Amazon Blink Cameras

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amazon Blink Cameras

Has anyone used the new Amazon Blink Video Camera? Results? Are they usable without a cloud connection and accessible in HS with a simple URL?

I haven't tried to use the Blink cameras but I am using the Wyze cameras and they work great. They have a firmware flash you can download and flash the firmware to the camera and then the camera will do RTSP (you don't need their cloud). The camera will create the URL for you.The quality is very good and for $25 a camera you can't beat them.

Comment

Just got a couple of the Blink Minis during one of the pre Prime Day specials and so far I am impressed. Would love to be able to figure out how to trigger off of them through Homeseer as well!

I wonder if we could just use Alexa routines to trigger Homeseer events or actions?

Comment

Originally posted by chewie View Post
        Just got a couple of the Blink Minis during one of the pre Prime Day specials and so far I am impressed. Would love to be able to figure out how to trigger off of them through Homeseer as well!

I wonder if we could just use Alexa routines to trigger Homeseer events or actions?
        If Alexa "sees" the camera as a motion sensor, you can. I don't have Blink cameras, but you can set an Alexa routine with Ring cameras and doorbells. I made a virtual switch for each. If the Ring detects motion or a doorbell press, a virtual switch is flipped which triggers an event. Then the switch is later turned off. It works well so far, learned this from the Ring plugin forum, I think.

Comment

I have been playing with that a bit, tossed the Blink into my office and set up a routine to trigger a virtual device which fires off an event. Can work very well for a clever security style event.

Comment

Just got a Blink indoor camera for $5 on a Prime Day deal. Hate the Blink app so far. Hoping I can ditch it for something HS related.....

Comment

Originally posted by chewie View Post
              I have been playing with that a bit, tossed the Blink into my office and set up a routine to trigger a virtual device which fires off an event. Can work very well for a clever security style event.
              I have quite a few Blink cameras and, for the money, they work pretty well. I'm hoping someone has worked out a methodology to allow some event triggering through Homeseer. Any help would be appreciated!! Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Stevelc514 View Post

I have quite a few Blink cameras and, for the money, they work pretty well. I'm hoping someone has worked out a methodology to allow some event triggering through Homeseer. Any help would be appreciated!! Thanks
                Yes, you can use motion to trigger events, turn on devices, etc. by using IFTTT which supports both Blink and HomeSeer. You will be going through 3 cloud services (camera > Blink > IFTTT > HomeSeer Online > HomeSeer Local) so I would expect there is a delay, but it should work.

Comment

Originally posted by Stevelc514 View Post

You can also set up a routine in Alexa using the camera motion to start the routine. Have the routine flip a virtual switch in Homeseer, and trigger events off the virtual switch.

Comment

Has anyone used the new Amazon Blink Video Camera? Results?

Blink is now owned by Amazon. Ring is also owned by Amazon.

I have purchased two outdoor Blink cameras and installed them next door in the last few weeks. (elderly couple). Noticed major battery drain in the last couple of weeks. Need to adjust it. Just had neighbors pay for sub on Amazon. I also put a new Amazon Alexa there (and they like it a bunch) and last year installed a Ring Doorbell there. Also just installed WiFi switch #2 there and testing it with Tasmota / Alexa. They are Apple users (Macs, Tablets and iPhones) and do well for their age. They like technology and automation and going slow baby steps with them doing this stuff when I have free time.

The Blink cameras are wireless and tiny and are cloud cameras with a paid sub which I configured today after 30 days of use. One is on the driveway and the second one is on the deck. I am configuring the front camera with power using an automotive style tiny Bucky transformer powered next to the hub which is plugged inside on the wall next to the garage door. I put an outlet there replacing an used garage coach lamp 3 way switch. Configuring the Deck Blink camera mounting it on the deck rails facing the house and deck. It works OK for being wireless and similar to the Hikvision DB. Way back removed the DB from the cloud app and doing direct RTSP, ONVIF and JPG captures to Zoneminder, Blue Iris and Monocle reverse proxy gateway (for Alexa).

Are they usable without a cloud connection and accessible in HS with a simple URL?

As sold no.

That said there is a Home Assistant plugin called Blink that streams RTSP that works with the Blink Camera. This appears to be a HA plugin only. The Ring to MQTT works fine without Home Assistant or can be installed as a Home Assistant plugin.

Note here running HS4 Pro and Home Assistant on same new box in Ubuntu Linux 20.XX. It is also running Oracle VB Windows for SAPI speech and audio (multiple speech fonts to Russound and mixing this with Alexa audio. IE: put a dot for audio next to the Russound distributed audio amp.

Personally have been tinkering with CCTV since the analogue days. IE: ran Zoneminder way back with an Axis Server and an 8 port 8 chip video card. Best CCTV is wired POE. Wireless CCTV is only OK. Here utilize Ruckus APs (well now in two homes).

Today totally managing the Ring alarm system in house #2 via HS4 / HA in house #1. Easier than using my phone. I also have installed HS4 and HA in house #2 which is currently running on a Pine64 2Gb computer but switching it over to the tiny Jetway computer recently purchased.
                    - Pete

Auto mator
                    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                    HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

I am not happy with my outdoor Blink XT-2 wireless camera. It is located in VT and I am in CA. My modem there had to be reset recently and the camera never came back online, even after power cycling the Sync Module a few times. I have other devices that did come back online. I'm looking for a reliable alternative to Blink.

Comment

Did this ever get figured out? Can you view Blink cameras in homeseer?

-Tim

HSPro - 3.XXX - Dell mini W7 x32
                        Way2 Call
                        Elk M1 Gold
                        UPB HAI switches
                        HAI RC2000 Thermostat

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
                          Has anyone used the new Amazon Blink Video Camera? Results?

Blink is now owned by Amazon. Ring is also owned by Amazon.

I have purchased two outdoor Blink cameras and installed them next door in the last few weeks. (elderly couple). Noticed major battery drain in the last couple of weeks. Need to adjust it. Just had neighbors pay for sub on Amazon. I also put a new Amazon Alexa there (and they like it a bunch) and last year installed a Ring Doorbell there. Also just installed WiFi switch Forum there and testing it with Tasmota / Alexa. They are Apple users (Macs, Tablets and iPhones) and do well for their age. They like technology and automation and going slow baby steps with them doing this stuff when I have free time.

The Blink cameras are wireless and tiny and are cloud cameras with a paid sub which I configured today after 30 days of use. One is on the driveway and the second one is on the deck. I am configuring the front camera with power using an automotive style tiny Bucky transformer powered next to the hub which is plugged inside on the wall next to the garage door. I put an outlet there replacing an used garage coach lamp 3 way switch. Configuring the Deck Blink camera mounting it on the deck rails facing the house and deck. It works OK for being wireless and similar to the Hikvision DB. Way back removed the DB from the cloud app and doing direct RTSP, ONVIF and JPG captures to Zoneminder, Blue Iris and Monocle reverse proxy gateway (for Alexa).

Are they usable without a cloud connection and accessible in HS with a simple URL?

As sold no.

That said there is a Home Assistant plugin called Blink that streams RTSP that works with the Blink Camera. This appears to be a HA plugin only. The Ring to MQTT works fine without Home Assistant or can be installed as a Home Assistant plugin.

Note here running HS4 Pro and Home Assistant on same new box in Ubuntu Linux 20.XX. It is also running Oracle VB Windows for SAPI speech and audio (multiple speech fonts to Russound and mixing this with Alexa audio. IE: put a dot for audio next to the Russound distributed audio amp.

Personally have been tinkering with CCTV since the analogue days. IE: ran Zoneminder way back with an Axis Server and an 8 port 8 chip video card. Best CCTV is wired POE. Wireless CCTV is only OK. Here utilize Ruckus APs (well now in two homes).

Today totally managing the Ring alarm system in house Forum via HS4 / HA in house Home Easier than using my phone. I also have installed HS4 and HA in house Forum which is currently running on a Pine64 2Gb computer but switching it over to the tiny Jetway computer recently purchased.
                          I'd sure like to know how you are talking to blink from HS?

Comment

I'd sure like to know how you are talking to blink from HS?

I am not. I installed the Blink cameras next door and the next door neighbors do not use Homeseer.
                            - Pete

Auto mator
                            Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                            Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                            HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                            HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Working...
                            X