Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Monitoring / Alerting Zwave device

Good day,

Long story short, the breaker tripped my refrigerator was on tripped while I was out of town for two weeks .... thank God my daughter went to my house and found it, unfortunately not before every spoiled and there was a dripping mess in the kitchen. She blessed me by spending over 2 hours cleaning up the mess.

My solution to monitor for tripped breakers:
    1. Installed two Zooz Z-Wave Plus Power Switch ZEN15, one for each refrigerator.
    2. Set up a recurring trigger to turn on the two ZEN15.
      1. Polling a Zwave device in HomeSeer does not set it in an unkown/error state if it fails, thus the reason to send an on command
    3. Set up trigger to alert via email, text and Google home to announce a refrigerator is ZEN15 is in an unknown or error state.
    4. Set up recurring trigger to alert via email and text every 15 minutes if a refrigerator is is in an unknown or error state.
    This seems to work well for my concern, hope it helps other with a similar concern.

You could also put a Z-Wave motion detector (with temperature sensor) inside the fridge. I used one for years to monitor the temperature. The RF made it out of the fridge reliably enough to monitor.
    HS4Pro Running on a Raspberry Pi4
    68 Z-Wave Nodes, 175 Events, 359 Devices
    UPB modules via OMNI plugin/panel
    Plugins: Z-Wave, OMNI, HSTouch, weatherXML, EasyTrigger
    HSTouch Clients: 3 Android, 1 Joggler

Comment

I like it.

I needed something to monitor power, if the refrigerator started to warm up it could be too late for someone to reset the breaker. My Internet is on UPS and this solution will tell me if power goes out to the house. Also, ideally, I could monitor - via power usage - if the door was left open; your suggestion would be better for monitoring if a door was left open and quite a bit faster - I love the idea.

Comment

CoyoteRay Excellent idea. I have a second fridge in a utility room on a GFCI and more than once the GFCI has been tripped.

BTW, they're a little cheaper at The Smartest House.

Ken

Comment

I too use a temperature sensor in the fridge / freezer compartments. I have an upright freezer which had it's cooling components freeze over several times and the internal temperature began to increase. Power monitoring would not have caught that as the unit was still running.

Comment

What if you get a z-wave outlet that monitors usage and setup a event to notify you if the volts drop.

Jim

Comment

jbfoster My concern was the power going out - breaker tripped or power out to the house. If the volts drop there is no power to the device and polling it does not update the reading. My Internet and network stack is on UPS; if power goes out my HomeSeer server still have power and can sent a notification.

Comment

Personally I would connect a Tasmota based MQTT device to the same circuit, the loss of connection would trigger the Last Will and Testament trigger in MQTT. That solution could be under $10.

Comment

mterry63 Everything I read indicated an inexpressive smart plug would die under the load of a refrigerator and an appliance rated plug should be used. That said, after looking at the stats, an inexpressive smart plug would work for at least the garage refrigerator. It is smaller than the one in the house and is rated as a garage refrigerator which have more insulation and uses far less energy even when running.

Also, I did not want something in between HomeSeer and the monitored outlets, 1 failure would cost 400+ times the cost of the Zwave smart outlet. I use inexpressive smart plugs for other things and they work great 99% of the time.

Comment

I'm not suggesting that the smart plug control the current to the refrigerator, just that it be on the same power circuit. All it has to do is be "alive" and reachable by MQTT. It doesn't need to pass through the current to the refrigerator.

Comment

Good idea and cheaper - great thinking

Comment

Working...
                      X