Sky goes offline daily

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sky goes offline daily

My sky is mounted on a pole about 80' from my pole barn where the hub is located. The barn is covered in metal. The Air is mounted outside the pole barn on the north wall. It has am RSSI of -58. The Sky is mounted on a pole about 80 feet away and has an RSSI of -88; it has worked for over a year just fine until a few days ago. Now it drops off almost daily.

I've read all the other threads and distance to the hub seems to be the fix. So I moved the hub to the wall closest to the Sky (about 32 feet). The RSSI got worse (-90).

Is t possible that the Sky is going bad? It has the solar panel option and the voltage is fine.

I think they use a special calibration tool to position it.

Eman.
    TinkerLand : Life's Choices,"No One Size Fits All"

Comment

Originally posted by Eman View Post
      I think they use a special calibration tool to position it.
      I don't understand your response.

BTW, now the Air has dropped offline.

Comment

Originally posted by Rut Row View Post
        I don't understand your response.

BTW, now the Air has dropped offline.
        Sorry I must have misunderstood Here in UK Sky means SKY Television (Services)

Eman

Comment

Sounds like your Internet Service Provider is wireless. What is the internet address for your internet provider?

The dropping connection could be related to some intermittant obstruction if your antenna is using line of sight to the mothership antenna.

What does the antenna look like?

Is it flat and square?

The fix could be repositioning your antenna higher by the ISP. Have you opened a ticket relating to the intermittent issue with your wireless ISP?

Starlink has been testing rural locations for Internet. Sign up here ==> StarLink

- Pete

Auto mator
          Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
          Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
          HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
          HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
            Sounds like your Internet Service Provider is wireless. What is the internet address for your internet provider?

The dropping connection could be related to some intermittant obstruction if your antenna is using line of sight to the mothership antenna.

What does the antenna look like?

Is it flat and square?

The fix could be repositioning your antenna higher by the ISP. Have you opened a ticket relating to the intermittent issue with your wireless ISP?

Starlink has been testing rural locations for Internet. Sign up here ==> StarLink
            no, the devices lose connection with the hub

Comment

Originally posted by Rut Row View Post

no, the devices lose connection with the hub
              Buddy
              I may have been far off but lets try again!

OK, is any of this stuff you are trying to connect network based? Say for example you have a network switch?
              • If you do and have recently connected extra bits and bobs there by a slight chance you have some looped cables.
              • If you unknowingly plugged a cable from a switch and back into it. This can happen! And sometimes badly homemade Ethernet cables.
              • You may also need a cable tester to troubleshoot!
              How is that?

Eman.

Comment

Yes it is network based. The wireless router was 1 foot from the hub. It is now 32' from the hub with no walls between them. (More on that in a few sentences).

The hub has been untouched from the 1st day - no changes.

The #1 problem was connectivity to the devises from the hub, not the network.

So, I have it working again. I unplugged the hub and moved it to within 1 foot of the exterior wall. It took a long time to refresh the RSSI readings because the polling intervals between the devices and hub seem long. Anyway the RSSI for the "Air" unit improved from -58 to -51. The "Sky" unit went from -88 in the original location to -80. The first time I tried this the "Sky" RSSI got worse (-90) but the second time stabilized at -80.

Comment

OK,
                  Assuming that the device can use WiFi, then it can also be connected using an RJ45 cable directly from one of holes on the router. Then you would not have had any problems whatsoever.

Eman.

Comment

Originally posted by Eman View Post

Sorry I must have misunderstood Here in UK Sky means SKY Television (Services)
                    Here in Australia it is the atmosphere above us so I'm equally as confused about plugging stuff into it

Comment

Rut Row

Help us help you. I have not seen any posts here now for a few weeks.

Should we assume that you are not having any issues now?

Pencil draw your network from the ISP (Internet Service Provider) to each device in your home.

Scan the drawing and post it here.
                      - Pete

Auto mator
                      Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                      Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
                        Rut Row

Help us help you. I have not seen any posts here now for a few weeks.

Should we assume that you are not having any issues now?

Pencil draw your network from the ISP (Internet Service Provider) to each device in your home.

Scan the drawing and post it here.
                        Yes, I think he did. Post #8

Eman.

Comment

Thank you Eman. Did not catch post #8.
                          - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Working...
                          X