Reading Brightness/Lux from Surveillance Video Camera

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reading Brightness/Lux from Surveillance Video Camera

Is there any plugin to read the brightness/lux value from a surveillance video camera? I want to control shades and awnings based on the brightness outside. I could install sensors outside but that means more devices on my walls and having to not just replace batteries but also climb ladders to replace those batteries. It's probably not a simple thing because cameras can adjust the gain, they switch from color to b/w, etc. But if there in anything like that I would be very interested.

If you don't find anything like that, here's a suggestion:

GY-302 BH1750 BH1750FVI light intensity illumination module 3V-5V
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3234...27424c4d7nvKE4

https://tasmota.github.io/docs/BH1750/

it doesn't require batteries, just small gauge / low voltage wire (4 conductors), Sonoff basic + mcsmqtt.
    It's very small so you can install it in a window corner or outdoors under a soffit or elsewhere as long as it's protected from rain.

Comment

I was thinking of installing some light sensors in the windows. It won't work for downstairs because the awnings will block the sunlight. I could possibly do that in some of the windows on the second story. I even have a 4C cable + CAT 6a cables go to most of my windows. I was hoping to avoid a custom solution and instead do this through the camera. Also I couldn't find any small z-wave device that I can easily hide behind the mounting of the shades. How do you read those intensity illuminators? Through an Arduino? I do have the Arduino PI and use it for some functions but I really try to avoid this as much as I can.

Comment

I use a Pi with a BH1750 I2C light sensor and a small Python script to serve the luminance as an HTTP request, then a simple event-script on HS that polls this and updates a virtual device.

The sensor is stuck at the very top of my roof so there are no shadows; the Pi is in the loft, and a 1m re-purposed USB cable seems no problem for the I2C connection.

Comment

Here using a Tasmota flashed Sonoff basic that simply sends the data to MCSMQTT. You assign lux data to a HS device.

Comment

Working...
          X