Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bebaldin View Post
    <snip>
    I never use the Z-Tool app for this kind of thing - I have never had any luck at all with secure devices doing them any other way than setting the device and the Z-Net interface together on the desk and controlling inclusion using the web page on a computer. The app is far too finicky for this.
    I think the app isn't really doing something itself. It's just asking HS to do the inclusion/exclusion and shows you the message that you would otherwise see the the web browser. Having said that, I agree that including locks are a bit of a pain. The dome siren also didn't work the first time.

Comment

Yep, the Z-Tool app is just a mobile front-end, all the work is done in HS. No difference where one starts the inclusion/exclusion process.

One of the main reasons I run HS on a laptop is so that I can work directly next to problem nodes, eliminate routing hops at the issue, and get immediate feedback.

Comment

Originally posted by TC1 View Post
        Yep, the Z-Tool app is just a mobile front-end, all the work is done in HS. No difference where one starts the inclusion/exclusion process.

One of the main reasons I run HS on a laptop is so that I can work directly next to problem nodes, eliminate routing hops at the issue, and get immediate feedback.
        Except that for me, the app crashes consistently whenever errors like this occur. I have been using it for many years, across multiple devices, and it always acts the same. I used to use a z-stick to do inclusions, which worked well back in the day when it was the SIS, but when you run a network with a primary and secondaries, you cannot even do that if the z-stick is the secondary, since synchronization doesn't work right to the Z-Net secondaries, either.

Comment

I have two Schlage door locks and a KwikSet lock. At first I experienced the same thing until I took the lock, held it right up the stick and did a remove bad node. Then I did a regular include (from the webscreen) clicking start to let HS start sending the put the device in inclusion mode, then hit the correct keypad combination on the Schlage's and then the include button on the Kwikset.

This prevents the lock from timing out. Hold it up, start in include process (I think it gives about 10 message at about 10 seconds apart, so that's a lot of time) then trigger the include function in the lock.

Also, before I added the beaming repeaters into the network the locks were really iffy or totally non responsive. It seems that NO HST switch or dimmer or any of the GE Enbrighten dimmers support beaming. So I bit the bullet, bought two beaming repeaters, added them to the system, and placed them in strategic places. In order to insure that the lock is not randomly assigned a optimization path that does not contain the repeater (even with the repeater right next to the lock HS just assigns another asinine neighbor that does crap!) , I went into the Z-Wave Set Command Path in the Z-Seer+ utility and just specified the repeater as it's neighbor. Ever since all 3 locks are very reliable. I just have to remember to exclude them from future grand optimize network commands or else HS will assign another asinine neighbor again that doesn't support beaming.

Comment

As far as HS4 goes, if locks are an issue with it, I guess I will continue to avoid it. I already have a PRO license for it and a brand new S6 PRO that no one at Homeseer has been able to help me get working. If you are 'upgrading' from an SEL to an S6, do yourself a favor and save your money. I'm out a grand on this with something I can't use.
            Hey - I had a YEAR of woes with my S6 Pro device. It kept me from migrating off of StarGate to it for literally a full year. Every few days it seemed, my Z-Wave Internet node went from green to red light. SO I would give the Pro a one-finger-salute to hardboot it, and it would then behave for another few days. It was so reliably unstable I couldn't understand it, and I contacted support and got bupkus help. It's the primary weakness of the entire business paradigm...which I am going through yet again for the last 6 weeks. Today was my only day of the week where I can be home and responsive to support instructions and efforts(They know this), yet they ignored me yet again. ANYWAY, what is happening to you with your S6 Pro, perhaps we can help where support won't?

Comment

Originally posted by George View Post
              I have two Schlage door locks and a KwikSet lock...
              I started my odyssey with having two Schlages working fine. I decided to add another. It failed. Repeatedly. So I returned it and bought a different one. SAME. So I returned it and bought two YALE locks (not z-wave PLUS, just z-wave), and FAIL. I contacted tech support repeatedly with no response for weeks, then suddenly someone in management must have read one of my "burns"/whines about my situation and a tech guy actually CALLED me cold, to offer support. That support ticket is currently at NINETY-SIX MESSAGES back and forth, in part because the guys at HS won't read previous messages and keep suggesting the same steps I've already accomplished/documented as FAIL measures. They also suggest CRAP measures, such as how to set up a task schedule that restarts HS on reboot, that was completely the flaw that my HS 6 Pro arrived with which kept me from migrating to HS for OVER A BLOODY YEAR. What they haven't done is solve my problems. Currently I have completely wiped HS4 and done a virgin install several times. I've wiped the Z-Wave database separately once I learned it was a unique database apart from HS4. I can add locks (Yale and Schlage) successfully, but it WILL NOT add any of HomeSeer's 1000 or 2000 switches which were fully and happily installed prior to my lock fiascoes.
              You would think that support would find this a problem unique. One suggested I need to buy another Z-Wave Internet node, so yes, I've blown $130 to get a second one. Worst case, I have better coverage over my 3-story home and best case, it will install these dozens of wall switches that WILL NOT install/uninstall with my current system. I've installed a variety of other sensors/devices, but HS4 completely ignores the opportunity to either uninstall or uninstall their switches, alone. I find that maniacally funny. Ha. Ha. Effing... Ha.

Comment

I just got another schlage, model BE469ZP, and it installed perfectly NOW, I held it to the z-wave interface within inches for the entire process on ZTool+ on my GoogleFi android phone. What a great experience. Still cannot get any of the HomeSeer switches, 1000 and 2000, to either uninstall nor to install. <sigh>

Comment

Originally posted by TexARC View Post

Hey - I had a YEAR of woes with my S6 Pro device. It kept me from migrating off of StarGate to it for literally a full year. Every few days it seemed, my Z-Wave Internet node went from green to red light. SO I would give the Pro a one-finger-salute to hardboot it, and it would then behave for another few days. It was so reliably unstable I couldn't understand it, and I contacted support and got bupkus help. It's the primary weakness of the entire business paradigm...which I am going through yet again for the last 6 weeks. Today was my only day of the week where I can be home and responsive to support instructions and efforts(They know this), yet they ignored me yet again. ANYWAY, what is happening to you with your S6 Pro, perhaps we can help where support won't?
                  I have been completely unable to move my home setup over to the S6. I think this problem lies with the events I have set up (admittedly - there are a lot of them - more than 1000) and one of the reasons I wanted to move to the S6 is that the SEL is pretty hard pressed to keep up with my home setup. I can get the S6 onlne, get the plug-ins to initialize and such, but the events from my SEL don't come over. There are none listed on the S6. This could be because of the fact that the SEL is HS3, and the S6 is HS4, but I absolutely will not compromise my working HS3 solution to attempt to upgrade it to HS4 first. Given all the grief I have read about HS4, the only way I am willing to use it is on a brand new controller where I can work with it offline extensively until I am absolutely certain it is as reliable as the SEL.

The responses I have gotten from HS have been basically: 'No one moves from an SEL to an S6; its always the other way around.' I don't buy that. If the S6 is not intended as an upgrade from the SEL, it should clearly give this warning before allowing someone to purchase it. HS knows what you are currently using for a controller, because they ask for that very piece of information before you order.

Comment

Originally posted by TexARC View Post
                    I just got another schlage, model BE469ZP, and it installed perfectly NOW, I held it to the z-wave interface within inches for the entire process on ZTool+ on my GoogleFi android phone. What a great experience. Still cannot get any of the HomeSeer switches, 1000 and 2000, to either uninstall nor to install. <sigh>
                    This surprises me - I have about 50 of the Homeseer switches and they have been about the simplest devices yet to include and configure. But, I am on HS3, so not sure if that plays a role. Like every other device, I include it and set it up before I ever wire it in at its final location. I will usually add it at my desk, then take it to its location with a stinger cord, optimize it to set the routes and neighbors, and then once I am satisfied, wire it in, and remove the old device separately. I mark out all the old device items with a location of 'Defunct', and then use those to find every event I need to change over for the new device. With so many events, this is about the only way I am sure of getting them changed from old device to new. Once the events are all updated, I exclude the old device from the network.

Comment

... the events from my SEL don't come over. There are none listed on the S6. This could be because of the fact that the SEL is HS3, and the S6 is HS4, ...
                      FWIW, the events are one area where I (in my admittedly limited experience) noticed the most differences between HS3 and HS4 - each step in defining an event in HS4 seems to trigger interactions with the device database in a more derivative way, building as it/I go along in the defining of the event. Despite this, they did manage to find some method for translating the hs3 events into the HS4 habitat. It may be that you have already tried defining a few events in the HS4 to replicate the SEL events?
                      The inclusion process of adding devices in HS4 is obviously buggy IMO - I have two identical wallwart zwave switches, and both added easily, but their appearance in the device screen are different, where one has the off and on options right up front, and the other requires drilling down a level to "control" the switch. I have refrained from installing all of the WS1000 and 2000 switches (several dozen more) until I knew that HS was going to be as stable as my 22-y.o. StarGate system - they sit in a box in a closet. I share your frustrations but remain optimistic just because. &lt;sigh&gt;

Comment

Working...
                      X