Nortek HUSBZB-1 install problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nortek HUSBZB-1 install problems

Hi all. I am in a prolonged, 6 week homeseer disaster where my hometroller sel died, and it took this long for tech support to agree that that was the problem I was having. So I am trying to install on a windows 10 machine, and I can't get my Nortek Zwave interface to install. I am following the updated driver install instructions here:

https://docs.homeseer.com/display/HS...e+Driver+Setup

When I plug the dongle in, it shows up as a COM port in Device manager, and not Other Devices. Windows automatically installs a driver as soon as its plugged in.

I update the driver per the instructions, and it seems to go fine, and it instructs a restart. After the restart, in device manager, the dongle shows up as Silicon Labs CP210x USB to UART Bridge, still in the COM ports, but now it has a yellow exclamation point, and when you click on properties, it says the device won't start.

Homeseer is unable to initialize the zwave interface in this condition. I've tried uninstalling the hardware and starting from scratch several times, and no changes. Did anyone else run into this? Any suggestions?

If you see the device won't start then it's likely the device isn't working and is most likely dead. Do you have another W10 device to test the device on?
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Yes, I will try that, but this device was working fine yesterday when I could get the htsel to boot at all.

Comment

Same behavior on the second PC. How is it possible that both the motherboard and the zwave interface failed at the same time when both are only 3 years old? How could it work on the SEL yesterday and not at all now? I am so unbelievably frustrated with everything Homeseer at this point. I feel swindled, where I have invested a great deal of time and money in this and it doesn't work at all, and now I face the choice of investing more money and time to start over with more homeseer hardware that I assume will go bad in another three years, or moving to a different platform altogether, and learning something else and investing in something else. No good choice, and my house is unautomated for 6 weeks and counting.

Comment

When I let windows automatically install the driver for this device, it calls it a USB serial device and says its working properly, but it won't initialize in homeseer.

Comment

Did you have a storm, power surge, etc by any chance? Maybe posting a screen shot of your setup in the Z-Wave plugin may help us spot an issue.
            💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

HUSBZB-1 Z-Wave and Zigbee radios are on separate COM ports. I see that the instructions you linked only instruct to install the Zigbee one. Starting on step 4, repeat all the steps except in step 4 look for 'HubZ Z-Wave Com Port' instead.

With success, the two devices display as shown. To determine which is which, right click on a device and select Properties. Go to the Details tab and display 'Bus-reported device description'. That will say either 'HubZ Z-Wave Com Port' or 'HubZ Zigbee Com Port'.
              Attached Files

Comment

No none of the above. As you can see I am a little frustrated with this at this point. I have an ongoing support ticket going on, but they take a long time, up to 2 or 3 days, to respond to my posts. The short version is that my HTSEL was functioning fine with HS3, and then when I attempted to upgrade to HS4, it bricked and had to be reset to defaults, and somehow all of my backups disappeared in the process. I finally got HS4 running, and was beginning to rebuild my devices and events from scratch, when it started freezing up all the time. So you guys sent me a new hard drive for the HTSEL with HS3 installed, and I upgraded that to HS4, and it was working, but only when attached to a particular VGA monitor. If I attach it to any HDMI monitor, any other VGA monitor, or no monitor at all, it will not boot. So it is only semi-functional, and your support people think "the hardware may simply be dying." It is only 3 years old, as I said, and it was totally fine before I tried to upgrade it. What a huge mistake. He offered me an unspecified discount on a new controller, or suggested setting up on windows. I installed HS4 on a windows computer, and restored a backup to that machine. It did throw the following error:

An error occured while preping for the restore: Error unzipping backup file: The file 'C:\Program Files (x86)\HomeSeer HS4\RestoreConfig\html\Z-Wave\basic_function_1.htm' already exists.

But on restart, the restore seemed to work. My devices and events were there.

That's when I tried to get the Nortek driver installed. I did, of course, shut down homeseer first, but I could not get the driver working.

So I just went back to the HTSEL and plugged the Nortek back into it, and booted it up with the special VGA monitor, and zwave is working fine. None of this makes any sense. Nothing is working as it is supposed to.

I can give you whatever screenshots you need from either the HTSEL or the windows install, but you have responded more in the last 3 hours than support has this week.

Comment

zwolfpack:

Thank you. I was wondering about that side of things. However, my hardware is not quite behaving as expected. When I plug the Nortek in, It comes up in the Ports Section of Device Manager is USB Serial Device(COM3). My device manager does not have a "Other Devices" section. I don't see either 'HubZ Z-Wave Com Port' or 'HubZ Zigbee Com Port' anywhere. I have expanded every section of my device manager and don't see either of those. Just "USB Serial Device(COM3)". I have tried this all on two different Windows 10 machines with the same behavior.

Comment

If you remove the Nortek, the COM3 device disappears?

Comment

Yes it does. Comes back as soon as I plug it in.

Comment

I wonder if you have the HUSBZ-1 (Z-Wave only) rather than the HUSBZB-1 (Z-Wave + Zigbee)? The two would likely have different USB interface chips, thus different driver requirements.

If that's the case, you should be good to go. On the Z-Wave Controllers page, set Interface Model to 'HomeSeer SmartStick +' and then set serial port to COM3.

Comment

That was it exactly. Unbelieveable. I spent the entire day chasing this around and around and that's all it was. I don't think this is the first time you have come to my rescue, and I appreciate it. Thank you so very much!

Comment

Working...
                          X