X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sure:

This is the relay:
    https://www.reichelt.de/multifunktio...82176.html?r=1

-Programmed when power recieved on the relays the timer starts. After 10 minutes the outputs are " shorted". These outputs I connected on the motherboard of the computer "power-pins".
    -the computer is on the ups and shuts down when 10 minutes left on the UPS.
    -the relay is directly connected to the mains (not via UPS).

When power is restored, the relay-timer starts automatically. But the computer does not start up yet.

When the programmed time (10 minutes) is over, the second coil of the relays connects both pins of the power-on on the motherboard. Than the computer starts.

I hope I wrote it clear enough.

Cor

Comment

This thread has gone a bit off topic. But it is apparent that using HS as a security system is just too fraught with problems (power, software updates, plugin issues, networking etc.). It's just a really bad idea as there are too many things that can go worng....despite anecdotes.

​​​​​​
      Originally posted by joegr View Post

I have a similar arrangement using a small microcontroller and a transistor. The circuit is powered by a wall-wart plugged into a non-ups outlet. The microcontroller senses the 3.3V supply on the PC motherboard. if the circuit has power (from the wall-wart) and no voltage from the PC for more that ten minutes, it pulses the transistor that acts like pressing the power button on the PC. It will retry a few times if the PC voltage doesn't come up in a few seconds.
      This is interesting. I suggest we start a new thread on power/UPS managment. I am struggling to setup and test a good method of managing a UPS, Homeseer PC, NAS, networking switches, a couple of Raspberry Pis, and a security gateway. They have to boot in the right order and be able to handle various scenarios, e.g. complete power failure, power restore during UPS shutdown etc. I have yet to find a good reliable method of managing all this with out something not booting or getting the wrong IP address (despite static IPs).

iCore5 Win 10 Pro x64 SSD

HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435 Windows

BLOccupied:,Device History:,Yamaha:,UltraMon3:,mcsXap:,Restart:,UltraNetatmo3:, UltraM1G3:,Ultra1Wire3:,BLBackup:,Harmony Hub:,DoorBird:,UltraECM3:,Nanoleaf 3P:,UltraRachio3:,Z-Wave:,SDJ-Health:,BLGarbage:,Blue-Iris:,Chromecast:,Pushover 3P:,EasyTrigger:

Comment

Apologies to the OP. New thread started here: https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/ho...ups-management

Comment

All automation systems, including HomeSeer, are toys. They are very nice and capable toys, but they are not designed to provide the level of security that dedicated security systems will provide. That isn't their function. I have integrated my security system with HomeSeer, but it still functions as a stand-alone system. The same is true of my surveillance system. It resides on its own subnet and functions independently of all other systems.

That being said, most peoples security needs are psychological rather than practical. ADT and others have made a fortune selling burglar alarms to the segment of the population least likely to be burglarized. The same holds true for firearms manufacturers, but I won't go down that rabbit hole.

Burglars and thieves are opportunists. Your best option is to make your home less attractive than your neighbors home. For most people, a dog (even a small one) is better than any alarm system. Even fake cameras are a great deterrent.

Linked smoke alarms (wired or wireless) are a good choice.

Have fun with your automation system, but never rely on it as a life safety/critical security device.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex_W View Post
            All automation systems, including HomeSeer, are toys. They are very nice and capable toys, but they are not designed to provide the level of security that dedicated security systems will provide. That isn't their function. I have integrated my security system with HomeSeer, but it still functions as a stand-alone system. The same is true of my surveillance system. It resides on its own subnet and functions independently of all other systems.

That being said, most peoples security needs are psychological rather than practical. ADT and others have made a fortune selling burglar alarms to the segment of the population least likely to be burglarized. The same holds true for firearms manufacturers, but I won't go down that rabbit hole.

Burglars and thieves are opportunists. Your best option is to make your home less attractive than your neighbors home. For most people, a dog (even a small one) is better than any alarm system. Even fake cameras are a great deterrent.

Linked smoke alarms (wired or wireless) are a good choice.

Have fun with your automation system, but never rely on it as a life safety/critical security device.
            I more or less agree with you on this. For me, I consider what I do with HomeSeer when it comes to security to be more of an "Alert System" as opposed to an "alarm" or "security" system. Telling me that someone just drove up the driveway doesn't mean an alarm needs to be raised. With that being said, outside motion that turns on lights at night is part of the overall security of the property.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex_W View Post

100% agree. Home automation should only sit over top of each subsystem and provides integration and 'intelligence'. But each subsystem (security, surveillance, lighting, heating etc) needs to be able to function on its own without the integration. You should still be able to live in your house if Homeseer is down. You should be still be able to turn on the lights, arm the alarm, adjust the heating etc without HS.

This is also why cloud based systems have their downsides. Systems that rely on a network connection, or even worse are internet dependent, have an inherent weakness. I would never use a cloud based security system or fire detection system for example. Even wireless alarm systems are questionable to some degree. Hardwired local control more often than not is the most reliable.
              iCore5 Win 10 Pro x64 SSD

HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435 Windows

BLOccupied:,Device History:,Yamaha:,UltraMon3:,mcsXap:,Restart:,UltraNetatmo3:, UltraM1G3:,Ultra1Wire3:,BLBackup:,Harmony Hub:,DoorBird:,UltraECM3:,Nanoleaf 3P:,UltraRachio3:,Z-Wave:,SDJ-Health:,BLGarbage:,Blue-Iris:,Chromecast:,Pushover 3P:,EasyTrigger:

Comment

Working...
              X