Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How often to optimize Z-wave network. Battery devices?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How often to optimize Z-wave network. Battery devices?

Hi.

Whenever I add a Z-wave device I make a Full Optimize All using Z-Seer+, but that excludes battery powered device. How's with that? Should battery devices be optimized too as then need to me woken up manually?

Thank you

Br,
    Dali

It's no longer recommended to do a full optimization. Rather just optimize the device you've just added. Battery operated devices would need to be awaken to optimize them. The will never be used to route so no need to wake them when optimizing another device.
    -Rupp
    sigpic

Comment

Thank you.

What would be your best advice to improve Z-wave signal for devices on other floors with poor reception. They tend to be unreliable sometimes.

I have Aeotec rage Extender 6, but doesn't seem to make much of a difference. Does it have any benefit to any other powered device which should also be a repeaters by default. Is there any benefit of using dedicated Z-wave Extenders over any other powered device that should do the same taks?

Does the Z-Seer+ Set Command Route and Set Return Routes makes any practical use. Sometimes the Aeotec Range Extender is not even in the list, but some other more distant devices are? There goes my logic.

Thank you
      Br,
      Dali

Comment

Originally posted by Kdiamond View Post
        Thank you.

What would be your best advice to improve Z-wave signal for devices on other floors with poor reception. They tend to be unreliable sometimes.
        I had this issue with some devices in my 2 story home with metal lath & plaster walls and ceilings. I added a z-net on the upper floor and moved upstairs nodes to it. No problems since.
        -Wade

Comment

I had this issue with some devices in my 2 story home with metal lath & plaster walls and ceilings. I added a z-net on the upper floor and moved upstairs nodes to it. No problems since.

Yes that's what I also though about also. Same could be done with USB over RJ45 using another Z-wave USB interface on another floor.
          https://www.amazon.com/Apoi-Extender.../dp/B07Y3YQZPR

How to move nodes from one device to other and having HS to migrate devices to new interface? It doesn't seem very straightforward.

Thank you

Br,
          Dali

Comment

Originally posted by Kdiamond View Post
            How to move nodes from one device to other and having HS to migrate devices to new interface? It doesn't seem very straightforward.
            Yes, that's unfortunately a cumbersome process. You must exclude from one controller, include on the new controller, then fix your events that use the devices. I'm on HS3 and I found the following procedure to work well, albeit a bit tedious. I moved 34 nodes.

1. Document all events and devices using Jon00's event viewer and device viewer. Save as .csv and/or .txt file. If something should go wrong you can reference these documents to recreate what you had before.
            2. Select a device to move.
            3. Filter events view on that device and leave the events page open.
            4. Exclude device from the first controller and reinclude on the new controller.
            5. Repair events in the filtered view, one by one.
            6. Repeat steps 2-5 for each device to be moved.

On step 5, I found that the event page remains filtered on the excluded device despite the device being removed. Once I selected the new device in the particular trigger(s), condition(s) and/or action(s), the event would be filtered out leaving only those that still needed repair. Note that in most cases I just needed to select the new device for the trigger/condition/action. But in a few cases--not sure why--the action was broken and had to be deleted and recreated.
            -Wade

Comment

Hi.

Yes, that's unfortunately a cumbersome process. You must exclude from one controller, include on the new controller, then fix your events that use the devices. I'm on HS3 and I found the following procedure to work well, albeit a bit tedious. I moved 34 nodes.

I was expecting that kind of answer as I was thinking at this direction myself. That's a road I will not go. Probably less work to replace troubled Z-wave devices with other WIFI devices. I'm currently exploring Tasmota / MQTT. There you can simply expand the range with any kind of routers/AP/Extenders or create a MASH that actually works.

I've had it with Z-wave and that's just one of the many reasons. I'm not aware of any new device that came out in recent years plus Z-wave device costs way to much because of licencing . I'm afraid Z-wave is dead end. My goal is to replace every single Z-wave device eventually.

Br
              Dali

Comment

Working...
              X