Can anyone explain...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can anyone explain...?

I only intermittently get interested in this question, as I have now that I learned Restart is not built for HS4 and the developer has no intention of doing so. Can anyone explain why HS4, designed to provide remote control, offers no native startup, shutdown or reboot functions? I must be missing something.
    HS4Pro on Windows 10
    One install with 2 Ethernet Z-nets
    2nd install with 1 Ethernet Z-net
    300 devices, 250 events, 8 scripts
    6 CT-100 tstats
    Serial IT-100 interface to DSC Panel with 8 wired zones
    18 Fortrezz water sensors & two valve controls

For what it is worth: I can't answer your question, but I can say that I for years have used "Always On" and it has been rock solid. The primary use case is to bring Homeseer up successfully after the host reboots which is all I really need.

If there is a need to handle restarts remotely etc., this would probably not help you but I just thought I would put it out there.

Dennis

Comment

What is the issue? Not being able to restart or shutdown your computer? What? That is a OS function and is available for both Windows and Linux! It certainly is possible from HS to reboot or shutdown your computer if you are a little more of an advanced user. Actually, isn't there a HomeSeer scripting API for this. If not, it is still possible from HS to shell out to the OS and run your desired functionality.

Originally posted by Sheriff View Post
      I only intermittently get interested in this question, as I have now that I learned Restart is not built for HS4 and the developer has no intention of doing so. Can anyone explain why HS4, designed to provide remote control, offers no native startup, shutdown or reboot functions? I must be missing something.
      HomeSeer 2, HomeSeer 3, Allonis myServer, Amazon Alexa Dots, ELK M1G, ISY 994i, HomeKit, BlueIris, and 6 "4k" Cameras using NVR, and integration between all of these systems. Home Automation since 1980.

Comment

No krumpy. If you are familiar with restart, it allowed the shut down and restart of HS f rom within the HS mobile app...handy if you’re 1,000 miles away and HS is acting up. Added bonus, could reboot your server if needed. Plenty written on the subject...just seems like a logical feature to many of us. Not every user is a coder.
        HS4Pro on Windows 10
        6 CT-100 tstats

Comment

Check the forum and site of Jon00. He has restart and shutdown utilities available for both HS3 and HS4. You will find what you are looking for there

And Krumpy is not wrong, you can create a HS script to do the shutdown and restart functions in an script. Even using the &hs method as direct command would work.
          Calling this script in an event will enable you to trigger the even anywhere away from home, by using HS Mobile events and/or the website of HS by using remote access through MyHS

Wim
          -- Wim

Plugins:RFXCOM, HSTouch Server, Squeezebox, BLGData, Restart, Jon00's Perfmon and Network monitor, WeatherXML, BLBackup, TenScripting, BC4, Pushover, PHLocation, JowiHue, Zwave, Sonos
          650 devices ---- 336 events ----- 40 scripts

Comment

Sheriff,

I have been using HomeSeer for 22 years and well versed in what it can do and what it can’t. Yes, look at Jon’s tools for it can do what you’re looking for.

But they are using similar OS api’s such as “shutdown -r -t 1” or “shutdown -s -t 1” commands for Windows or “reboot” or “shutdown -h now” for Linux. You can call the HomeSeer Hs.restartsystem command to restart. But why, use the OS functions. Keep in mind that HomeSeer is a “ring3” application and the main portions of the OS run in “ring 0”. If you’re not familiar then read up on the Intel 386 architecture. It may be that the OS (or other critical processes or threads) are waiting for the OS to shutdown or restart. Not HomeSeer’s fault. If the system integrity is compromised then what do you expect? HomeSeer is not a qualified “server” application. If it truly was, then it would cost significantly more. Compare costs of Microsoft Exchange server, SQL server, etc. plus, it would truly run as a head-less background or “service” operations. It does not without a hack. There are reasons to why the developer does not support it in that fashion, and there are ways of making it work as long as one keeps in mind that underplaying Microsoft technologies are in play, and as such need to be properly managed. It can work, and does better subjectively in Linux.

There are things that HomeSeer doesn’t do well, and the developer does ignore them. Or, they may think that there are other pertinent features worth chasing. Keeping in mind that HomeSeer Technology is a business, and they want to make money. If you feel that certain functionality is important then throw money at them to custom code it.

Heck, throw money at me and I will custom code it for you!

Just keep going down the track that this is a business and you will more understand their decision making process. Money money money.... Of course, I do things for the fun or technological coolness, and that is why I am “poor”....
            HomeSeer 2, HomeSeer 3, Allonis myServer, Amazon Alexa Dots, ELK M1G, ISY 994i, HomeKit, BlueIris, and 6 "4k" Cameras using NVR, and integration between all of these systems. Home Automation since 1980.

Comment

Originally posted by Krumpy View Post
              There are things that HomeSeer doesn’t do well, and the developer does ignore them. Or, they may think that there are other pertinent features worth chasing. Keeping in mind that HomeSeer Technology is a business, and they want to make money. If you feel that certain functionality is important then throw money at them to custom code it.

Heck, throw money at me and I will custom code it for you!

Just keep going down the track that this is a business and you will more understand their decision making process. Money money money.... Of course, I do things for the fun or technological coolness, and that is why I am “poor”....
              [rant]

On 1 June 1869 Thomas Alva Edison patented a vote recorder for use by legislative bodies such as Congress. The chairman of the Congressional committee assessed the instrument and avered, "if there is any invention on earth that we don't want down here, that is it." Why? The slow pace of roll-call voting in Congress and other legislatures enabled members to filibuster legislation or convince others to change their votes. Edison's vote recorder was never adopted - by anybody. Edison's take-away was that he learned the crucial need to understand your customers, specifically the task they are trying to get done and why. After that experience, Edison reframed all of his future efforts with one simple phrase, “I never want to build something that nobody wants to buy.

In the long run, successful money making businesses develop products and services that people want, not products and services that business wants them to have.

Study question: How does a business know what its customers want?

[/rant]

My 2¢.
              HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.500
              Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro - Work Station

Enabled Plug-Ins:
              2.1.0.119: AmbientWeather | 3.0.21.0: BLLock | 2.0.24.0: BLUPS | 1.3.6.0: Device History | 3.0.0.56: EasyTrigger | 3.1.0.7: MeiHarmonyHub | 3.0.6681.34300: UltraCID3 | 3.0.6644.26753: UltraLog3 | 3.0.6554.33094: UltraMon3 | 3.0.0.91: weatherXML | 3.0.1.245: Z-Wave | 3.0.51: HS Touch Designer | 3.0.0.40 Z-Seer+

Comment

I wouldn’t disagree with those statements. But, remember that a company also needs to be profitable. I had a good chuckle with Mark from HomeSeer during the 2018 CES show as I quietly mentioned to him how many of the companies there were are around back in 1998 when Rich started HomeSeer Technologies..... AND, how many of the companies representing their products would be around the next 5 to 10.... I should have walked over to say the same to Rich but he was busy and I didn’t want to interrupt.

‘Guys, seriously, I get the frustrations that people have with HomeSeer. But due to not being able to restart or shutdown the OS.... Really? It is easy to do this! I really will back up HST that the functionality can be easily implemented with existing tools. If you want me to help you implement a solution then let’s do a 5 minute zoom call.

On the other hand, if we want to rant over that the user interface using HS Mobile and HS4, and that HSTouch is a subjective joke, then I am right there with you.

Comment

Thanks to all for the feedback, particularly krumpy for his detailed explanation and Jon who apparently has my solution.
                  HS4Pro on Windows 10
                  6 CT-100 tstats

Comment

Originally posted by Krumpy View Post
                    I wouldn’t disagree with those statements.
                    They were posted in support of your logical argument.

HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.500
                    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro - Work Station

Enabled Plug-Ins:
                    2.1.0.119: AmbientWeather | 3.0.21.0: BLLock | 2.0.24.0: BLUPS | 1.3.6.0: Device History | 3.0.0.56: EasyTrigger | 3.1.0.7: MeiHarmonyHub | 3.0.6681.34300: UltraCID3 | 3.0.6644.26753: UltraLog3 | 3.0.6554.33094: UltraMon3 | 3.0.0.91: weatherXML | 3.0.1.245: Z-Wave | 3.0.51: HS Touch Designer | 3.0.0.40 Z-Seer+

Comment

Working...
                    X