Water Temperature : Monitor / Sensor ? Zwave - Zigbee - Wifi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Water Temperature : Monitor / Sensor ? Zwave - Zigbee - Wifi

I'd like to monitor the temperature of my spa water; sending it to Homeseer. I have seen this Sonoff TH16 anyone used this or something similar?

thx for the help

I'm using the AmbientWeather WS-8482-3107 Floating sensor for my pool. I'm a little leery of putting a mains connected probe in the water, especially one that hasn't gotten a mile of a UL rating. Not knocking the sonoff, I've got a bunch of them.

Battery powered Z-wave water temperature sensors are like hen's teeth. Fibaro made a battery door window sensor that took the same DS-18B20 sensor as your picture, but they are hard to come by as they were replaced by newer versions without the remote sensor capability..

Comment

Originally posted by mterry63 View Post
      Fibaro made a battery door window sensor that took the same DS-18B20 sensor as your picture, but they are hard to come by as they were replaced by newer versions without the remote sensor capability..
      Are you referring to the FGK-101-107?
      ... If these relay the actual temperature, then its perfect!

Comment

using the TH16 and Sonoff Basic for that purpose ( including my spa)

Have a look here:

https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/ho...17#post1422817

Comment

Originally posted by Ltek View Post

Are you referring to the FGK-101-107?
          ... If these relay the actual temperature, then its perfect!
          I'm using a 101 but they are listed as 10x where x changes for the color. I think I've seen silver and brown online. Mine is white (hence the 101). I had it on the far side of the pool for a while and it wasn't reliable due to range, but I moved it to the strainer about 15 feet closer and it has been very reliable. I had to change some parameters to report on ~ 1 degree change. If you set it too sensitive it will reduce the battery life significantly.

Comment

Here using Sonoff Basic's modded for temperature or temperature / humidity sensors MQTT transport.

Two of the Sonoff Basics have 5 DS18B20 1-wire sensors connected to them. Now over a year working great.

I am using Espurna firmware on these. Tasmota firmware works the same way.

Just watched a You Tube video which shows how you can remove the high voltage sections of the Sonoff Basic R2 module and utilize 5VDC to power it.

Really easy to do. You remove the transformer and lift the leg of one capacitor, cut the board (almost in half) then reinstall the solenoid (if you want to use it) and reinstall the board back in the original case.
            - Pete

Auto mator
            Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
            Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
            HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
            HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

I have a bunch of Fibaro FGK-101 (modified to run from 3V PS) and several Qubino relay modules. The all accept DS18B20 sensors. The Qubinos can be fed by a 24V PS.
              I am not sure it's rational but still, for temperature measurements, I think I like Qubino modules better.

There is Fibaro FGBS-222 that can take several 1-wire and analog signals. Unfortunately, last I checked, it did not work properly with HS but maybe, HST will fix it next week

Comment

The DsS18B20 is supported by many interfaces such as what Pete described. One can be plugged into Shelly1 for an out-of-the box solution for a WiFi sensor.

I use DS18B20 to measure pond temperature. I put one inside a small copper pipe and filled it with silicone sealant for waterproofing. It has been going for many years.

Comment

Also fyi, the typical waterproof version of the DS18b20 works well without additional protection:

https://a.aliexpress.com/_m03zqSx

It is molded in some type of epoxy under a stainless case.

Have one in spa, pool and pond.
                  No problems so far.

Comment

Since this is an outdoor spa, I need to power it with battery. There is a 120v 1A connector on the spa controller (for an ozonator which is not installed) that I MIGHT be able to jumper...I'll need to see if it is always on. For now, the Fibaro FGK-101 is preferred. Only EU versions on ebay at the moment.

Vit what mod did you do to the FGK-101?

Comment

I soldered this:
                      https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
                      inside the battery compartment.

I bought these things 2-3 years ago; and not that they are expensive but still, today, there are plenty of alternatives for a fraction of the cost.

The converter Input voltage is 5-12V; and so, any unused USB adapter will work. For your application, I'd make sure that whatever converter you use to drop 120v is UL listed.

As for DS18b20, I bought these:
                      https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
                      They come with 3m cables.

(Having said all that, I'd still vote for Qubino unless, of course, you have FGK-101s laying around)

Comment

If the spa is not too far, just run a small low voltage cable to it; an old phone extension or cat5 cable can do it.

You wont have to worry about changing batteries or keeping the device away from humidity.

​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Ltek View Post
                          Since this is an outdoor spa, I need to power it with battery. There is a 120v 1A connector on the spa controller (for an ozonator which is not installed) that I MIGHT be able to jumper...I'll need to see if it is always on. For now, the Fibaro FGK-101 is preferred. Only EU versions on ebay at the moment.

Vit what mod did you do to the FGK-101?
                          Smart Home Products claims to have several colors but not white. Not a great price. 102, 105, 106, I believe were all available.

Fibaro FGK-102 - Z-Wave Door/Window Sensor - Silver (smarthome-products.com)

Comment

Do not forget, FGK-101 is a Z-Wave device, not Z-Wave PLUS.
                            The (known to me) Z-Wave Plus version of the device does not accept external temp sensor.

Comment

Working...
                            X