Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What to look for in the future? WIFI? Is Z-wave dying?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For the Pros, there are also the Hasman DIN Rail Zwave controller modules : https://youtu.be/qqpTbJekUWg

Eman.
    TinkerLand : Life's Choices,"No One Size Fits All"

Comment

Originally posted by Kdiamond View Post

Click image for larger version  Name:	esp32.jpg Views:	0 Size:	56.9 KB ID:	1426944
      A word of caution here

With wifi on these devices consumes between 80-180mA and up to 400mA when sending out bursts.
      If you want to used them constantly connected and updating <1sec then make sure that each have an adequate power supply

With the 60 devices mentioned that will consume about 40W constantly 24/7 just to keep the lights off. 😉
      - Bram

Send from my Commodore VIC-20

Ashai_Rey____________________________________________________________ ________________
      HS3 Pro 3.0.0.534
      PIugins: ZMC audio | ZMC VR | ZMC IR | ZMC NDS | RFXcom | AZ scripts | Jon00 Scripts | BLBackup | FritzBox | Z-Wave | mcsMQTT | AK Ikea

Comment

Originally posted by Eman View Post
        For the Pros, there are also the Hasman DIN Rail Zwave controller modules : https://youtu.be/qqpTbJekUWg
        Eman.
        I wouldn't call anything that uses Z-wave professional. It's unreliable even for home use. Now ordered Tasmoto, Shell and Sonoff. I will see where this road takes me. I have high hopes though.

Comment

Originally posted by AshaiRey View Post

A word of caution here

With wifi on these devices consumes between 80-180mA and up to 400mA when sending out bursts.
          If you want to used them constantly connected and updating <1sec then make sure that each have an adequate power supply

With the 60 devices mentioned that will consume about 40W constantly 24/7 just to keep the lights off. 😉
          I have 12 x 2000W heaters. 40W will not make much of a difference

Comment

Which Sonoff basic? R2 or R3?
            https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000059190805.html
            preference for R2 .

I assume this is OpenMQTTgateway. There are 4 to chose from. Which one is the right one?

How do I connect it to HS?

Yes.
            The 30pin version
            Flash it with OMG. It will broadcast via MQTT.
            make sure you read the OMG how to.

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
              It doesn't matter. For temperature sensors you only need to utilize 1 GPIO pin, VCC and ground pin.
              What are other benefits of one VS other. Maybe I can use it for something else later on. I

Originally posted by Pete View Post
              Just watched a You Tube video on how to cut the high voltage AC section of a Sonoff Basic R2 to make it work with 5VDC.
              would it be better to buy R2 instead of R3?

Thank you

Br,
              Dali

Comment

Here is the difference between Sonoff basic R2 and R3. R3 is updated version.

https://oneguyoneblog.com/2019/12/13...-smart-switch/

Br,
                Dali

Comment

I got into Z-Wave when it was all the rage and most of my devices are Z-Wave. The Z-Wave+ ones really work well and are reliable. The problem with Z-Wave is that the little logo printed on the device costs you about 75% of the price of the device. Then too, the certification of Z-Wave devices is a bit of eye candy that means very little in terms of defining the capabilities of the device. So considering cost and effectiveness, I'm moving to Wi-Fi and Zigbee. Z-Wave won't go away anytime soon; you can still buy UPB devices!

I will add that Z-Wave might be seeing the writing on the wall. I just bought a Z-Wave dimmer plug for less than $30. That's less than half of what they were a year ago.

I wish there was a better answer to the loss of events when the HS server is offline. Most of my issues surrounding that are power utility related and ISP related. To that end, I have a UPS and router. The router plugs into the modem and my "internal network" keeps on keeping on even when the ISP decides to down their network for [whatever excuse].

If your device is battery powered, it probably should be Zigbee.
                  HomeSeer Version: HS4 Pro Edition 4.2.19.0 (Windows - Running as a Service)
                  Home Assistant 2024.3
                  Operating System: Microsoft Windows 11 Pro - Desktop
                  Z-Wave Devices via two Z-Net G3s
                  Zigbee Devices via RaspBee on RPi 3b+
                  WiFi Devices via Internal Router.

Enabled Plug-Ins
                  AK GoogleCalendar 4.0.4.16,AK HomeAssistant 4.0.1.23,AK SmartDevice 4.0.5.1,AK Weather 4.0.5.181,AmbientWeather 3.0.1.9,Big6 3.44.0.0,BLBackup 2.0.64.0,BLGData 3.0.55.0,BLLock 3.0.39.0,BLUPS 2.0.26.0,Device History 4.5.1.1,EasyTrigger 3.0.0.76,Harmony Hub 4.0.14.0,HSBuddy 4.51.303.0,JowiHue 4.1.4.0,LG ThinQ 4.0.26.0,ONVIF Events 1.0.0.5,SDJ-Health 3.1.1.9,TPLinkSmartHome4 2022.12.30.0,UltraCID3 3.0.6681.34300,Z-Wave 4.1.3.0

Comment

Thank you Dali.

Relating to WAPs here have gone from DD-WRT to OpenWRT to Ubiquiti to Ruckus most recently.

The Ruckus AP can be configured with multiple SSIDs using one or the two radios, automeshing, VLANs, et al.

I still tinker here with OpenWRT devices and configuring a little bit of automation on these.

While testing Ring wireless (ZWave) closed system I have been able to utilize a Ring to MQTT application which allows me to monitor and manage the alarm system via a Homeseer or Home Assistant. I am OK with having to deal with batteries but still prefer wired sensors but these are a PITA to have to wire.
                    - Pete

Auto mator
                    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                    HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Final tip on the Shellies: https://github.com/yaourdt/mgos-to-tasmota

By far the most easiest way to convert them to Tasmota. Power the device, connect WiFi, set the WiFi parameters, and then convert!
                      stefxx

Comment

What are other benefits of one VS other. Maybe I can use it for something else later on. I
                        https://youtu.be/A-WcIz47Lco

Comment

Here went from using Tasmota to Espurna and now back to Tasmota. I really like both of these firmwares. They each have their benefits and nuances. I like the static IP configuration and the MQTT line items provided to configure reception of MQTT stuff on the Espurna. I am liking the templates / scripting interface on the newest Tasmota firmware.
                          - Pete

Auto mator
                          Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                          Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                          HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                          HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Code:
                            HS can catch up missed events. But there is not a system in the world that can handle a events send to it when not operational.
                            Absolutely, I would like to avoid devices with event triggering and replace then with device with full time connection and periodically (<1sec) reporting the state/values. That would eliminate missed events as all values and stetes will be restored the moment host restarts, for example.
                            I use UPB for lighting control, and when HS is restarted, the plugin repolls all devices. I cannot remember when I was aware of a device having a different status than HS represented.
                            tenholde

Comment

Originally posted by tenholde View Post
                              I use UPB for lighting control, and when HS is restarted, the plugin repolls all devices. I cannot remember when I was aware of a device having a different status than HS represented.
                              For Tasmota, a single "cmnd/tasmotas/status" with payload "0" will instantly sync device status with HS4.
                              stefxx

Comment

Working...
                              X