4 Pro on Shuttle NC10U, Win10; Z-NET
            Number of Devices: 449
            Number of Events: 210

Plug-Ins: Arduino, BLLock, DirecTv, EasyTrigger, Honeywell WiFi Thermostat, MeiHarmonyHub, PHLocation2, Pushover 3P, UltraM1G3, WeatherXML, Worx Landroid, Z-Wave

External applications: Homebridge-homeseer, Geofency, EgiGeoZone.

Comment

Here installed a 120VAC lamp over the grill and an outlet for a 120VAC rotisserie. Installed a UPB switch next to the grill for the lamp and had another one configured in side of the home next to a window looking out at the grill. Worked fine for 15 years.
              - Pete

Auto mator
              Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb- Mono 6.12.X - HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets
              Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro - Mono 6.12.X
              HS4 Pro - V4.1.11.0 - Ubuntu 20.01/VB W7e 64 bit Intel Kaby Lake CPU - 32Gb - Mono
              HS4 Lite -

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Smartthings hub, Hubitat Hub, and Home Assistant

Comment

Working...
              X