SFF Computer recommendation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SFF Computer recommendation

Okay, so here I am looking for anyone who is up on SFF low(ish) power computers for a recommendation. My 5-year old 2.4ghz i5 msi-9887 based MB has just stopped twice on me in about a week. Nothing in any of the logs. I've been lucky in not getting any DB issues on my HS3 based system running on Win2k16. I looked into the bios and see VCC5 at 4.961 volts but I have no idea if it has always been like that. Saying that even if it is the issue, I'm not going to mess with the internal based regulator. External power supply just supplies 12v. While it's been a great system, I cannot take chances anymore and so am looking for advice.
    I tried to search here but couldn't come up with anything even though I know it's been brought up before.

Anyone? Pete?

Thanks

Robert
    HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

One obvious answer is Intel NUC (google it).

There are some alternatives from China you can find on AliExpress, with equivalent models on Amazon.

Comment

check out the shuttle line of SFF computers. HS uses a fanless shuttle for their hometrollers. They have multiple options including processors, memory, bare, etc.

https://us.shuttle.com/
      HS4 Pro on Shuttle NC10U, Win10; Z-NET
      Number of Devices: 1005
      Number of Events: 293

Plug-Ins: BLLock, DirecTv, EasyTrigger, Honeywell WiFi Thermostat, Marquis monoprice Amp, MeiHarmonyHub, PHLocation2, Pushover 3P, UltraM1G3, rnbWeather, Worx Landroid, Z-Wave

External applications: Homebridge-homeseer, Geofency, EgiGeoZone.

Comment

I used a Shuttle before but I ended up with a larger system that runs HS, BlueIris and that I use as my personal computer via HDBase-T. But if you want something small and that is windows based then I think Shuttle is a good option. If you are willing to deal with Linux than the HS solutions seem to be a good option because you will get pretty good support from HS and on this forum.

Comment

Here I have been impressed with the older Lenova Thinkcentre Tiny series of computers. These are paperback sized. I have three of these today and have purchased 2 for other Homeseer users. Purchased all of these off lease. These use standard Lenova Thinkpad / laptop power supplies. None have failed yet. One of the three is running Windows 2016 server and the other two are running Ubuntu Server.

I still had two Shuttle nettop computers which worked for years and years. These are off today.

My two newest computers (home desktop and HS4) are DIY built using BCM motherboards and newest CPUs/Chipsets/32Gb of RAM et al. One has an external PS and the other has the PS on the motherboard. BCM motherboards are robust.
          - Pete

Auto mator
          Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
          Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
          HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
          HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

I highly recommend the 8th or 10th generation of the Intel NUC computers. You can pick them up pretty cheap at Microcenter. I have the i3, i5, i7 versions and they are fantastic. I have run everything from Windows 10, Linux, and VMware ESXi on them and they have been rock solid.
            Plug-ins: UltraMon, UltraM1G, UltraCID, Ultra1Wire, UltraLog, UltraWeatherBug, UltraPioneerAVR, UltraGCIR

Comment

I'm running my entire server environment, including HS3 and web servers, on NUC i7. Terrific performance, may be overkill.
              tenholde

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
                Here I have been impressed with the older Lenova Thinkcentre Tiny series of computers. These are paperback sized. I have three of these today and have purchased 2 for other Homeseer users. Purchased all of these off lease. These use standard Lenova Thinkpad / laptop power supplies. None have failed yet. One of the three is running Windows 2016 server and the other two are running Ubuntu Server.
                I have a couple of tinys, but not using as HS servers. I'm also playing with a Lenovo M90n. It's about the size of a USB Dock.

My home is smarter than your honor roll student.

Comment

Guys, thanks for all of your suggestions. I'm leaning towards NUC and now need to see where I can source one in Canada. I've seen a NUC 8Gen i5 on Amazon for a reasonable price - actually a bit on the high side, still if it is robost, I'm ok with that. Anything 9th or 10th Gen is looking in the $1000 + range which I hadn't intended on spending. I'm thinking they're designed as more on the business end rather than consumer end.
                  HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

Like Pete, I've been using several Lenova Thinkcentre Tiny 93P series which are rock solid and cheap on Ebay. Many of you use it as one runs my HS2 server for downloads!
                    Jon

Comment

Originally posted by langenet View Post
                      Guys, thanks for all of your suggestions. I'm leaning towards NUC and now need to see where I can source one in Canada. I've seen a NUC 8Gen i5 on Amazon for a reasonable price - actually a bit on the high side, still if it is robost, I'm ok with that. Anything 9th or 10th Gen is looking in the $1000 + range which I hadn't intended on spending.
                      I've been running HS on a NUC for several years. It's a 7th gen i3, and more than capable of delivering what H3 requires. I would definitely recommend getting an SSD. HS seems to be getting more disk intensive lately. I think an 8th gen i3 should be more than adequate unless you want to run other, more demanding software on the same box.

Click image for larger version

Name:	CPU.png
Views:	137
Size:	7.5 KB
ID:	1422235

Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
                      HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Thanks for more suggestions. Yeah, I've been running with an SSD for a number of years now. My current system hovers at about 6% and even with 4gb of ram happily runs HS and my email server.
                        Those Lenova Thinkcentre Tiny 93P series look interesting as well...

Comment

Working...
                        X