Scene Speed Lags a Lot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scene Speed Lags a Lot

In my open kitchen, living room, and dining area, I have about 16 z-wave switches (all Inovelli Red Series) for various lights. It is a mix of LZW31-SN (Dimmer), LZW30-SN (On/Off), and LZW36 (Fan) switches (with the dimmer being the most common). I would like to set up 3 or 4 different lighting scenes. My controller is a dedicated computer running HS4 Pro with a z-wave interface (z-stick+). It sits in the living room very close to all 16 switches. HomeSeer works almost instantaneously when I control a single switch. However, when I use homeseer to set a scene (by running an event that sets each of the 16 lights) it takes about 30 seconds for the scene to fully take effect. Is there any way to get the scene to run more quickly?

One idea that I wanted to try was to go in and create an actual z-wave "scene". That way I could just send a single command instead of 16 individual commands. However, only the on/off switches appear in the list of switches to choose from. Do the dimmers and fan switches not support z-wave scenes?

Any help or tips would be appreciated.

Thanks!!

Damon

I was wondering this too, did you ever get this to work for you?

Comment

No, I didn't. Right now it just takes 30 seconds for a scene to switch. I've tried quite a few things, but nothing has helped. I read somewhere that if you add all your devices in the non-secure mode, then there is less traffic. I'm wondering if that would help at all. But, I haven't gotten ambitious enough to drop all my devices, re-add them and fix all my rules... that's a lot of work!

Comment

One thing I like is the backup option, before you get froggy and jump, backup your present working system. Even download a copy just in case. I’m anxious to see how this works out.

Comment

Just an update here. I got ambitious today and removed/re-added all the lights in my living room and kitchen area (whoever designed the house went a little crazy with light switches - so there are literally 20 of them!). I added them using the unsecure method. It sped up the scenes by quite a bit. I also noticed in the logs that there were a lot of messages about energy readings. I disabled that feature on the switches. It sped it up a little more. I'm down from 10-30 seconds down to 3-8 seconds. Not perfect, but not bad.

As a side note, if anybody has to switch out a bunch of switches, I found a method to easily retain your existing events without having to rebuild them. First, shut down hs4. Then open your events.json file. Simply find and replace the references to the old device with the new reference id. Start homeseer back up and all of your events magically work. If you want to get fancy, I used the following regex in notepad++ to do the find/replace.

Find (this is finding refID = 17, replace the number with your ref ID)
          Code:
          ((?<=K)|(?<="dvRef":))(\s*17)(?!\d)
          Then replace with the new ref id. After that, I just had to re-do my associations and set my device parameters (which I do with a script).

Last hack. I tried creating an actual z-wave scene using the old scenes interface. My Inovelli Red series Dimmers didn't show up in the list of dropdown options. I simply opened my html inspector in Chrome (right click and inspect) then found the drop down menu, added a new value for the device I wanted to add and then selected it in the drop down and submitted like normal. Worked like a charm... but it's a slow process to add all 20 switches. It did seem to perform slightly better than an event. But it was a pain in the butt and I didn't feel like re-creating all my scenes that way.

Comment

Originally posted by damonj2 View Post
            Just an update here. I got ambitious today and removed/re-added all the lights in my living room and kitchen area (whoever designed the house went a little crazy with light switches - so there are literally 20 of them!)..
            Got ya beat, I just walked around, as you, just my living/family room and adjoining open floor plan kitchen. Wait for it..........31! Well 30, as one is the garbage disposer and that's definitely not automated and a regular switch, all the rest are either Z-Wave, legacy X-10 (4) and Insteon.

Custom designed home and the electrical specs were done by me. Neutrals to every box. Electrician learned to hate me!

Comment

Lol. That's a lot of switches. I was just counting the switches in the main living area that controlled the living area lights. If I count the 6 switches in the entry way and kitchen that control patio and porch lights, and the two ceiling fans, and the garbage disposal (which of course, I did not automate either... that would just be a disaster waiting to happen!), it brings the count up to 29 switches in the main area. You still have me beat I'll tell you what, it took a long time for me to change out all the switches in the house!

Comment

Any why do you think that I'm migrating as fast as I can away from X-10? The house got haunted over the past year or so while I was traveling. WAF was in a nose-dive so I got a free pass to buy a while bucking funch of Z-Wave, Insteon and Zigbee stuff! All I can say is that eBay is your friend and saved my wallet!

Comment

Working...
                X