Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can u wire a Regular Light Switch with Line and Load???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can u wire a Regular Light Switch with Line and Load???

When the Light Switch is turned on the Light comes on but when the lightswitch is turned off the plugin receptacle goes off with it. So i need to find out if that LightSwitch is only wired wrong or if a new light switch could handle both Line and Load or if there is another solution.

The Light Switch been asked about is 2 wire ...and powers a Light Switch ...and when turned on also powers a plugin receptacle.

Originally posted by lite View Post
    When the Light Switch is turned on the Light comes on but when the lightswitch is turned off the plugin receptacle goes off with it. So i need to find out if that LightSwitch is only wired wrong or if a new light switch could handle both Line and Load or if there is another solution.

The Light Switch been asked about is 2 wire ...and powers a Light Switch ...and when turned on also powers a plugin receptacle.
    That is a common wiring method in many homes. Often to connect a lamp to an outlet which can be controlled via a light switch. Typically I see these in rooms where there is no ceiling light.

To resolve would require an electrician (or DIY if inclined) to run a constant power line to the impacted outlet.

Comment

If there is only one load line in the switch box then the light and receptacle are wired together as some point in the circuit. Most likely from the switch to one of them and then to the other. But they can also be tied together in a junction box (depending on how the electrician decided the easiest run) possibly in the basement?

Easiest way to check, is to pull the cover off the receptacle and see if there are two black wires tied to the hot side. If so then the other one is going to the light. And if you can get to the light, same thing, see if there are two wires. If both have one then the hots are wired together somewhere else. If one has two, then you'll need to run another line to it the other one to get it to stay on. Hopefully the one that has two is your light that you want controlled by the switch.

Comment

Do both receptacles turn off when you flip the switch?

I have many outlets wired this way in my home. Typically one of the receptacles stays hot and one is switched.

Comment

Here all of the bedrooms, living room, dining room duplex outlets are 1/2 wired to a switch and 1/2 wired to 120VAC power.

Not liking this on all of the outlets have rewired many of them so that only one outlet is switched near a lamp.

I did run in to an issue with the cleaning folks plugging in a vacumn to the automated UPB switched outlet a few years back. I did then label a few outlets for use at that time.

That and went to using UPB autonomous switches and links for every 3 way switch here. (had four of them on the second floor hallway).

- Pete

Auto mator
          Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
          Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
          HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
          HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

If you look at a new outlet plug, you will see a metal tab that jumpers between both outlets. On the plugs that have one switched and one constantly on, you will see that the jumper has been broken off. So you could just replace the outlet plug with a new one to get constant power to both outlets (though you would want to tape off the hot wire that comes from the switch and leave it unconnected to the outlet.)

Comment

Working...
            X