Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Feit Electric Wi-Fi Smart Outdoor Plug ... work with HS3?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feit Electric Wi-Fi Smart Outdoor Plug ... work with HS3?

Anyone have these working with HS3?

https://www.costco.com/feit-electric...100515906.html

If you don't mind flashing it;

via MCSMQTT / Tasmota :

https://templates.blakadder.com/feit...G-WIFI-WP.html

Comment

You can start here: https://tasmota.github.io/docs/Getting-Started/
      and here: https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/li...mcsmqtt-plugin

Once flashed, you'll have the ability to control the unit via MQTT and it will communicate it's status via the same protocol;
      I use similar units for my temporary winter lighting.

Can be a bit intimidating at first glance and obviously depends on your technical skills but definitely worth it for the infinite customization options offered.
      And contrary to proprietary devices (Zwave, Zigbee, X10, etc.) you rarely hear complaints, because if something is not already implemented and does makes sense, just raise the flag to developers, it will be added in a matter of days, not years...

Once you are comfortable with the process, enabling a device like this takes 15-30 min, including flashing and HS config.

Cheers,

Comment

I got Tuya-Convert setup and running but the first step, SmartConfig, never finds seems to update the Feit with the intermediate firmware?

any ideas? thx!

Comment

Did you Connect your Cell phone to "vtrust-flash" SSID ?

Share screenshots to help pinpoint the issue.

​​​​​

Comment

Here run Tuya-Convert on my Linux laptop command line which connects to Gb Ethernet and has a built in wireless. It is plug n play and allows for use with Tasmota or Espurna firmware.

Via any Linux command line (Intel or ARM) you can do the following in terminal access:

1 - sudo su
            2 - git clone hxxps://github.com/ct-Open-Source/tuya-convert

T540P-0:/home/pete# git clone hxxps://github.com/ct-Open-Source/tuya-convert
            Cloning into 'tuya-convert'...
            remote: Enumerating objects: 1333, done.
            remote: Total 1333 (delta 0), reused 0 (delta 0), pack-reused 1333
            Receiving objects: 100% (1333/1333), 3.54 MiB | 9.87 MiB/s, done.
            Resolving deltas: 100% (834/834), done.
            root@ICS-IBM-T540P-0:/home/pete#

3 - cd tuya-convert

root@ICS-IBM-T540P-0:/home/pete# cd tuya-convert
            root@ICS-IBM-T540P-0:/home/pete/tuya-convert#

4 - ./install_prereq.sh

5 - wait a minute or two until the above is finished
            6 - ./start_flash.sh

READ This as it appears.

======================================================
            PLEASE READ THIS CAREFULLY!
            TUYA-CONVERT creates a fake update server environment for ESP8266/85 based tuya devices. It enables you to backup your devices firmware and upload an alternative one (e.g. ESPEasy, Tasmota, Espurna) without the need to open the device and solder a serial connection (OTA, Over-the-air).
            Please make sure that you understand the consequences of flashing an alternative firmware, since you might lose functionality!

Flashing an alternative firmware can cause unexpected device behavior and/or render the device unusable. Be aware that you do use this software at YOUR OWN RISK! Please acknowledge that VTRUST and c't Magazine (or Heise Medien GmbH & Co. KG) CAN NOT be held accountable for ANY DAMAGE or LOSS OF FUNCTIONALITY by typing yes + Enter

root@ICS-IBM-T540P-0:/home/pete/tuya-convert# ./start_flash.sh
            tuya-convert v2.4.4
            Checking for network interface wlp4s0... Found.
            Checking UDP port 53... Occupied by systemd-resolve with PID 1247.
            Port 53 is needed to resolve DNS queries
            Do you wish to terminate systemd-resolve? [y/N] y
            Attempting to stop systemd-resolved.service
            Checking UDP port 67... Available.
            Checking TCP port 80... Available.
            Checking TCP port 443... Available.
            Checking UDP port 6666... Available.
            Checking UDP port 6667... Available.
            Checking TCP port 1883... Occupied by mosquitto with PID 1350.
            Port 1883 is needed to run MQTT
            Do you wish to terminate mosquitto? [y/N] y
            Attempting to stop mosquitto.service
            Checking TCP port 8886... Available.
            Starting AP in a screen..
            Starting web server in a screen
            Starting Mosquitto in a screen
            Starting PSK frontend in a screen
            Starting Tuya Discovery in a screen

IMPORTANT
            1. Connect any other device (a smartphone or something) to the WIFI vtrust-flash
            This step is IMPORTANT otherwise the smartconfig may not work!
            2. Put your IoT device in autoconfig/smartconfig/pairing mode (LED will blink fast). This is usually done by pressing and holding the primary button of the device
            Make sure nothing else is plugged into your IoT device while attempting to flash.
            3. Press ENTER to continue

At this point using your smart phone connect to vtrust-flash.

This hit enter.

3. Press ENTER to continue

Starting smart config pairing procedure
            Waiting for the device to install the intermediate firmware
            Put device in EZ config mode (blinking fast)
            Sending SSID vtrust-flash
            Sending wifiPassword
            Sending token 00000000
            Sending secret 0101
            SmartConfig complete.
            Resending SmartConfig Packets
            SmartConfig complete.
            Resending SmartConfig Packets

From then on it is plugnplay. Just answer the questions relating to what firmware you want to use. It is built in to the directory.

This methodology worked great with the GoSund Switches and dimmers. It did not work with the newer combo FAN/Light switch that I purchased where I had to manually JTAG it. That said tried a new solderless pogo pin gizmo which worked great.

It is said that in the future the Tuya-convert may not work and you will need to go to a manual effort. So far I have only seen this with the new Tuya combo fan / switches.
            - Pete

Auto mator
            Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
            Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
            HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
            HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by 123qweasd View Post
              If you don't mind flashing it;

via MCSMQTT / Tasmota :

https://templates.blakadder.com/feit...G-WIFI-WP.html
              Did you actually get one of these flashed? I cant figure it out and on the Tuya-Convert they say its not ESP controller? The profile web page is now gone too!

Comment

say it's not ESP controller

take it apart and you will see the ESP controller inside.

Check out this video.

You can make a programming tool so you do not have to solder leads to JTAG.
                Historically here before using OTA used to solder wires to board. Tried the programming jig last week and it works well.

Command line steps via a TTL to USB stick and connections are the following.
                You can use any Linux computer. Here have Ubuntu Linux running on my laptops.
                An RPi works fine working it remotely via SSH.

Steps using ESPTool and command line in Linux. Note that flash is 2Mb in size.

1 - pip install esptool
                2 - backup firmware

esptool.py --port /dev/ttyUSB0 read_flash 0x00000 0x200000 image2M.bin

3 - download current version of tasmota.bin file
                hxxps://github.com/arendst/Tasmota/releases/download/v9.1.0/tasmota.bin

4 - erase flash

esptool.py --port /dev/ttyUSB0 erase_flash

5 - write flash

esptool.py --port /dev/ttyUSB0 write_flash -fs 2MB -fm dout 0x0 tasmota.bin

6 - unplug and power up board

7 - attach to Tasmota AP and configure Tasmota to your AP.
                - Pete

Auto mator
                Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Seems like newer units of this model are not compatible (see at the bottom)
                  ​​​​​https://templates.blakadder.com/feit...G_WIFI_WP.html

​​​

You'll have to look for another unit; not sure where you are located but this one should be easy to find in US and CAN

https://templates.blakadder.com/geen...W102-103S.html

Otherwise just search "outdoor plug" in the Tasmota Database, there are dozens available.

https://templates.blakadder.com/search.html

I would stay away from FEIT altogether as I also checked the latest wall switches they have on sale at Costco and they have the same issue where the controller has been changed.

Thx for the write-up Pete, however outdoor units are potentially sealed so OTA could be needed.

Comment

I think they just updated that page based on my wasted 4 hours (and logs I posted) :-(

Comment

Wow just looked for it and it is on sale locally at a big box store here for $13 USD and on Amazon for $17. Well and now cannot be JTAG'd or OTA updated.

Currently still using old Black and Decker X10 Freewire outdoor modules which have worked well for years. Use these for my Christmas decorations typically.

I like the X10 stuff for Christmas as I use one house code for all of the modules and RF remote to turn them all on at once standing in front of the house.

Found another documented outdoor wifi plug here and on Amazon for $12.99 USD.

SK03 Outdoor Smartplug

DigiblurDIY did a livestream showing this device, soldering and flashing process (split in two videos)
                      - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Pete
                        I just setup TuyaSmart app since I had a Jintu Tuya device (also not Tuya-Convert compatible it seems)... the Feit outlet added and control works using the TuyaSmart app!

So... if I can get CPS Tuya plugin working (I posted for help on that forum - seems like there is no user manual!) then this could be a way to use these in Homeseer.

Comment

Sounds like a good plan; however I believe these apps rely on the stock firmware which is cloud based and not as customizable as Tasmota.

but other than being dependant on internet/third party cloud software, i guess you should be fine for basic on/off features.

Comment

Good news!

Yes here too do not utilize any WiFi cloud apps. Only have around 12 WiFi devices online here and all are using Espurna or Tasmota firmware and MQTT.

Lighting here is primarily UPB.

Testing house #2 with only MQTT automation and security using Ring and WiFi devices. One by one converting light switches to WiFi. Works well with metal switch boxes.

Using Ruckus WAP's in the two houses.
                            - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Working...
                            X