Garage Door sensor to monitor opening and close of the garage door

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Garage Door sensor to monitor opening and close of the garage door

I'm looking for a Garage Door sensor that can detect if the garage door is open or closed. My wish list, it can be powered via 110V, z-wave is ok but also looking for other alternative not difficult to implement.

I ended up going with a simple door/window sensor mounted to the door and rail. It works fine for simple open/close, but I cant tell if it is partly opened (for pets) so I'm looking for some way to detect a partial open.
    HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
    54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
    Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

I installed these and have them wired to Sonoff SV modules monitored using mcsMQTT. They could also be wired into a Z-wave module if you prefer that. Many of the Z-Wave "Tilt" sensors also have an option to hard-wire a reed switch to a fixed-mounted module.

EDIT: rmasonjr - I actually use a combination of the reed switch on the bottom to the Sonoff SV and a Z-Wave Tilt sensor. The reed switch indicates "Not Closed" and the "Tilt" sensor on the bottom door segment says "Fully Open". I use the reed switch state for security and the Tilt sensor for turning on the overhead lights.
      "if I have seen further [than others], it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." --Sir Isaac Newton (1675)

Comment

[QUOTE=kenm;n1432633]I installed these and have them wired to Sonoff SV modules monitored using mcsMQTT. They could also be wired into a Z-wave module if you prefer that. Many of the Z-Wave "Tilt" sensors also have an option to hard-wire a reed switch to a fixed-mounted module.

Thanks KenM, very much appreciated. To be honest, the garage door has been most of my challenging projects. Currently I have the device that you have recommended with Insteon IO and Keypad, not sure you are familiar with those. The input value of the I/O linc connected to this sensor, often times gives me wrong values, it tells me that the garage is close when is open so no trustworthy. I'm thinking of using your sonooff SV module and mcsMQTT although not very familiar with those. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

1 - Relating to using two wired contacts to the Omni pro panel to garage door you can do a partially open GD. One contact is wire for GD open and one for closed. If both sensors are open then GD is partially open.

2 - Also tinkering here with Michaels MCS GDO Tasmota documented device which also has two sensors for door position, temperature sensor and button. This device is wireless with three analog input wired sensors and one relay output.

3 - New now tinkering with same methodology using Ring Alarm and 2 wireless sensors on GD and a Ring to MQTT pluging.
          - Pete

Auto mator
          Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb

HS4 Pro - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
          HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Thank you Pete.
            kenm, what Sonoff SV modules are you using, would like to test one of those. Amazon has so many of them....

Comment

I am using a hardware modded Sonoff Basic R1. I cut the board so it wouldn't pass 120vac.

There is documentation on the internet on how to remove 120vac switching on a Sonoff Basic R2.

Way long time ago purchased a Sonoff SV for Kitchen under cabinet 12 vdc switching and it burned up on me after a couple of weeks.

MCS MQTT documentation shows how to build one from a Sonoff basic. Mine has run for over a year now.

Michael has recently updated GDO Tasmota firmware to current.
              - Pete

Auto mator
              Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Via a VPN to home connection you can open and close your door going to the Tasmota web GUI.
                - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Originally posted by alphatech View Post
                  Thank you Pete.
                  kenm, what Sonoff SV modules are you using, would like to test one of those. Amazon has so many of them....
                  As far as I know, there's only one Sonoff SV module, Ver 1.0. At least that's what all of mine say, They vary in price on Amazon depending on how many the seller purchased at once and what they think they can get for them. On Amazon, $12-13/each is the going rate. Single modules on USA Banggood are $9.99 and you can get a 3 pack for $19.94. They're in NJ so shipping for you should only be a couple of days. For me, it's a week to 10 days from NJ.

You'll also need a USB flash programmer and some headers and leads to connect it to the programmer. There's a number of YouTube videos on doing the Tasmota firmware flashing.
                  "if I have seen further [than others], it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." --Sir Isaac Newton (1675)

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
                    Via a VPN to home connection you can open and close your door going to the Tasmota web GUI.
                    I created my own controls using Jon00's webpage builder. The buttons run events that call mcsMQTT to send messages to pulse the garage door relays. This is more for control vs. monitoring though.

Also, my Liftmaster 8300's don't like their control input shorted with a relay, so I wired the relays across the buttons on a wireless remote and use the relays to simulate remote button presses.

Comment

Yes had to do the same here for my new GDO.

Here are some pictures. Note for the 1-Wire temperature sensor went to using a cabled DS18B20 sensor.

The underside wiring was for GPIO 4 or 14. Used GPIOs 1,3,4 and 14.

Click image for larger version  Name:	sonoff0.jpg Views:	0 Size:	214.4 KB ID:	1433841

Click image for larger version  Name:	doorbellbutton.jpg Views:	0 Size:	145.4 KB ID:	1433842
                      - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Am I missing something in the list of your needs or would this work?
                        https://www.amazon.com/Z-Wave-Plated...5495861&sr=8-1

I have the exact sensor and it works great. I replaced the battery this summer because after almost 3 years I thought I should change it before winter.
                        Dan-O
                        HomeSeer contributor since summer 1999, yes 1999!

Comment

I have the same tilt switch and it does work great, my problem is it sleeps and the only way to wake is open/closing the GD.

I have an Event that shuts the GD if opened at sundown but it can't get a status if the GD has been opened for even a few minutes.

Any thoughts on how to solve this dilemma?

Comment

Why couldn't you use the device's status to monitor if the door is open or closed? My device only changes status if the door opens or closes.
                            I must be missing what you mean?
                            Dan-O
                            HomeSeer contributor since summer 1999, yes 1999!

Comment

Originally posted by DGB View Post
                              ...Any thoughts on how to solve this dilemma?
                              I agree with Dan-O. The status should be either opened or closed. I have an event that makes a WD200 indicator light blink red if the door is open after sunset. It works no matter how long the door has been open. If the door is open during daylight hours the light is solid red. After sunset it changes to blinking red if it is open. Same basic event, I just change a parameter instead of closing the door. If the time is sunset and if the door is open, do X.

Are you doing something where the "Do not update device last change time if device value does not change: " parameter could come into play?

Please describe your event in detail.

Comment

Working...
                              X