Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to copy log file to another location?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• viper5030
    replied
    I have resorted to running a Python script from a server every 15 min. to write out the log file to a CSV in a network location. So when I reboot, the most I'll lose from the log files is 15 min., which is better than nothing!

Leave a comment:

• BobSpen
    replied
    Originally posted by viper5030 View Post

I've set them to anything ranging from 0 to 100 MB and 1 to 14 days, no change on the behavior of the reboot.

To make sure we're on the same page here, you're saying the Zee S2 on HS3 does not delete its log file on reboot?
    I run on a PC(Windows10) and HS3 does NOT delete Logs on reboot. Zee S2? I will leave for others to comment further.

Leave a comment:

• viper5030
    replied
    Originally posted by lveatch View Post
    I do not have a zee, but if it is configured like a z-net is - by design, then /tmp is a tempfs. In other words, ram only in that it's not actually writing to the SD card saving IO on the card and elongating card life. As tmpfs is memory, everything is lost on shutdown. You would need to copy your log file somewhere on /dev/ file system to survive a reboot.
    Very interesting theory on the /tmp folder for the Zee, but when I pull the plug on it (which I know is bad), the files in the /tmp folder are preserved. So that tells me its actually some sort of non-volatile memory. Which makes it even more of a mystery why HS chooses to actively delete it on reboot.

Originally posted by lveatch View Post
    try changing your backslashes "" to forward slashes "/" and remove the space in /tmp/HomeSeerLog.hsd.... for example.....
    CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject").FileCopy("/tmp/HomeSeerLog.hsd","/home/homeseer/Documents/HomeSeerLog.hsd")
    Thanks for the suggestion, but no dice. The error I get is "Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation."

I'm going to try it in C# tomorrow and will post the results.

Leave a comment:

• lveatch
    replied
    I'm trying to come up with a shutdown script to copy the log file over to another location in the filesystem of my HomeTroller Zee S2 before it gets deleted.

I thought something like this would do the trick, but it doesn't seem to be working:
    CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject").FileCopy("\tmp\Ho meSeerLog.hsd","\home\homeseer\Documents\HomeSeerLog.hsd")

BTW, I'm a noob here, so let me know if you have any tips and tricks for debugging or writing scripts in general. I'm on HS4. Thanks in advance!
    try changing your backslashes "" to forward slashes "/" and remove the space in /tmp/HomeSeerLog.hsd.... for example.....

CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject").FileCopy("/tmp/HomeSeerLog.hsd","/home/homeseer/Documents/HomeSeerLog.hsd")

Leave a comment:

• lveatch
    replied

Thanks for your input, but HS support has confirmed that this is 100% intended behavior. I'm not sure who to believe here. Yes, I'm checking filters and even the SQLite file itself -the data gets deleted every time I reboot. I agree that it sort of defeats the purpose, so I'm certainly not happy with the answer I got from support. Any further guidance you can give me from this point would be appreciated.
    I do not have a zee, but if it is configured like a z-net is - by design, then /tmp is a tempfs. In other words, ram only in that it's not actually writing to the SD card saving IO on the card and elongating card life. As tmpfs is memory, everything is lost on shutdown. You would need to copy your log file somewhere on /dev/ file system to survive a reboot.

pi@Z-Net:~ $ df -h
    Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
    /dev/root 3.6G 914M 2.6G 27% /
    devtmpfs 459M 0 459M 0% /dev
    tmpfs 463M 0 463M 0% /dev/shm
    tmpfs 463M 47M 417M 11% /run
    tmpfs 463M 12K 463M 1% /run/lock
    tmpfs 463M 0 463M 0% /sys/fs/cgroup
    tmpfs 463M 0 463M 0% /var/tmp
    tmpfs 1.0M 1.0M 0 100% /var/log
    tmpfs 463M 0 463M 0% /tmp
    /dev/mmcblk0p1 63M 21M 43M 33% /boot

Leave a comment:

• viper5030
    replied
    Originally posted by BobSpen View Post
    What are your settings in "Tools/Setup/General" for Log file(or wherever it is in HS4)?
    Maybe others running HS4 can comment????
    I've set them to anything ranging from 0 to 100 MB and 1 to 14 days, no change on the behavior of the reboot.

To make sure we're on the same page here, you're saying the Zee S2 on HS3 does not delete its log file on reboot?

Leave a comment:

• BobSpen
    replied
    What are your settings in "Tools/Setup/General" for Log file(or wherever it is in HS4)?
    Maybe others running HS4 can comment????

Leave a comment:

• viper5030
    replied
    Originally posted by BobSpen View Post

I'm still on HS3 and Log file is not deleted on reboot. Since the core of HS4 is same as HS3, I doubt it is being deleted on reboot--this would almost defeat it's purpose. The only deleting that should occur is when the limits you set in "Setup/General" have been exceeded(time limit or size limit). Please recheck the filter date and time setting on log page.
    Thanks for your input, but HS support has confirmed that this is 100% intended behavior. I'm not sure who to believe here. Yes, I'm checking filters and even the SQLite file itself -the data gets deleted every time I reboot. I agree that it sort of defeats the purpose, so I'm certainly not happy with the answer I got from support. Any further guidance you can give me from this point would be appreciated.

Leave a comment:

• BobSpen
    replied

It gets deleted upon reboot. Support has confirmed this is intended behavior.

EDIT: I didn't pay attention to whether this happened on HS3 before I upgraded a couple weeks ago. Maybe it's a "feature" of HS4
    I'm still on HS3 and Log file is not deleted on reboot. Since the core of HS4 is same as HS3, I doubt it is being deleted on reboot--this would almost defeat it's purpose. The only deleting that should occur is when the limits you set in "Setup/General" have been exceeded(time limit or size limit). Please recheck the filter date and time setting on log page.

Leave a comment:

• viper5030
    replied
    Originally posted by Uncle Michael View Post
    I don't use the Zee, but are you sure the log is being deleted? I would expect it to be continually pruned to keep its size within the limits you've set in the setup page, but otherwise survive a restart of HS. (In HS3, the log filter is reset to begin at the point the last session started, but the filter can be reset to view log entries prior to shutdown. I assume HS4 on the Zee is similar, but I don't know. Have you tried?)
    It gets deleted upon reboot. Support has confirmed this is intended behavior.

EDIT: I didn't pay attention to whether this happened on HS3 before I upgraded a couple weeks ago. Maybe it's a "feature" of HS4

Leave a comment:

• Uncle Michael
    replied
    I don't use the Zee, but are you sure the log is being deleted? I would expect it to be continually pruned to keep its size within the limits you've set in the setup page, but otherwise survive a restart of HS. (In HS3, the log filter is reset to begin at the point the last session started, but the filter can be reset to view log entries prior to shutdown. I assume HS4 on the Zee is similar, but I don't know. Have you tried?)

Leave a comment:

• viper5030
    started a topic How to copy log file to another location?

How to copy log file to another location?

I'm trying to come up with a shutdown script to copy the log file over to another location in the filesystem of my HomeTroller Zee S2 before it gets deleted.

I thought something like this would do the trick, but it doesn't seem to be working:
    CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject").FileCopy("\tmp\Ho meSeerLog.hsd","\home\homeseer\Documents\HomeSeerLog.hsd")

BTW, I'm a noob here, so let me know if you have any tips and tricks for debugging or writing scripts in general. I'm on HS4. Thanks in advance!
Working...
X