Need a wireless wall switch that can control a wired wall switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need a wireless wall switch that can control a wired wall switch

I have a friend that just moved into a new home. He doesn't want to jump into automation (yet ) but needs a switch when he walks in from the garage that can turn on his kitchen lights. Currently there is no switch in the needed location so it will need to be a wireless/battery operated switch. Any one have a recommendation on a wireless switch that could "tie into/control" a replacement wall switch in the kitchen without the need for an automation engine.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

An Aeotec nanomote can be used to control a Z-Wave switch via association.
    HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
    54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
    Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

I have not used them but this device looks like this device will fill the requirements.
      Zwave = Z-Stick, 3xHSM100� 7xACT ZDM230, 1xEverspring SM103, 2xACT HomePro ZRP210.
      X10 = CM12U, 2xAM12, 1xAW10, 1 x TM13U, 1xMS13, 2xHR10, 2xSS13
      Other Hardware = ADI Ocelot + secu16, Global Cache GC100, RFXtrx433, 3 x Foscams.
      Plugings = RFXcom, ActiveBackup, Applied Digital Ocelot, BLDeviceMatrix, BLGarbage, BLLAN, Current Cost, Global Cache GC100,HSTouch Android, HSTouch Server, HSTouch Server Unlimited, NetCAM, PowerTrigger, SageWebcamXP, SqueezeBox, X10 CM11A/CM12U.
      Scripts =
      Various

Comment

Lutron Caseta with Pico Remotes, Can't beat it! I used them for Outside Light control where switch is in the garage, I have another on a Ceiling Fan in the Patio but the remote switch is in the L>R. I third controlling a 24v PS for some LED strip lights behind a crown molding. separate control switch wired but paired with a remote switch in Dining Room.
        High WAF and no gadgets or gimmicks, (there is a hub) if you want to automate sold separately or in kits but NOT a requirement for them to work.
        installation is so easy my Beagle could do it , if he had hands.🙌

Comment

+1 on the Lutron Caseta

Comment

1. +1 for Lutron, if there is Lutron in the house
            2. Philips Hue Remote if there is Hue
            3. Any switch with a Z-Wave Contact sensor (Aeotec is the best for the application, IMHO) if there is Z-Wave
            4. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07NY9SJDH...NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Comment

Does the Lutron Caseta require the smart bridge? He's not using HS (yet).

Comment

No, I am using one with the Pico remote, no bridge- this one. He'd need the wall bracket to mount the remote. https://www.amazon.com/Lutron-Wirele...07818972&psc=1

Comment

Originally posted by rmasonjr View Post
                  An Aeotec nanomote can be used to control a Z-Wave switch via association.
                  Sort of off topic, but can you explain to me how you associate an Aeotec remote with a Z-Wave switch or module without a controller? All of the Aeotec docs talk about pairing the remote to a controller.

Thanks,
                  Ken
                  "if I have seen further [than others], it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." --Sir Isaac Newton (1675)

Comment

Originally posted by kenm View Post

Sort of off topic, but can you explain to me how you associate an Aeotec remote with a Z-Wave switch or module without a controller? All of the Aeotec docs talk about pairing the remote to a controller.

Thanks,
                    Ken
                    The docs on the remote indicate a controller is not required:
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot.png
Views:	215
Size:	19.1 KB
ID:	1430984

That said, I'm not sure how that would take place without something to put the node id of the switch into the remote.
                    HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
                    54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
                    Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

Originally posted by rmasonjr View Post

The docs on the remote indicate a controller is not required:
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot.png
Views:	215
Size:	19.1 KB
ID:	1430984

That said, I'm not sure how that would take place without something to put the node id of the switch into the remote.
                      I sent an inquiry to Aeotec and they referred me here: https://aeotec.freshdesk.com/support...ad-user-guide-

Specifically to this paragraph:

The NanoMote Quad supports 9 association groups, all control buttons can activate the configured scenes via sending the Central Scene Notifications to primary controller/gateway (In association group 1). In order to use Association Groups, make sure that your gateway or software can allow you to set these (ie: Vera Group Association Setup), in order to do so, please refer to your gateways manual on setting group association. This will allow the NanoMote Quad to directly communicate ON/OFF or Dimming commands to your devices without going through your gateway.

So while it looks like the remote can work without a controller once setup, the initial setup still requires a controller with both devices connected to it.

Bummer. I have an old Aeotec MiniMote (out of production) that can act like a controller and can be setup standalone.

Ken
                      "if I have seen further [than others], it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." --Sir Isaac Newton (1675)

Comment

For any of you guys using the Caseta remote with the "housing" - how does that connect to the wall?

Comment

Another approach to this is with 433 MHz remote such as key fobs and a switch such as Sonoff RF that is mounted behind existing switch.

Comment

The zooz zen34 is a battery powered decora style switch with central scene capability. I installed one recently and so far so good.
                            -Wade

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
                              For any of you guys using the Caseta remote with the "housing" - how does that connect to the wall?
                              They sell a wall bracket that can be mounted to a wall with anchors or to an electrical box: https://www.amazon.com/Caseta-Wirele...JRJ4A9JA5K090D

Comment

Working...
                              X