Lights to stay on in different rooms when reading

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pcgirl65 View Post
    So just an update on this issue.....I started thinking about how Alexa has Rooms and you can select devices for each room. This enables me to walk into a room and say "Lights On" and the lights will come on. It doesn't matter what the lights device names are. So I decided to setup virtual devices in homeseer called Reading Mode. Then I set them up in different rooms. IE: virtual device "Reading Mode" in Master Bedroom; another virtual device named "Reading Mode" in Ryan's room. I set these up as Voice Enabled and then had Alexa find them. I renamed them in Alexa to just "Reading Mode" and then added the appropriate one to each Group. Now if I am in the Master Bedroom and say "Reading Mode On", only that virtual device turns on. If I am in Ryan's room and say the same thing, only that virtual device turns on. So far this seems to be working. I will keep you posted.
    Update.....this isn't working the way I want it to. I can be in the living room and say "Alexa, reading mode on" and she will trigger the reading mode virtual switch in my bedroom. Ugh! Alexa isn't very smart yet. Anyways, I started looking at using Node-red to set this up as I saw this over at hubitat forums.
    https://community.hubitat.com/t/node...ring/45207/146

Has anyone done this with hs?

Comment

You're not appreciating the primary focus of Alexa: to listen in on you so you can be advertised to and to sell you stuff. Lighting control? That's not a clear sale function. Alexa is planning ahead to selling you the Amazon-approved / developed / recommended room lighting control system... which you will love and will pay dearly for... at least a few times.

FWIW, if voice is the way you go, there's always the old-school microphone-per-room approach that some of us were using in 1998 or whatever. Not saying it worked great, but it was pretty good at knowing which room the mic was in.

(Edit: for some reason it was underlined...)

Comment

Originally posted by pcgirl65 View Post

Update.....this isn't working the way I want it to. I can be in the living room and say "Alexa, reading mode on" and she will trigger the reading mode virtual switch in my bedroom. Ugh! Alexa isn't very smart yet. Anyways, I started looking at using Node-red to set this up as I saw this over at hubitat forums.
        https://community.hubitat.com/t/node...ring/45207/146

Has anyone done this with hs?
        I think if you already use Node-RED just go for it. He has even provided you with the json (flow) code, just copy and import and edit to your liking!

Eman.
        TinkerLand : Life's Choices,"No One Size Fits All"

Comment

Originally posted by gregoryx View Post
          You're not appreciating the primary focus of Alexa: to listen in on you so you can be advertised to and to sell you stuff. Lighting control? That's not a clear sale function. Alexa is planning ahead to selling you the Amazon-approved / developed / recommended room lighting control system... which you will love and will pay dearly for... at least a few times.

FWIW, if voice is the way you go, there's always the old-school microphone-per-room approach that some of us were using in 1998 or whatever. Not saying it worked great, but it was pretty good at knowing which room the mic was in.

(Edit: for some reason it was underlined...)
          There is not much you can say to win people of Alex. Maybe they can have events to set them to listening mode over the network?
          • Most Gurus here use Alexa
          • The best one to ask how to secure them is Pete . He once posted a video of his parrot speaking to Alexa.
          No, I don't have Alexa but Google comes with the Nvidia SHIELD remote (I turn it off in the settings)

Eman.
          TinkerLand : Life's Choices,"No One Size Fits All"

Comment

Working...
          X