Best Practice for Interfacing ELKM1 and Homeseer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best Practice for Interfacing ELKM1 and Homeseer

For those that use an ELKM1 and HomeSeer do you have any suggestions or best practices as to when to use the Rules in Elk versus Events in HomeSeer for hardware hardwired to the ELKM1 that is not security related, more for automation?

I also have an Elk M1 and had it controlling many X10 plugs and switches at one time. I have since swapped everything over to Zwave and couldn’t be happier. I only use the M1 for security now and nothing else. With HS, there is no login and no database.

Comment

Since Zwave devices can't exist on more than one zwave network at a time. It's not advised to split them between an Elk panel and Homeseer. Homeseer provides much more flexibility than Elk does so most people default to HS. As for other cases/technologies, if they aren't supported by HS, then leave them on the Elk. I use the Elk to announce when doors are open. Or when the back door opens and the gate has been left open. I also push text to it to announce if the garage door is open after dark. I push text to announce motion on my front porch; this originates with HS since I can disable it when napping, quiet hours etc -- My dogs love that one. I do have a rule I like where when all zones are ready to arm it announces the house is secure.
      HS4 Pro on Shuttle NC10U, Win10; Z-NET
      Number of Devices: 1005
      Number of Events: 293

Plug-Ins: BLLock, DirecTv, EasyTrigger, Honeywell WiFi Thermostat, Marquis monoprice Amp, MeiHarmonyHub, PHLocation2, Pushover 3P, UltraM1G3, rnbWeather, Worx Landroid, Z-Wave

External applications: Homebridge-homeseer, Geofency, EgiGeoZone.

Comment

For us, when the windows in a room are opened for more than 5 minutes, I have homeseer turn off the HVAC for that area (no sense in running the A/C if the window is open!). I set a timer when the window closes, and after 10 mins switches the HVAC back on.

Also, my Elk has a bunch of motion detectors that I use for switching on lighting at low output when walking around in the house in the dark. Nice for those of us whose eyes are not what they used to be. Lights need to be able to come on very dim else it's counterproductive.

I also have a set of water leak sensors tied into the Elk (alula (formerly resolution) trident sensors) that watch for leaks under sinks, water heaters, etc..., and so Homeseer can notify and shut off the water valve to the house in case a leak is detected. These sensors are cheap and very reliable. I would rather not trust zwave for things like that.

thx
        mike

Comment

I have kind of a hierarchy in how I have things set up. The Elk handles the sensors. I tried Z-wave and Insteon sensor but found the lack or reliability (except for the Insteon water sensor), battery changes, need to access the device to write changes to it etc. too much of a hassle. The Elk also handles security related functions which include besides the standard stuff, some Elk rules that are designed to scare people out of the driveway at night without requiring the system to be armed. My ISY (also integrated with the Elk) handles the interface with lighting and other devices. Programs on the ISY are for automation functions that don't need much human interaction. Homeseer (integrated with the Elk and ISY) handles the human-automation system interaction and more complicated programming tasks.

Comment

Working...
          X