Latest Z-wave T-stat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Latest Z-wave T-stat?

Had 2 Remotec t-stats. One, works great, no problems. The other started blowing fuses in my Air Handler after a few months. Looking for a good Z-wave t-stat that does NOT need a cloud server, has 0.5deg resolution, and parameter list.

Below are some of my notes when I looked at z-wave thermostats in the past. None of them might fit your need, though, especially the 0.5deg resolution. I personally chose the Trane XL624 because it's z-wave and allows me to turn off the internal temperature sensor and instead only use an external sensor. This allowed me to move one thermostat into the garage and another one in a closet and instead have tablets that can do a lot more.

2GIG / CT100: No onboard scheduling. Depends completely on HS
    GoControl / GC-TBZ48: No onboard scheduling. Depends completely on HS
    Honeywell / ZWSTAT: Looks ugly with the green display
    Trane / LS824: Only works with Trane 3-wire communication system
    RTS TZ45: Expensive but does support wireless temperature sensors. Not sure if it works with HS natively.

Remotec ZTS-500: seems to work with HS but it cannot be programmed. Only control through HS.
    Trane / XR524: Seems fine. Doesn’t seem to support remote sensors. There is no RS (Remote Sensor) terminal.
    Trane / XL624: Also seems fine. Some people reported issues with reporting status to HomeSeer. It seems it’s just wrongly labeled so if you adjust to the wrong label it seems to work fine. It supports remote sensors. Check the terminals in the manual. It has an RS (Remote Sensor) port. Page 14 https://www.bayareaservice.com/wp-co...ion-Manual.pdf

Comment

This is good info. Don’t the Trane models require a cloud server?

Comment

Only Nexia based ones. the XR524 and XL624 can be used Z-Wave only. I have an XL624 and it has been working without issue for a few years now...
        HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

The XR524 and XL624 do not require cloud service. I am not sure about the 'higher-end' models but they don't work with HS anyways. They act as a z-wave 'host' so that other devices could connect to them but they can't connect to HS. See the forum thread below. I asked a similar question and a Trane dealer responded. I also included a link of what HS is selling.

https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/ho...-compatibility
          https://shop.homeseer.com/collection...ve-thermostats

Comment

I have two Radio Thermostat Z-wave CT-101 in mint condition that I will be selling. The big difference between these and the CT-100 is that the CT-101 can be 7-day programmable right from the touch screen and can operate independently of the Z-wave hub. Another plus is they run on batteries just fine, no need for a C-wire if you don't have one (I didn't for a while).

I loved these units, very reliable and full featured, the only reason I removed them is because I upgraded to EcoBee 3s, I wanted the built-in learning function of the house's thermal coefficient (I was going to attempt to write a script that would calculate it over time, but gave up).

Comment

Bought the XL624. Nice looking unit but, the temp reading shows as 0 on the HS Web Console. It also doesn’t show Relative Humidity. The up/down heat and cool setpoints seem to work adequately.
              Any ideas why temp shows 0 on the HS Web Console and 74 on the unit itself?

Comment

Mine shows relative humidity but I have not idea how accurate it is. It also shows the temperature. You might want to confirm if it is set to the internal temperature sensor and not the external sensor only. Menu->Service->Select (10s)->Installer settings->Sensor settings->remote sensor. Considering the fact that both the humidity sensor and the temperature sensor don't show anything might be an indication that something else is wrong, though. Maybe exclude it and then include it again.

Click image for larger version

Name:	thermostatDevices.png
Views:	143
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	1424965

Comment

I have a 624 and temperature and humidity show correctly in HS3. I can verify that humidity is reasonably accurate.

Comment

Everything seems to work now. Suppose I needed to be more patient after install. Would be nice if RH was displayed on the HS4 Web Console tile.

Comment

Working...
                    X