Need help/advice with current HS hardware situation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help/advice with current HS hardware situation

I am really losing my mind over my HS system right now. I had HS4 running great, the only problem is Windows would force updates and result in the system to stop. This is not something I want so I decided to go with Linux, which I managed to barely get working, I just have never used Linux before and have no clue how to use the terminal which makes things extremely difficult. I am just looking for something where I can turn it on and never touch it. I don't want to have to login remotely to do Windows updates. Is there any way I can have HS run completely uninterrupted and truly set and forget? I love HS and its robust functionality, but these OS issues are wanting me to look elsewhere.

Edit: Would HS PI be a better more robust option?

If you want something that will run reliably for extended periods of time then you are on the right track with Linux. I have HS3 running on Ubuntu 18.04LTS installed on a laptop. It never goes down because the laptop battery keeps it running during power outages.

The instructions for HS4 are here:

https://docs.homeseer.com/display/HS...g+HS4+on+Linux

Don't let the terminal intimidate you. You can copy and paste from the instructions.

If you are going to use the computer for HS4 only you can install HS4 in your Home directory and it will work just fine. This makes it easy to access the folder. The home directory is the one that opens by default. It will contain folders named Documents, Downloads, Pictures, etc.

Open the Home directory.

Right click anywhere in the directory and select Actions>Open Terminal Here.

A terminal will open with a prompt that looks something like this: yourname@yourname-desktop: $

Linux requires administrator privileges in order to install packages so you will need to type sudo then copy and paste the first command. It will look something like this:

yourname@yourname-desktop: $ sudo apt-get install mono-devel

Press enter and you will be prompted to enter your password. Enter your password and press enter (you will not see any indication that the password is being entered, this is normal.)

You may be asked to confirm that you want to continue. Enter Y for yes and press enter.

You will not need to enter sudo again as you are now operating as an administrator. Just copy and paste each line that begins with apt-get and press enter after each one.

Now Mono is installed and you are ready to download HS4 if you haven't already done so. The link is here:

https://homeseer.com/updates4/linux_4_1_7_0.tar.gz

Place the file in your home directory. Since the Terminal is already open in the home directory you wont need to enter the CD (change directory) command.

Switch back to the terminal and enter tar xvf linux_4_1_7_0.tar.gz then press enter.

Close the terminal.

You should now have the HomeSeer folder in your Home directory.

To start HomeSeer:

Open the HomeSeer folder.

Right click anywhere in the folder and choose Actions> Open Terminal Here

At the prompt type ./go and press enter

You will be prompted for your password. Enter your password and press enter.

HomeSeer should now be up and running.

If you need to shut down HomeSeer open a Terminal in the HomeSeer directory as you did above and type shutdown then press enter (or simply type shutdown in the current HomeSeer terminal).

The only commands you will need to enter to start and stop HomeSeer are ./go (and your password) and shutdown.

Updates in Linux are manual and voluntary. They seldom require a restart and the restart is never automatic. You will see an indicator in the taskbar when updates are available. I suggest running updates occasionally to keep your system current, but you can do it on your own schedule.

Comment

I second HS3PRO (or HS4PRO) on Ubuntu 18.06LTS. Mine works flawlessly, even after Ubuntu updates and reboots. There should be hints on here on how to auto start HS3PRO (or HS4PRO) after reboots or Power Ons.

Comment

Here also utilize Linux Ubuntu 18.04 (X2) on Intel CPU computers.

Wanting to continue to utilize Microsoft SAPI speech here have an Oracle Virtual Windows Box running multiple speech fonts / speaker instances on same said box.
        - Pete

Auto mator
        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb- Mono 6.12.X - HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets
        Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro - Mono 6.12.X
        HS4 Pro - V4.1.11.0 - Ubuntu 20.01/VB W7e 64 bit Intel Kaby Lake CPU - 32Gb - Mono
        HS4 Lite -

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Smartthings hub, Hubitat Hub, and Home Assistant

Comment

Linux seems to be a very stable environment ..... want to attempt this next after I have HS4 on it's feet.. Can I move the files for windows 10 HS4 and Migrate them to a ubuntu platform ???

Devoir

Comment

Originally posted by devoir View Post
            Linux seems to be a very stable environment ..... want to attempt this next after I have HS4 on it's feet.. Can I move the files for windows 10 HS4 and Migrate them to a ubuntu platform ???
            Devoir
            If you (and people who might have to take over your HS job) feel very comfortable with Linux then this is an ok approach. But if not then I really would reconsider moving to another OS and having to support that platform. There are a lot more HS people on Windows so support from the forum will be better if you are on Windows. Just my 2 cents.

Comment

Originally posted by mulu View Post

If you (and people who might have to take over your HS job) feel very comfortable with Linux then this is an ok approach. But if not then I really would reconsider moving to another OS and having to support that platform. There are a lot more HS people on Windows so support from the forum will be better if you are on Windows. Just my 2 cents.
              I don't know about better. More abundant, maybe. I've found the Linux users on the forum to be quite capable and very quick to assist.

Comment

Originally posted by devoir View Post

Devoir
                I don't see any reason why you couldn't. I suggest installing Linux on an older device and playing around a bit. I think you'll be impressed.

Linux is very flexible. I have an old 32 bit netbook running Bohdi that I use as a music client to access JazzGroove and Sirius/XM. I use a nice DAC and the results are excellent.

I've also converted several friends and family members to Linux. If all one needs to do is surf the web and communicate via email Linux is the ideal solution. I can make a Linux installation look so much like windows that it is completely intuitive, but much more secure and much more stable.

My sister is 78 years old and has fallen victim to the "Microsoft Support" scam. She was victimized again by "The Geek Squad" who sold her a maintenance contract. I installed Linux and updated her hosts file and told her to respond to "tech support" calls by saying "I use Linux" and hanging up. Problem solved.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex_W View Post

I don't know about better. More abundant, maybe. I've found the Linux users on the forum to be quite capable and very quick to assist.
                  I am not knocking the Linux users. It's just that I see a lot more people being on Windows and they appear just as knowledgeable as the Linux users. Tough, frankly, I mostly just pass on anything Linux because I can't really contribute anything. I have used Linux in Docker lately but my main experience goes back to Sun workstations, i.e. that's some time ago. In any case, as I said, if somebody is familiar with Linux then that might be an ok option.

As for your sister, she could run Windows and just tell the scammers that she runs Linux (or just hang up). I guess the point is that if you are looking for computer support within your family (general statement, not specific to your family) you have a much higher chance of having somebody knowledgeable with Windows compared to Linux.

Edit: Btw, I have to applaud your sister for staying up with technology. At this age it's not easy but definitely rewarding if you can keep up with all this new stuff...

Comment

Many thanks for the input on Linux & Microsoft....

Devoir

Comment

Working...
                    X