Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for a simple way to track both; presence and backup limit of car in garage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for a simple way to track both; presence and backup limit of car in garage

I am trying to figure a simple yet effective way to be warned (by LED light) of the backup limit when getting my car in the garage AND with the same tool know if a car is or not in the garage

I have tried with a Z-WAVE MIMOlite, Multiple Input – Multiple Output device where I have a retro-reflective sensor connected to the signal input of the mimolite and a LED light connected to the NO relay bloc (via 12V powersupply) where I have events to turn on/off the relay when the signal input gets triggered but the response time is too slow, (before the light turns on I have time to hit the backside wall)

I tried setting the Mimolite so that instead of having an event turning on the LED, the Mimolite automatically change the relay switch as soon as the signal input is triggered but then the LED light will permanently stays ON and cannot be turned off by an event as this configuration de-activates Z-wave command to the relay. Sure I could install another relay on the LED light and manage it with an event so that after 2 minutes the LED turns off and when the retro-reflective detects no more car it could then turn it back on but I find this setup to be more than complicated...

So basically, does anyone have an effective, yet simple setup that does what I am looking for ?

thanks for any advice

Reflective device https://www.amazon.ca/Seco-Larm-Enfo...79663177&psc=1)

I think a small wiring change is all that is necessary.

Refer to the sketch below.

Wiring the LED directly into the sensor relay will give instant notification. You see that when the sensor detects the car, its Com & NO relay contacts will short together. At the same time the Mimo input will change state as it will lose it ground connection, giving you notification that the car is home.

The LED is also wired through the Mimo Com & NC relay contacts and if it is not energized, will complete the path for the LED to illuminate when the car triggers the sensor.

You have the option to turn the LED off via the Mimo relay being energized (using an event) after 2 minutes, provided you reverse this again when the car leaves.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	233
Size:	283.0 KB
ID:	1430444 .

Jon

Comment

Thanks you Jon, I'll modify my test circuit tonight and see if I can get this to work but this is exaclty what I need !

Comment

Originally posted by jon00 View Post
        I think a small wiring change is all that is necessary.

Refer to the sketch below.

Wiring the LED directly into the sensor relay will give instant notification. You see that when the sensor detects the car, its Com & NO relay contacts will short together. At the same time the Mimo input will change state as it will lose it ground connection, giving you notification that the car is home.

The LED is also wired through the Mimo Com & NC relay contacts and if it is not energized, will complete the path for the LED to illuminate when the car triggers the sensor.

You have the option to turn the LED off via the Mimo relay being energized (using an event) after 2 minutes, provided you reverse this again when the car leaves.

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	233
Size:	283.0 KB
ID:	1430444 .
        Thank you so much, this is working to perfection !

Comment

Couldn’t help it...

Name:	598DF658-D900-46ED-B354-833F148C9D05.jpeg
Views:	136
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	1431214
          Michael

Comment

Originally posted by Rvtravlr View Post
            Couldn’t help it...

Name:	598DF658-D900-46ED-B354-833F148C9D05.jpeg
Views:	136
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	1431214
            yeah ...
            that system does not work when you are backing a 24 foot trailer attached to a long wheel base F-250 in a car shelter ...

Comment

Originally posted by goldriver View Post

yeah ...
              that system does not work when you are backing a 24 foot trailer attached to a long wheel base F-250 in a car shelter ...
              Put a tilt sensor on the tube

Comment

Something like this stick on a hinge run by gravity. reed relay no batteries. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5991.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	1431274

Comment

yeah ...
                  Your original post stated that you were looking for "a simple yet effective way to be warned (by LED light) of the backup limit when getting my *car* in the garage." Had you indicated that you were looking for a solution for a 24' trailer you might have been offered different solutions.

I am trying to figure a simple yet effective way to be warned (by LED light) of the backup limit when getting my car in the garage AND with the same tool know if a car is or not in the garage...
                  I have done this with ultrasonic sensors. I have also seen LASER sensors that will work.

Comment

Finally, I decided to go with the laser sensor together with the Mimo and a 12v led

This solution serves me with 3 purposes, first I have an exact position warning when I pass the laser, second, I can turn the led off after x minutes of the trailer in position and third I can use this setup as an pushover alarm if someone ever tow the kit out of the shelter

Comment

Working...
                    X