Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Phillips Hue bulbs: E26 vs BR30s

Scenario:
    I have 4" recessed cans in my livingroom with 8' high ceilings. Both a E26 or BR30 shaped bulb will fit.

Question:
    Given that some Hue bulbs go sale when others don't, I don't want to limit my options to grab a bargain on these expensive bulbs. Given the recessed can size and the height of my ceilings, is there a distinct advantage of using one bulb over the other? It seems I could get away with the E26 given how low my ceilings are and not sacrifice much in terms of light?

All insights appreciated.

I have cans that hold BR30s and others that hold BR40s. That type of bulb has a larger and flatter glass area and give better light than E26 bulbs.

But note that the E26 defines the screw thread into the socket and BR30 defines the glass size, you're comparing apples and oranges although you know which one is which.

They are both E26. A "regular" bulb shape is defined by "A19" IIRC.

Comment

Yep, understood on the bulb size vs socket size, unfortunately Phillips calls their normal (close to A19 shape) bulb model the E26. I'm simply pulling the information straight from their website. And their "normal" E26 model isn't really omnidirectional like a true A19 shape. I'm assuming you don't own any Hues bulbs?

Comment

I do own hues. 6 in a wagon wheel fixture that the grandkids love and one more as a communication point for all my zigbee sensors and switches.

I had others behind glass fixtures but I didn't like how only half the glass reflected the color due to the porcelain base.

Comment

racerfern any opinion on how the their "normal" A19 or BR30 bulbs cast light? Could you see putting their normal bulbs in a recessed ceiling fixture?

Comment

My personal opinion is that the larger glass area of the BR bulbs is much better for lighting open areas.

Comment

TC1 I've put BR30 bulbs in BR40 fixtures only because these particular bulbs dimmed to 1% whereas the BR40s I have only dim to about 30%. Even in the wrong size can, the bulbs give out tons of light due to the silver colored reflector inside the can. So I use the BR30s in the living room where we watch TV and use the BR40s in the kitchen and home office where you generally don't want mood dimming.

Comment

Working...
              X