Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody else having shutdown problems with last HS4 version upgrade?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anybody else having shutdown problems with last HS4 version upgrade?

HS4 is failing to shutdown without forcing a reboot on my windows 10 laptop. Anybody else seeing this? I find some old issues back in Feb 2020...but missed it if someone has posted this recently. It's happened 4 or 5 consecutive times now. I have not added any device or plugins since the upgrade to the latest version.

Originally posted by ts1234 View Post
    HS4 is failing to shutdown without forcing a reboot on my windows 10 laptop.
    Does that mean that you can't kill the HS4 process with Task Manager, or does it not restart properly if you do that? Are you using an HDD or an SSD as your primary drive? (I was seeing HS3 appear to hang writing to disk during a shutdown before switching to an SSD.)
    Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
    HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Go to Task Manager (Ctrl-Shift-ESC) and look for HS4. Expand it so you can see all the modules/plugins that still run under HS4. If you see multiple plugins, kill one after the other and see if the shutdown then can proceed.

Comment

Thanks!

Task Manager will kill the process. The laptop has an SSD. If it's just been restarted it will shut down today. I will kill the plugins 1 at a time next time it happens. Any idea why when I first expanded it in Task Manager they were 10 or so windows console session under it, but when I look at it now there are zero listed in above all the plugins? Is this just how plugins "connect" at startup?

Comment

I don't know what the multiple instances of Windows console are about, but I just checked and I show about 20 of them. FWIW, it does not appear that they interfere with shutting HS down on my (HS3) system.
          Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
          HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

This had not happened again since my original post. I could not remotely shut down a plugin that seemed hosed (Marantz). I logged in via my remote access program to the PC and tried to shut it from HS4 "X" for the program. It give the q prompt to verify I want to shut down, but then fails to do so. When I go to task manager, it lists nothing running but HS4 (see below). It will not shut from there either.

Any more ideas?...guessing I need to open a support ticket.

Comment

I've had that twice now over the past few weeks. Killing it from the task manager "fixed" it. After hat, I could simply restart HS4, no need for a complete restart of Windows.
                stefxx

Comment

Thanks stefxx! This is the screenshot that I referenced but forgot to post. I assume it means it successfully shut down all the plugins but still couldn't shut itself. You "never know until you know," but if the only thing left running is the root program it kind of points to that. Click image for larger version

Name:	Hosed.JPG
Views:	220
Size:	4.8 KB
ID:	1428615

Comment

I did not really look at the details of task manager. I did look at the log, and here it is from the first shutdown command until I killed HS4 and restart:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2020-10-25 222921.png
Views:	237
Size:	354.0 KB
ID:	1428626

As you can see I tried to shutdown HS4 a few times (by simply clicking the red X to close the UI).
                    stefxx

Comment

Maybe it is fixed in 4.1.9.0:
                      HS-1012 Some plugins are not shutting down when application is shut down
                      stefxx

Comment

Working...
                      X