Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Controlling a Ceiling Fan with RF Remote?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #16
    Originally posted by jgreenberg01 View Post

    I wish I could do that. All my ceiling fans are controlled by z-wave wall switches. All except this one - that my wife loves - that is controlled by a proprietary RF wall switch. According to the manufacturer, Hunter, there's no way around this. I tried, by the way, but no joy.

    Thus the Bond bridge.
    Well that's a bummer! Sorry for my diatribe. I somehow missed the proprietary switch wall switch part. I hope the bridge works!!!!
    .

    Comment


      #17
      Originally posted by jgreenberg01 View Post

      I wish I could do that. All my ceiling fans are controlled by z-wave wall switches. All except this one - that my wife loves - that is controlled by a proprietary RF wall switch. According to the manufacturer, Hunter, there's no way around this. I tried, by the way, but no joy.

      Thus the Bond bridge.
      It might be helpful to know the model of the fan. Just because the manufacturer says there is no way to control it does not mean that there is no way to control it. Manufacturers tend to not want to get involved with providing this info for various reasons such as liability.

      Comment


        #18
        Originally posted by drhtmal View Post

        It might be helpful to know the model of the fan. Just because the manufacturer says there is no way to control it does not mean that there is no way to control it. Manufacturers tend to not want to get involved with providing this info for various reasons such as liability.
        It's a Hunter Warrant 70":

        https://www.hunterfan.com/products/c...UaApaSEALw_wcB

        The receiver is listed as a replacement part, but I don't recall seeing it. My guess is it is mounted somewhere inside the motor housing, but I'm not motivated enough to climb up and pull it down again because it's a 12' ceiling.

        Comment


          #19
          It is probably a Simple Connect which is just the setup where the receiver is in the canopy of the fan. I have one that I purchased as a retrofit for a fan. The kit I purchased also has a remote and a separate wall adapter devices that allows you to control the fan from your cell phone. The wall adapter is just a Bluetooth to RF bridge.

          https://www.amazon.com/Hunter-99107-.../dp/B00UQOP2JO



          Does it have a remote? If it does what frequency does it list on the back of the remote. Probably 434Mhz. You can most likely control it with the bond.

          Comment


            #20
            If it has a remote then the FCC ID must be printed on it (it might have come off after some time like on one of my remotes). Just put in that number on https://bondhome.io/supported-devices/ to check compatibility.

            Comment


              #21
              Many thanks for Sharing. RF Fan control is next on my list of devices to setup....

              Devoir

              Comment


                #22
                My biggest desire is to be able to change the fan direction. I have z-wave fan wall switches on all but one so no problem with on/off/speed. But one fan is about 14' off the floor so I have to get the heavy ladder out to change direction. Since it is also on the room with the fireplace, we definitely use both directions. I saw some fans recently which will do this via rf remote so I may be changing the fan out. Most of the other fans just mean standing on the bed so no issue there.
                Karl S
                HS4Pro on Windows 10
                242 Devices
                56 Z-Wave Nodes
                37 Events
                HSTouch Clients: 3 Android, 1 iOS
                Google Home: 3 Mini units 1 display

                Comment


                  #23
                  Originally posted by drhtmal View Post
                  It is probably a Simple Connect which is just the setup where the receiver is in the canopy of the fan. I have one that I purchased as a retrofit for a fan. The kit I purchased also has a remote and a separate wall adapter devices that allows you to control the fan from your cell phone. The wall adapter is just a Bluetooth to RF bridge.

                  https://www.amazon.com/Hunter-99107-.../dp/B00UQOP2JO



                  Does it have a remote? If it does what frequency does it list on the back of the remote. Probably 434Mhz. You can most likely control it with the bond.
                  Yes, it's a wall mounted, in-switch remote. According to Bond's website, they do support the FCCID, and it brings up a picture of the correct wall switch. The Bond Bridge is supposed to be delivered in 2 days, so I suspect that the fan issue will be resolved.

                  That's all I was trying to accomplish, but it would be a huge bonus if I can get it to recognize either/both of these. They have no FCCID that I can find.

                  Click image for larger version  Name:	Prop Key fobs.jpg Views:	0 Size:	47.4 KB ID:	1423975

                  I don't know what frequency they use, but there's nothing like being able to tell Alexa to "Energize", and have the toys turn on!

                  Comment


                    #24
                    The Bond Bridge arrived. It gave me a little trouble installing it on my LG cell phone - I proceeded to try other devices. Wouldn't load the app on my Samsung Note 12 because... it is too old. Same for my Kindle Fire 10 (although it's not that old). Kindle Fire 8 wouldn't let the app have permission for location so it wouldn't go beyond that step.

                    Went back to the cell and on the 4th or 5th try, it finally connected to the bridge. Strange.

                    Anyway, ceiling fan was recognized immediately. Really easy to program one of the two key fobs into the bridge. Luckily the fob that didn't work was for a prop that I built, and I'll just replace the fob/receiver with a cheap 433mhz one.

                    Something I didn't consider, but probably should have: HSTouch works well for controlling the RF devices through the AK Bond PI devices. If you use the original remote though, the Bond Bridge has no way of knowing the device was turned on/off. Now the HS device is out of synch with the remote.

                    I don't think there's a way around that, but if someone can think of one, I'd love to hear it. It's not really that big of a deal, although my OCD thinks it's and is screaming at me.

                    Comment


                      #25
                      Suggest posting on Alex’s Bond forum. Seems to me the Bond status should be maintained by the plugin no matter what the source of control happens to be.

                      Comment


                        #26
                        Originally posted by jgreenberg01 View Post
                        Something I didn't consider, but probably should have: HSTouch works well for controlling the RF devices through the AK Bond PI devices. If you use the original remote though, the Bond Bridge has no way of knowing the device was turned on/off. Now the HS device is out of synch with the remote.

                        I don't think there's a way around that, but if someone can think of one, I'd love to hear it. It's not really that big of a deal, although my OCD thinks it's and is screaming at me.
                        The plugin has "Trust State" option

                        Comment


                          #27
                          Originally posted by alexbk66 View Post

                          The plugin has "Trust State" option
                          What is trust state option? I have a few RF devices like ceiling fans and awnings and they don't provide feedback/status. If there is a way to get a status that would be great.

                          Comment


                            #28
                            Originally posted by mulu View Post

                            What is trust state option? I have a few RF devices like ceiling fans and awnings and they don't provide feedback/status. If there is a way to get a status that would be great.
                            Did you try searching?

                            https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/hs...79#post1448279

                            https://olibra.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/...me-application

                            Comment


                              #29
                              alexbk66 I will check that out. We have Hunter ceiling fans and Somfy awnings. Both are RF. I would love to have status information for them.

                              Comment


                                #30
                                Originally posted by mulu View Post
                                alexbk66 I will check that out. We have Hunter ceiling fans and Somfy awnings. Both are RF. I would love to have status information for them.
                                If you are using AKBond plugin - please post in https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/hs...nd-alexbk66-aa

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X