Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Controlling a Ceiling Fan with RF Remote?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mulu View Post
    alexbk66 I will check that out. We have Hunter ceiling fans and Somfy awnings. Both are RF. I would love to have status information for them.
    I still haven't figured out how to show accurate status info for my Hunter fan or other RF devices.

It's gotten out of sync with HS because I dodn't hide the original remote well enough from my wife. BOOM - out of sync. Drives me mad.

Comment

LOL!! That's a real problem. Maybe just put the remotes into the trash can next time... I have the same issue...

Comment

Why doesn't HS know what the remote is doing?

Comment

Originally posted by jgreenberg01 View Post
          I have a ceiling fan that my wife loves - so I can't replace it - and I'd like to control it with HSTouch. It just feels wrong to have a device that I can't control remotely.

In thinking about it, I also have some movie props/replicas that are controlled by RF key fobs that I would also like to integrate with HS and Alexa.

I looked quickly at Broadlink Pro, but has anybody here already done this with an RF learning device?
          I got more done with the Bond BD-1000 in a day trying to use RF than in a year with the Broadlink…

I guess you get what you pay for. But I'm also working on Broadlink plugin, as always trying to work with the manufacturer directly to use official API, instead of unreliable hacks. And with Chinese manufactures it's a pain.

BTW, with Bond it was completely different experience, when I looked at Bond website and contacted them (5th of January), they sent me a unit for testing next day and with their excellent developers support I had the AKBond plugin ready on 20th of January - in 15 days

Comment

Originally posted by Michael McSharry View Post
            Why doesn't HS know what the remote is doing?
            The Bond unit is a transmitter only when controlling devices, it doesn't - as far as I can tell - receive back any info from the device it is controlling.

The Bond receiver learns the remote's RF codes, but I don't have On or Off functions, just toggle. So HS will toggle the device when it is told to do so by the Bond PI regardless of what the devices state is.

If anyone has Hunter's Fan On/Off RF codes and a way to manually enter it into the Bond device... I would love to know it.

alexbk66's PI is really handy and works really well, the limitation is with the Bond unit.

Comment

If anyone has Hunter's Fan On/Off RF codes and a way to manually enter it into the Bond device... I would love to know it.

alexbk66's PI is really handy and works really well, the limitation is with the Bond unit.
              Regarding this kind of questions I really recommend https://forum.bondhome.io

Comment

I had too many fans with proprietary/cheap remotes that my solution was to use transistors or reed relays to trigger the button presses on the original remotes.
                Click image for larger version

Name:	fan ctrl.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	1467860
                In my case HomeSeer does a custom HTTP command to the Arduino on the network, which triggers the appropriate relay, which "presses" the button on the remote.

Comment

Originally posted by alexbk66 View Post

Regarding this kind of questions I really recommend https://forum.bondhome.io
                  Thank Alex. I will hit them up again.

Comment

Thank Alex. I will hit them up again.

Comment

I do agree that the hardware does need to support RF recognition such as Sonoff or SDR/MQTT and even in this case what the RF listener hears may not be the same thing that the Bond, or whatever the transmit unit is, is sending, but confidence level should be high vs. 0% when no attempt is made to close the loop.

Comment

Originally posted by jpm View Post
                        I had too many fans with proprietary/cheap remotes that my solution was to use transistors or reed relays to trigger the button presses on the original remotes.
                        In my case HomeSeer does a custom HTTP command to the Arduino on the network, which triggers the appropriate relay, which "presses" the button on the remote.
                        That exactly what I was doing with my windows shutters - I had to buy a separate remote for each window and solder relays to the remotes to open/close the shutters. But then on Bond forum I had a suggestion to try the Bond bridge - apparently many window shutters brands use internally Somfy protocol (rolling code), which only Bond does support - and yeah, I can now control my shutters with AKBond plugin

Comment

Originally posted by alexbk66 View Post

That exactly what I was doing with my windows shutters - I had to by a separate remote for each window and solder relays to the remotes to open/close the shutters. But then on Bond forum I had a suggestion to try the Bond bridge - apparently many window shutters brands use internally Somfy protocol (rolling code), which only Bond does support - and yeah, I can now control my shutters with AKBond plugin
                          My Somfy shutters are supported by RFXCom.

Comment

Working...
                          X