Ringing Crosstalk triggers CID

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ringing Crosstalk triggers CID

I recently setup a second phone line with a NetCID on each line. I have both lines on a 4 wire phone line from my KSU switch over to my HS computer. The distance is about 20 feet.

When Line 1 rings all is fine. When line 2 rings then NetCID 2 returns the correct CID info but after 4 rings NetCID 1 returns a CID string with no number and "Unknown Caller"

I have run tests that removed all other wireing issues except for the 20 ft of 4 conductor wire. So is it common for ring voltage to bleed over between wires - enough to trigger CID ?

I plan on running a test with a run of Cat 5 tonight to see if that clears it up. Just wanted you guys opinions if the crossover signals make sense.
    Bruce

"The universal answer is 42."

The 90 VAC ringing signal could well couple between parallel wires, but not enough current to trigger the ringer in the affected line. The CID modem tones are only a volt or so, and I'd be surprised if this would couple at all. I suppose that harmonics of the ringer frequency (it's quite low) could fake the CID modem tone detector. Seems unlikely.

You could test - take line 1 off hook and dial 1. Then call line 2 from your cell phone and listen to line 1's dead line and see what you hear at the CID time - between the 1st and 2nd ring. The flaw in this is that you are off-hook on line 1 which reduces the line impedance. So if you have a butt set (phone test set) use it in the monitor mode; an equivalent is a plain phone coupled to the phone line with a 0.1uF capacitor.

Of course, physically isolating line 1 and 2 wiring is the acid test.
    Last edited by Stevech; December 1, 2004, 12:06 AM.

Comment

Well I moved both lines to a Cat 5 and still got CID triggered on both NetCIDs. So I left one line on the Cat 5 and put the 2nd line back to the 4 conductor wire. No more CID triggers on line 1 when line 2 rings.

Thanks Stevech for the info. I knew it didn't make sense but it sure was happening.
      Bruce

"The universal answer is 42."

Comment

hmmm. I'm surprised that the CID device is false triggered by the ringing current. Seems like the gibberish would somehow be detected as such and rejected by the CID device. Maybe newer/better CID devices don't do this - since lots of people have CID capable telephone sets and multiple lines.

Comment

Working...
        X