Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just Starting - Newbie

Hello all,

I have been lurking on this very helpful board for some time, reading all the useful information and now it is time to ask some questions.........

Situation
    Building a two storey house in Ireland (220V 50 Hz)and want to automate as many functions as possible., lights appliances, outside lights, weather information etc

Questions

Will all the X10 devices have to 2way? If not how will Homeseer know the correct status of the unit if someone turns on/off light at switch.??

Is there a correct way to have 2 way switching( for stairs) using X10???

In Ireland, before the electricity company connects you to the local grid, they (rightly) insist on a number of electrical insulation tests on the house wiring. If X10 modules are used, the tests will likely fail. Has anyone come across this issue before???

Hope you can answer some of my questions

Regards

slayer

Hi Slayer,
    My house is full of X-10 stuff, most of which is NOT 2-way, and it all works pretty well (of course you need a good coupler/repeater, and probably some noise filters with some TVs and surge protectors)

Having had much of this stuff for many years and having used it with automation software from about day 1, I can say having exact status of all lights in my HA program has not been as important to me as I thought it would be. Much of the time, the computer is running most of the lighting anyways, and so what if I send an "OFF" command to a light that's already off.

My idea of good automation, is where I don't have to go push buttons to get things done, the software works with me, via sensors, timers, etc. to accomplish most of what I need automatically, so I don't spend a lot of time at a touch-screen or console noticing that it's showing a particular light as off when it's actually on.

So, with careful attention, X-10 has worked well for me. However, if I were starting over at this point I would take a close look at newer PLC and non-PLC alternatives like UBP or Z-Wave even it they may be a bit more expensive. And if you do go with X-10, I would suggest going with Leviton or PCS devices if available there. I know I got real tired of replacing the X-10 branded stuff annually.

As far as passing the electrical tests, I really can't imagine why the X-10 stuff would be a problem. Isn't it tested and approved for use in Ireland? I mean, if it wouldn't pass their tests, maybe you don't want it!

HTH.

Comment

Welcome

Slayer,

Firstly welcome to the board and HS, I hope you have very deep pockets as soon as you start automating you will want to do more and more and more!!! You are in a very envious position building your house from scratch, would love to plan all my automation from drawings and not have to retro fit.

I have been using HS for about 6 months now and only have one device that supports status responce, so far all my devices report the correct status, but this could be because all my switches are wireless and send the device on or off code.

In Ireland, before the electricity company connects you to the local grid, they (rightly) insist on a number of electrical insulation tests on the house wiring. If X10 modules are used, the tests will likely fail. Has anyone come across this issue before???
      If you use the DIN rail modules LD11's for lights and AD10's for appliance these are both CE approved and your inspector should not have a problem, you would have to use momentart switches for these. I think that the LD11 and AD10 have status responce but perhaps if someone here uses them they will correct me.

I'm shortly going to install LWM1's for my lights as this means I only have to change the wiring at the ceiling rose an install a momentary switch and do not have to run any wires, these are a bit pricey so will be doing them a couple at a time. These do have status reponse and do as I said alow for easy retro fit. Worst case get your electrician to wire normally and then go and install these after the inspector has been!!!!

Is there a correct way to have 2 way switching( for stairs) using X10???
      Good question, these confused me when wiring them normally let alone with X10, but I'm hopeful that the LWM1 will do the trick.

I would think it has to be worth while giving the electricity company a quick call to confirm that they will accept a device if it is CE approved can't see why not?
      Lance

Comment

Hi Slayer,

I think most of your questions have been answered in the above two answers.

I was tempted to suggest wiring your house as standard bearing in mind you are going to install X10, get it passed by the electricity board, then fit X10 and forget to mention it, either that or perhaps a create of Guiness and a touch of the blarney! But, being the upstanding citizen I am I would never suggest something like that.

On a seriouse note. The easiest way I have found for 2 way control of lights if to use RF switches which transmit back to HS who then controls the operation.

Welcome to the board, and the world of "Home Automation" (It should carry a health warning!")
        Last edited by Gogs; November 30, 2004, 06:00 PM.
        sigpic
        A founder member of "The HA Pioneer Group" otherwise known as the "Old farts club!"

Comment

Working...
        X