Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Distance between Zwave+ nodes outside - line of site?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fresnoboy
    replied
    I would second the recommendation to use zigbee devices, a conbee II and the jowihue plugin. It works very nicely for me, is faster and more reliable than my zwave network (which is now mostly reliable), and has a lot of cheap snesors and switches available, though choices in wall switches are a bit weak.

I much prefer zigbee and even zwave over wifi switches because I worry about chinese software in devices that can talk to the Internet for security reasons. I do have a couple wifi relays because I needed a lot of relays in a couple places, but I put them on a separate vlan and have the firewall block them from talking to anything other than homeseer. While they work well in the house, the 8266 modules used by many of them have lousy wifi range, and they can be unreliable unless you have good wifi in those locations. They don't mesh either, so you are really dependent on the wifi working well for control, which may not be ok depending on how you are using them.

Leave a comment:

• danielbo
    replied
    WiFi Smart Outlet, Smart Secure Home Power Control Socket,2.4G WiFi Only, No Hub Required, Compatible with Alexa and Google Home

AND

Smart Plug, POWRUI Mini WIFI Outlet, from amazon.
    I hope this helps. Thank you?

Leave a comment:

• aa6vh
    replied
    It might help if we knew what kind of Wifi plugs you have. Different Wifi plugs have different ways of controlling them, and you need the correct plugin for your plugs.

Leave a comment:

• danielbo
    replied
    I have wifi plugs and have not found a plug in to work for me. The only way I have done this is create a script that tell Alexa to turn the lights on and off. I would rather not do it that way if there is a plug in that I am missing. PLEASE HELP ME, THANK YOU

Leave a comment:

• ewkearns
    replied
    Originally posted by Tomgru View Post
    Sadly this stopped working yesterday. HS4 lost connection to the jasco module, and no amount of pinging/test connectivity would work.

Back to my original question/thought... i may try a zwave plus outlet here and see if that works with the extended range.
    This is exactly my experience with the Jasco switches in my garage. I replaced them with HS Z-Wave+ switches and all has been well, since. I think all of my Jasco switches have either failed or been replaced. I refuse to do Jasco or GE anymore (except the outdoor switch) and I have really been pleased with my wifi switches. They cost about $15 and have worked flawlessly.

Leave a comment:

• aa6vh
    replied
    is this what you use?
    [/URL]
    I am actually using the HS100 instead of the HS105 that you pointed to, but both should work the same. The TP Link plugin is free as I recall.

Costco occasionally sells them in batches of three. I think I got mine for < $10 each.

Leave a comment:

• Michael McSharry
    replied
    I have flashed many different plugs and switches with Tasmota and no longer dependent upon cloud or special purpose plugins. Tuya Convert is used for changing the firmware without opening up the device for most of them. Tuya Convert runs on RPi. Some, such as Sonoff S31 or S31 lite, are flashed with serial connection with wires inserted into holes of the circuit board after they are open. Note that Tasmota has Wemo emulation so if you want to talk directly between the plug and Alexa without HS getting in the middle then you can.

Leave a comment:

• Tomgru
    replied
    is this what you use?
    https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Occup...thewire06oa-20

Leave a comment:

• Tomgru
    replied
    Originally posted by aa6vh View Post
    You are braver than I am. By now, I would have given up and just installed a Wifi plug, since it has better range and still can be controlled by HS.
    Ha... i may now that i just put an access point outside. i have some wemo wifi plugs already but don't want to pay for the PI for this small use case.

HA... i just noticed HS4 has a free wemo PI. go figure :-)

Leave a comment:

• aa6vh
    replied
    You are braver than I am. By now, I would have given up and just installed a Wifi plug, since it has better range and still can be controlled by HS.

Leave a comment:

• Tomgru
    replied
    OK.. i got this module consistently working, but when i do a "total optimization" on it, i get

Optimization succeeded, Add Route experienced a failure

It seems to see only one other neighbor, no where near many others that are much closer to it.

I may try excluding/including again, just to see what neighbors come back and the return route. 50' away almost total line of site is that HS FLoodlight, and both our Zwave+, so i'm baffled why it never sees it.

Leave a comment:

• Tomgru
    replied
    So weird... so that outlet module i installed worked fine last night... i optimized a few times... tested it a bunch... all good. Just tried turning it on today to test, and can't be found. Same thing happened with that power strip. it works awhile, then seems to forget it's route.

Leave a comment:

• TC1
    replied

Yep....thats the way I did it as well. I wonder if I have to bring it closer again with the new neighbors to optimize...so at least it has a return path?
    Maybe, i know I had to do that with my Aeotec battery powered multi-sensor in my garage... it was a struggle to get it to recognize its neighbor right next to it! But because I had the laptop right next to it, it then had a direct route to the controller. I think eventually it "forgot it" once I could get it to optimize.

Leave a comment:

• Tomgru
    replied
    Originally posted by TC1 View Post
    Hmmm... you're doing all the right things as far as I can see... I just checked my furthest away lock on my back door but unfortunately (for this experiment) it has a direct route to my SmartStick+ since i moved the HS4 PC to a center location in the house. So I can't really do any experiments on my side to reproduce your situation.

How did you initially add the lock in the garage? Typical you can't do NWI (network wide inclusion) on older locks and they have to be right near the controller, at least initially.
    Yep....thats the way I did it as well. I wonder if I have to bring it closer again with the new neighbors to optimize...so at least it has a return path?

Leave a comment:

• TC1
    replied
    Hmmm... you're doing all the right things as far as I can see... I just checked my furthest away lock on my back door but unfortunately (for this experiment) it has a direct route to my SmartStick+ since i moved the HS4 PC to a center location in the house. So I can't really do any experiments on my side to reproduce your situation.

How did you initially add the lock in the garage? Typical you can't do NWI (network wide inclusion) on older locks and they have to be right near the controller, at least initially.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X