Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Controlling a Ceiling Fan with RF Remote?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mulu
    replied
    Originally posted by alexbk66 View Post

The plugin has "Trust State" option
    What is trust state option? I have a few RF devices like ceiling fans and awnings and they don't provide feedback/status. If there is a way to get a status that would be great.

Leave a comment:

• alexbk66
    replied
    Originally posted by jgreenberg01 View Post
    Something I didn't consider, but probably should have: HSTouch works well for controlling the RF devices through the AK Bond PI devices. If you use the original remote though, the Bond Bridge has no way of knowing the device was turned on/off. Now the HS device is out of synch with the remote.

I don't think there's a way around that, but if someone can think of one, I'd love to hear it. It's not really that big of a deal, although my OCD thinks it's and is screaming at me.
    The plugin has "Trust State" option

Leave a comment:

• Michael McSharry
    replied
    Suggest posting on Alex’s Bond forum. Seems to me the Bond status should be maintained by the plugin no matter what the source of control happens to be.

Leave a comment:

• jgreenberg01
    replied
    The Bond Bridge arrived. It gave me a little trouble installing it on my LG cell phone - I proceeded to try other devices. Wouldn't load the app on my Samsung Note 12 because... it is too old. Same for my Kindle Fire 10 (although it's not that old). Kindle Fire 8 wouldn't let the app have permission for location so it wouldn't go beyond that step.

Went back to the cell and on the 4th or 5th try, it finally connected to the bridge. Strange.

Anyway, ceiling fan was recognized immediately. Really easy to program one of the two key fobs into the bridge. Luckily the fob that didn't work was for a prop that I built, and I'll just replace the fob/receiver with a cheap 433mhz one.

Something I didn't consider, but probably should have: HSTouch works well for controlling the RF devices through the AK Bond PI devices. If you use the original remote though, the Bond Bridge has no way of knowing the device was turned on/off. Now the HS device is out of synch with the remote.

I don't think there's a way around that, but if someone can think of one, I'd love to hear it. It's not really that big of a deal, although my OCD thinks it's and is screaming at me.

Leave a comment:

• jgreenberg01
    replied
    Originally posted by drhtmal View Post
    It is probably a Simple Connect which is just the setup where the receiver is in the canopy of the fan. I have one that I purchased as a retrofit for a fan. The kit I purchased also has a remote and a separate wall adapter devices that allows you to control the fan from your cell phone. The wall adapter is just a Bluetooth to RF bridge.

https://www.amazon.com/Hunter-99107-.../dp/B00UQOP2JO

Does it have a remote? If it does what frequency does it list on the back of the remote. Probably 434Mhz. You can most likely control it with the bond.
    Yes, it's a wall mounted, in-switch remote. According to Bond's website, they do support the FCCID, and it brings up a picture of the correct wall switch. The Bond Bridge is supposed to be delivered in 2 days, so I suspect that the fan issue will be resolved.

That's all I was trying to accomplish, but it would be a huge bonus if I can get it to recognize either/both of these. They have no FCCID that I can find.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Prop Key fobs.jpg Views:	0 Size:	47.4 KB ID:	1423975

I don't know what frequency they use, but there's nothing like being able to tell Alexa to "Energize", and have the toys turn on!

Leave a comment:

• ksum
    replied
    My biggest desire is to be able to change the fan direction. I have z-wave fan wall switches on all but one so no problem with on/off/speed. But one fan is about 14' off the floor so I have to get the heavy ladder out to change direction. Since it is also on the room with the fireplace, we definitely use both directions. I saw some fans recently which will do this via rf remote so I may be changing the fan out. Most of the other fans just mean standing on the bed so no issue there.

Leave a comment:

• devoir
    replied
    Many thanks for Sharing. RF Fan control is next on my list of devices to setup....

Devoir

Leave a comment:

• mulu
    replied
    If it has a remote then the FCC ID must be printed on it (it might have come off after some time like on one of my remotes). Just put in that number on https://bondhome.io/supported-devices/ to check compatibility.

Leave a comment:

• drhtmal
    replied
    It is probably a Simple Connect which is just the setup where the receiver is in the canopy of the fan. I have one that I purchased as a retrofit for a fan. The kit I purchased also has a remote and a separate wall adapter devices that allows you to control the fan from your cell phone. The wall adapter is just a Bluetooth to RF bridge.

https://www.amazon.com/Hunter-99107-.../dp/B00UQOP2JO

Does it have a remote? If it does what frequency does it list on the back of the remote. Probably 434Mhz. You can most likely control it with the bond.

Leave a comment:

• jgreenberg01
    replied
    Originally posted by drhtmal View Post

It might be helpful to know the model of the fan. Just because the manufacturer says there is no way to control it does not mean that there is no way to control it. Manufacturers tend to not want to get involved with providing this info for various reasons such as liability.
    It's a Hunter Warrant 70":

https://www.hunterfan.com/products/c...UaApaSEALw_wcB

The receiver is listed as a replacement part, but I don't recall seeing it. My guess is it is mounted somewhere inside the motor housing, but I'm not motivated enough to climb up and pull it down again because it's a 12' ceiling.

Leave a comment:

• drhtmal
    replied

I wish I could do that. All my ceiling fans are controlled by z-wave wall switches. All except this one - that my wife loves - that is controlled by a proprietary RF wall switch. According to the manufacturer, Hunter, there's no way around this. I tried, by the way, but no joy.

Thus the Bond bridge.
    It might be helpful to know the model of the fan. Just because the manufacturer says there is no way to control it does not mean that there is no way to control it. Manufacturers tend to not want to get involved with providing this info for various reasons such as liability.

Leave a comment:

• outbackrob
    replied

I wish I could do that. All my ceiling fans are controlled by z-wave wall switches. All except this one - that my wife loves - that is controlled by a proprietary RF wall switch. According to the manufacturer, Hunter, there's no way around this. I tried, by the way, but no joy.

Thus the Bond bridge.
    Well that's a bummer! Sorry for my diatribe. I somehow missed the proprietary switch wall switch part. I hope the bridge works!!!!

Leave a comment:

• jgreenberg01
    replied
    Originally posted by Sireone View Post
    Another option, which is probably better, is the Inovelli Fan Switch. It actually comes with the RF receiver.

https://inovelli.com/red-series-fan-...switch-z-wave/

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    Looked at that too. It's for AC motors only, and this fan is DC.

Leave a comment:

• Sireone
    replied
    Another option, which is probably better, is the Inovelli Fan Switch. It actually comes with the RF receiver.

https://inovelli.com/red-series-fan-...switch-z-wave/

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• jgreenberg01
    replied
    Originally posted by outbackrob View Post
    FWIW, when we remodeled this house, we got all new ceiling fans (that matched) and all had RF remotes. I was going to use RFXCOM as they were supported. As it turns out, we NEVER changed the ceiling fan speed. It was either off or on low. By the time I got around to setting up RFXCOM, two of the remotes were lost somewhere and the fans were controlled by the wall switch. I replaced all the wall switches with WS-100's (then WS-200's) and now we just ask Alexa to turn on the Master Bedroom Fan or any of the other 4 in the house. In the rare occasion that we want to change the speed, the remote is right there. ....but that has only happened once in 3 years and it was in the game room. The really nice thing (which will happen with any setup that can use Alexa) is that if you wake up cold in the middle of the night, you can, without moving, ask Alexa to turn the fan off... When the HS fan switch came out, I thought about switching them out, but there really was no need for us. Just a thought.....

Thus the Bond bridge.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X