Gosund WiFi dimmers (ESP8266 based) any experience out there

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gosund WiFi dimmers (ESP8266 based) any experience out there

After 20 happy years with Lutron Radio RA dimmers I'm migrating to WiFi dimmers for a very trivial reason. Lutron Radio RA still performs great but can't drive LED lights which is a biggie obviously.

Picked Gosund dimmers

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07VP4PHJJ

Anyone out there having experience with these? I'm mostly interested in the API. Published API, hacked API anything will help. I understand that they are ESP8266 based. Not sure if they are easy to manage (haven't received them yet) as far as firmware flashing goes. I've done quite a bit of that too, but would prefer the API route and keep the firmware flashing (Tuya, Tasmota) as a last resort.

Thanks,

RISquare

Personally here have flashed them with Tasmota and working well in house #2. I prefer not to have them speak to the cloud; that is me.

I was using mostly Espurna firmware until I tried the new Tasmota firmware with templates / scripting.

Dimming outdoor coach lamps with clear candlabra bulbs. Doing same with house #1 / outdoor coach lamps and UPB.

- Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
    HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by risquare View Post
      After 20 happy years with Lutron Radio RA dimmers I'm migrating to WiFi dimmers for a very trivial reason. Lutron Radio RA still performs great but can't drive LED lights which is a biggie obviously.

Picked Gosund dimmers

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07VP4PHJJ

Anyone out there having experience with these? I'm mostly interested in the API. Published API, hacked API anything will help. I understand that they are ESP8266 based. Not sure if they are easy to manage (haven't received them yet) as far as firmware flashing goes. I've done quite a bit of that too, but would prefer the API route and keep the firmware flashing (Tuya, Tasmota) as a last resort.

Thanks,

RISquare
      I was under impression that lutron does handle led lights!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Comment

Mine is first generation RadioRA the original. There is RadioRA 2 and many more Lutron stand alone (not controllable) dimmers.I’m sure some of them do support LED. Mine don’t for sure. Still “cheating” them here and there. For example if a chandelier has 12 bulbs I’d use 11 led and 1 incandescent. It works but is not professional.

Comment

Pete

Would you be so kind to provide instructions how to flash them. I can flash any ESP board if I have access to Rx Tx pins which is not the case here. It obviously has to happen OTA which I’m not familiar with.
          Thanks,
          RIsquare

Comment

I did a quickie write up doing this with Linux over here ==> Firmware update of a GoSund switch. and here Gosund WiFi dimmer replacing firmware.

Used my laptop and wireless connection.
            1. git clone hxxps://github.com/ct-Open-Source/tuya-convert
            2. cd tuya-convert
            3. ./install_prereq.sh
            4. ./start_flash.sh
            The script will give you the choice of using Tasmota or Espurna firmware.

Pick Tasmota.

Update the firmware with latest Tasmota firmware with scripting built in.

Add the GoSund dimmer template and script and you will be good to go.
            - Pete

Auto mator
            Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
            Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

While I have converted all my Tuya devices to Tasmota, the opening premise of this thread is that flashing is not desired. The Tuya plugin should support this device if you are able to use Tuya Convert to change the firmware.

The hacked API is available via Google search. I had implemented the version 1 protocol in mcsMQTT and started version 2 but did not release after HST announced Tuya support so no longer a need as part of mcsMQTT.

Comment

Originally posted by risquare View Post
                Mine is first generation RadioRA the original. There is RadioRA 2 and many more Lutron stand alone (not controllable) dimmers.I’m sure some of them do support LED. Mine don’t for sure. Still “cheating” them here and there. For example if a chandelier has 12 bulbs I’d use 11 led and 1 incandescent. It works but is not professional.
                were you satisfied with lutron over all?
                I'm thinking going this path and change all my HS for it! I don't find there switches and dimmers reliable.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Comment

It is off topic but I'll reply anyhow. Please refer to the appropriate sub-forum for further discussion on Lutron. Yes, RadioRA that I have is very reliable. I'm phasing it out after 20 years of use. To put it in prospective I played with other technologies as well and here is how I rate them from 1 (worst ) to 10 (best)

X10 - 3
                  Zwave - 2
                  Lutron RadioRA - 9

X10 is susceptible to noises and Zwave was a total failure due to the size of my property (may work better in smaller properties).

I have maxed it out using two subsystems in bridged setup plus the max amount of 3 repeaters per subsystem. My system is so large that it took Blade (the author of RadioRA plug-in) by surprise as he was not ready for bridged system. He was very cooperative and polished the plug-in to perfection. I would use it for many more years if it wasn't for the LED. Dimmers fail miserable with the LED. It is not a surprise for a system that was developed in the 80-s. Unless you're a fan of incandescent bulbs I do not recommend RadioRA first gen.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael McSharry View Post
                    While I have converted all my Tuya devices to Tasmota, the opening premise of this thread is that flashing is not desired. The Tuya plugin should support this device if you are able to use Tuya Convert to change the firmware.

The hacked API is available via Google search. I had implemented the version 1 protocol in mcsMQTT and started version 2 but did not release after HST announced Tuya support so no longer a need as part of mcsMQTT.
                    True. API is first choice but if it is not available than flashing is second. Which hacked API is available by Google search? API for Gosund or for Tuya.

Comment

Pete Thanks a lot for the very useful information. I'll give it a shot for sure if I fail to find API to control Gosund without changing the firmware.

Comment

I believe I started with m4rcus TuyaCore on Github. There are other discussions and codes when digging through the internet.

Comment

Rented a beach house week before last with a Control 4 / Sonos / Lutron switches. All of the lighting had been updated with LED lamps. Guessing set up was more than 10 years old. None of the LED lamps dimmed. My guess is that they were first generation LED lighting. Lately here have been upgrading LED lamps to dimmable types and they are working well with UPB in wall switches in one home and GoSund dimmer switches in house #2.

Personally here have always soldered on a JTAG to update firmware and it was always hit or miss using OTA. Last OTA GoSund update was easy and it worked well. I like the updating script in that it gives you a choice of using Tasmota or Espurna. Before installing automation software in house #2 automated the switches using the built in Tasmota scheduling software.
                          - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Originally posted by Michael McSharry View Post
                            I believe I started with m4rcus TuyaCore on Github. There are other discussions and codes when digging through the internet.
                            Thanks, this helps a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
                              I did a quickie write up doing this with Linux over here ==> Firmware update of a GoSund switch. and here Gosund WiFi dimmer replacing firmware.

Used my laptop and wireless connection.
                              1. git clone hxxps://github.com/ct-Open-Source/tuya-convert
                              2. cd tuya-convert
                              3. ./install_prereq.sh
                              4. ./start_flash.sh
                              The script will give you the choice of using Tasmota or Espurna firmware.

Pick Tasmota.

Update the firmware with latest Tasmota firmware with scripting built in.

Add the GoSund dimmer template and script and you will be good to go.
                              O.K. Done everything successfully excluding the very last step "...add script"

My Tasmota Web UI doesn't show any option to add script. I did upgrade to the latest version 8.5.0 and yet no button or link for scripting.

What am I doing wrong ?

Thanks,

Comment

Working...
                              X