Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tradfri Without Hub + Zigbee Compatibility + Ring Z-Wave Integration?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tradfri Without Hub + Zigbee Compatibility + Ring Z-Wave Integration?

Hello all,

I'd purchased HS3 sometime back, but never got around to setting it up. At this point I've upgraded to HS4 and am looking to order some motion sensors, buttons, and a few extra smart lights to get it set up when I have some time around the holidays.

Three questions:
    1. I'd been under the (seemingly-false) impression that Zigbee was entirely standardized, and that if I had a Zigbee USB stick I'd be able to use any Zigbee device. Is this not the case? If not, how does one ensure compatibility before committing to purchase some products?

2. I've been trying to decide between the Xiaomi Mijia button and the Ikea Tradfri dimmer switches, and am leaning toward the Tradfri due to lower price + faster response. My question, though: Can they directly connect to USB Zigbee adapter, or do they have to connect through some proprietary hub?

3. We have a Ring Alarm System, and I was wondering if Homeseer can monitor the door sensor status if I got a Z-Wave adapter? I'm not sure how Z-Wave works, but I would think there would be some way for it to "listen" for a particular sensor's trigger transmission if it knows the "ID" (or decryption key - not sure of terminology). Mainly just looking for it to trigger lights if a certain door is opened.

Thank you

We have a Ring Alarm System, and I was wondering if Homeseer can monitor the door sensor status if I got a Z-Wave adapter?

No.

Here testing a Ring to MQTT plugin which works with sensors and the Ring Doorbell and allows you to arm / disarm monitor batteries of sensors et al.

- Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb

HS4 Pro - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

A good source for compatibility of Zigbee devices is https://zigbee.blakadder.com/Ikea_ICTC-G-1.html. There are several HS plugins that support Zigbee. The least mature is from HST so you will not see it in the reference table.

Comment

Now that HomeSeer supports Node-RED, install your Linux (Ubuntu or Debian) Sever (HomeSeer) say on an Intel NUC then install Node-RED on the same server then you have three choices of how to run Zigbee to choose from : 1, HomeSeer Plugin (in the works) 2, JowiHue Plugin and 3, Node-RED : https://github.com/andreypopov/node-red-contrib-deconz
        There is no rule to stop you from having different protocols in the same premises so add a ZNET forZ wave. You can section your setup into zones (Z wave / Zigbee) or your hearts' desire.
        • And am sure you will find your device here : https://phoscon.de/en/conbee2/compatible
        • If you decide to install on Raspberry PI 4 you can then use a DeconZ PI hat device (Raspbee Premium or Raspbee II) and set the servers web start up ports from 80 to different to avoid conflict between HomeSeer and Phoscon)

Eman.
        TinkerLand : Life's Choices,"No One Size Fits All"

Comment

Thank you, all.

Had a chance this weekend to bang my head on this to try to get it working. Got Debian installed and Homeseer installed under it, alongside Node Red, and they are now talking to each other.

I do have a couple main questions, though:

1. I've gotten the HomeSeer Phillips Hue plugin (not JowieHue) installed. An issue that I'm running into, is that It appears to only get status changes of my Hue Dimmer Switch on the interval configured in the Hue plugin... And the lowest interval I can set is 1 second.

Is there a way to lower this interval to 0.5 seconds, or less? Or, better, a way to have the Hue hub send a signal to Homeseer whenever a button is pressed? Even if it takes some other plugins to work.

2. How do other pieces of software, such as DeconZ or ConBee relate to HomeSeer, NodeRed, and the HUSBZB-1 adapter? From what I'm reading, it sounds like they act as a software hub, communicating between HomeSeer and the HUSBZB-1/devices. Is this correct? And is there a comparison somewhere of how the different available "software hubs" work with Homeseer?

EDIT:
          Spent some more time reading through the information out there. I've found the following:
          1. The Hue hub does not send status updates, and requires that other things poll it to get updates. Looks like I'm going to need to remove the hub from the equation.
          2. It appears that the flow of connections between the different components to get all this to work would be:
          Device (bulb or switch) -> Conbee USB adapter -> Phoscon/DeconZ -> JowieHue plugin -> HomeSeer -> NodeRed.
          Is this correct? If so... That's a lot of moving parts.

Follow-up questions:
          1. It looks like at least one or two of the devices I've been eyeing is not compatible with ZHA, so Phoscon/DeconZ looks to be the direction I'll need to go for Zigbee device connectivity. It does not appear that this HUSBZB-1 (ordered one a few days ago and have been trying to get it to work) can be used with these - is that correct? If so, I'm going to need to order a Conbee 2 instead.
          2. There is a rather large number of broken links scattered all over Homeseer.com. One of particular interest to me is this one (https://helpdesk.homeseer.com/catego...-zigbee-plugin) found on (https://shop.homeseer.com/products/h...65d3e5b7&_ss=r), for "See guide for instructions and list of compatible devices." It would be nice to know if this + the HUSBZB-1 would be of any use to me before ordering a Conbee 2. Does anyone have an updated link for this?

Comment

Am not going to quote any part of your post because I get criticized of my style posts. Am the one who at post # 4 mentioned about the three ways of how to run Zigbee. So to put it in a clear picture and not to confuse you any further :

Eman.
            TinkerLand : Life's Choices,"No One Size Fits All"

Comment

Originally posted by Eman View Post
              Am not going to quote any part of your post because I get criticized of my style posts. Am the one who at post # 4 mentioned about the three ways of how to run Zigbee. So to put it in a clear picture and not to confuse you any further :

Eman.
              Ok, thank you for simplifying that, Eman. I've gone ahead and ordered a Conbee 2 to work on getting JowieHue working.

Comment

Working...
              X