Regulating Water Dripping System

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Regulating Water Dripping System

I only have one zone for my water dripping system for plants. However, I have some areas that need less or even no water during winter time while others do need water. I could go through the pain of adding more zones including installing all the piping (some of which go under tiles). Right now I can control it with manual valves on the main pipe of the water dripping system. I have not found any solution that can regulate the water on water dripping systems. Is there any solution like that?

I do not see how your situation is different than a standard irrigation system were irrigation needs for different zones are controlled by solenoid valves that isolate one segment of the water supply from other segments. You obviously have the plumbing in place. You just need to add the valves and means to control each valve.

Comment

The valves or a regular irrigation system are made for the high pressure PBC pipes but I am dealing with pipes from a dripping system.

Comment

Clearly you need a zoned system if you need to water plants or groups of plants differently from other plants or groups of plants.

To really answer your questions we need to know a lot more about how the existing system is implemented. Is it a star and hub type system or a bus type system? In other words, do you have individual lines running to each plant (or group of plants) or do you have a main line that you tap off to water each plant?

Based on your initial post it sounds like you have a system with a main line that you tap off to each plant.

Comment

Drip systems that I have employed have a 5/8" flexible main water line and then 1/8" tubes with drip heads. I have also mounted the drop heads directly on the main flexible line. Adapters are available at the local hardware store to get from the 5/8" flexible to hose or pipe threads. These are normally used when connecting to the water supply. There are a wide range of small solenoid water valves that are either pipe thread of slip fit. A quick look on AliExpress https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale...water+solenoid

Thinking about it again, I do not see a way to segment an existing drip line without adding additional bypass line so water is able to get to the second segment if the first segment has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael McSharry View Post
            ...Thinking about it again, I do not see a way to segment an existing drip line without adding additional bypass line so water is able to get to the second segment if the first segment has been turned off.
            Exactly. So he would need a valve for each plant or group of plants and have to build a system to power them and control them. Is it doable? Absolutely. Just get a bunch of valves, run power to the valves for control and sprinkle in a bunch of ESP8266 type devices with a some sort of back-end system to control it all and voila.

Comment

Working...
            X