Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for a solution for detecting if someone is in the passenger seat of a vehicle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As I said in my first post in the thread, have you considered Bluetooth monitoring?

https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/3r...ty-detector-v2

Jon

Comment

Everybody...

Thanks for the help on this. I probably made this harder than it needs to be if a z-wave motion detector could trigger while someone got in the car. I was thinking this wouldn't work originally since z-wave and the steel in cars don't get along well. In my case, especially since the door is open when this would initially trigger, one car is close to other devices in the garage, and the one in the streets just happens to always be parked with the passenger door on the house side my system sits. A really simple solution may actually work. I've had horrible luck back with things like Smarthings arrival sensors and more recently aeotec minimotes from the interior of cars.

This also meets my number design objective of keeping everything possible local to the server.

I don't supposed there are any Gen 7 motions detectors out there? Doesn't look like Aeotec makes one and I'm not going to start drilling to mount a door sensor. It's not the end of the world, but I swore I wasn't buying anything else until Gen 7. They have better battery life, better range, better speed.

Comment

Originally posted by ts1234 View Post
        HSAccord - Ultramon - For some reason I thought iPhones basically went to sleep sometimes and were tough to monitor that way. If that is not true and it's stable, I used it for other things a while back and that might be really handy.
        You may be right. I don't use iPhones, but a quick Google does show a lot of talk about that happening.

I still would choose to solve this differently than relying on passenger seat occupancy, but I am curious to hear what you get working.

Comment

The uber geek in me says monitor the CAN bus in the car

Comment

Screw privacy and freedom and just RFID chip everyone.

</joking>

Comment

As an update to this. I used a strip of the "hook" side of a Velcro strip applied to the side of an Ecolink motion sensor I had laying around under the passenger seat facing forward into the area of the floorboard in front of the seat. The hook side of the Velcro holds tightly to the carpet with no other means needed to stabilize it. I was concerned with range since it would be surrounded by steel/glass. This likely works well because it triggers while the door is still open reducing the impact of obstructions. The jeep is parked on the street about 25' outside the house and the HS4 server on the far side of room on that side of the house behind a picture.

So far (a little over a week) this has worked seamlessly to notify the HS4 server my wife and I are both leaving not just me, so that events can run differently based on that when I drive off. In my case that is all I needed as 95% of time it's only the two of us. IE - the house is actually empty if the passenger seat has an occupant.

I have not had a false trigger caused by something like the floor light coming on when it's dark and a door is opened. If I do in the future, I'm guessing putting the sensor at one end of about a 12 inch piece of gutter downspout under the seat would narrow it's field of vision enough to solve any false trigger issues. That said, I will probably trade it out for one that I can power off a car usb. I'm guessing constant movement on a long trip may drain the battery quickly, but that's true where I use them inside as well. With a USB only powered one I may run into trouble getting the message back to the server if it has to power up first.

Anyway, this works.

Comment

You can cut down on the power drain by altering the re-trigger and reporting (battery life, temp, etc) times on some motion sensors. This is viable in your use-case since you only care about the initial trigger when you get in the car, not any immediate subsequent motion that follows. This will greatly enhance the battery life.

Comment

Don’t know if this will work in your case, but we have an iBeacon in each car and motorcycle. If both of us are in one car, GeoFency sends that we are both within that iBeacon’s fence. The house is also a fence, where we can detect if either or both of us are home or if either or both are gone. This is dependent on our phones, but we always have them with us.

Comment

TC1 --- Great comment...hadn't crossed my mind yet !

Randy...I also use beacons in my vehicles. One set to monitor with my iPhone and a class one version (BP-109) that is monitored by HS4 entirely locally via mcsMQTT. The latter serves as my geofence as I come and go. My cell coverage is flaky. I can't depend on the one monitored with my iPhone to be able to report back when leaving and the system needs to know before that happens or the house would still be unlocked when out of view. I do use it as one of the safety precautions, as once I'm a few blocks away, or at some point on the trip it will report back to aid in securing arrival events. While my better half puts up with my trials and errors at automation, she is not an active participant and is not amused if say the lights turn off when I drive away and she's still home. Since my rule is that true automation happens without the need for me to do anything manually, and I'm one of probably a lot of people that live in a location that boarders cell coverage, this approach is my best option. I have newer mesh routers as well and yet even they won't stay connected.

Comment

Working...
                    X