Changing The Status Quo!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changing The Status Quo!

What if HomeSeer (HST) makes some changes to Zwave and de-clutter the HomeSeer server by separating Zwave and put it on a raspberry PI? I mean, they already do a ZNET so that would become the HS Zway-Server and if one has already a Z-Stick the server software should be offered to roll one's own .
    • In fact the idea is not so far fetched there already exist a few Zway servers which operate this way.
    • The main reason and gain from this is to free up the HomeSeer server from corrupt databases and the you know what?.........."The I hate Zwave" Indeed they could also add an MQTT interface in the dev. to spice it up! Please just tell me you already had this in planning I can't thank you enough for adding Node-RED and who knows..............
    I just installed a Raspbee (image below) server and it's already looking interesting! I could use the JowiHue plugin but also have the option of using ioBroker to interlink everything using Node-RED and HomeSeer

Click image for larger version  Name:	Phoscon.png Views:	0 Size:	177.4 KB ID:	1427174

Just a wish!

Eman.
    TinkerLand : Life's Choices,"No One Size Fits All"

Z-Wave is already separate from HS - it's a plugin

Comment

Originally posted by Tillsy View Post
      Z-Wave is already separate from HS - it's a plugin
      True, so do all the other plugins like HSTouch. But having the Zway server manage and store it's databases and backups would solve the drag the zwave brings to the HomeSeer server.

Not to mention, just like Docker containers! When one container fails the system keeps on running!

Eman.

Comment

Is your system not working if the Z-Wave plugin fails? I've never encountered a failed Z-Wave plugin but plugins run in their own executable space so a failed Z-Wave exe shouldn't effect HS other than your Z-Wave devices aren't going to work.

💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
          Is your system not working if the Z-Wave plugin fails? I've never encountered a failed Z-Wave plugin but plugins run in their own executable space so a failed Z-Wave exe shouldn't effect HS other than your Z-Wave devices aren't going to work.
          There is a good read here : https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/ho...s-z-wave-dying Looks like I was fighting a one man's war!

Else, I haven't the amount Zwave devices those guys are on about. I run a bunch of servers with other protocols so if something is not working in HomeSeer I stick in another. They are all interlinked with less Event creation thus server 2server!

Eman.

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
            I have seen the Z-Wave plugin can impacted HomeSeer. For example let's say you had five Z-Wave devices that were no longer in range or completely powered off and an event tries to turn them on - HomeSeer comes grinding to an absolute halt for 10-20 seconds while it times out communication to those devices. Nothing works.

That said, all the things being impacted are obviously Z-Wave related.... for example other events trying to fire in that time obviously trying to talk to other Z-Wave devices. So perhaps HomeSeer itself is still humming along fine, but the Z-Wave plugin itself has a design flaw where it gets completely tied up unto itself when dealing with non-responsive devices and thus comms with everything comes crashing down.

Again in above example of HomeSeer trying to talk to 5 unavailable devices you might have motion sensors trigger, various events fire, and a bunch of Z-Wave devices therefore changed in state... let's say a bunch of lights should have turned on, blinds go up, etc.... during that 10-20 seconds above nothing happens, but then ***BAM*** all of a sudden all of it happens at once after the timeout finally falls through.

However as I said that likely happens because HomeSeer itself IS happily purring along and it's the plugin that is struggling. Rich has hinted that the next Z-Wave plugin is a complete re-write so it has me hopeful that this kind of thing might become a thing of the past as modern code would presumably be running multiple threads that splice off different aspects independently and thus a timeout/jam of any kind couldn't block the pipes so to speak. That's my thinking anyways, I'm looking forward to the new plugin personally

Comment

Working...
            X