Wall tablet power solution needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wall tablet power solution needed

Hey all... this has been posted in similar threads, but wanted to keep this separate as my setup is existing and needs to be retrofitted to work IF Possible.

I have 3 tablets mounted to the wall ... i use 8" lenovos (refurbed for < $100) that have worked great for me. I power them via a recessed outlet that has USB ports to minimize the space needed behind the tablet.

They stick to the wall with 3M velcro, and then are covered with frames i've made that basically (via foam on the inside borders of the frame) pressure fit and stay on the tablet.

This solution has worked great for years and looks really professional close up. the only issue has been when i need to swap tablets i need to make/find new frames.

The issue (no surprise to some of you) is that these are powered full time, and thus, my batteries are swelling. I've been able to order new batteries for these tablets, and surprisingly it's a pretty easy repair. But that aside, i'd like to figure out a way to solve this for the future, without going through a bunch of rewiring, new devices, etc.

So assume i CAN'T get POE to the wall, and i DON'T want to replace the tablets, etc.

What i'd like to do is maybe use Zwave outlets to power the device, and then just have an event that turns power off to the outlet at night for xx hours, allowing the tablet to run on battery (no sleep mode)... then come back on.

But i have limited space in that recessed outlet, and would either need to find a zwave outlet that also has USB ports that are controllable, OR a very small USB plug that would fit in that enclosure and not stick out past the plane of the wall (again, i have the tablet stuck to the wall).

Other ideas/thoughts welcome. Pictures to help make sense of my setup.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20201114_122028.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	1433415Click image for larger version

Name:	20201114_122119.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	1433416

Since nothing else will be plugged in, this low-depth USB plug should work for you:

https://www.amazon.com/Nekmit-Ultra-...95685644&psc=1

Comment

That is a really good question, and I think I want to do the same.

I have a similar setup, and I may order one of these: https://www.amazon.com/Enbrighten-Re...5387195&sr=8-5 to see if it will fit in my wall recess.

I'm not at home right now to try this, but I believe you could use the [$BATTERY] function in HSTouch to trigger when the outlet turns on instead of using a basic timer. I used it in this post.

I'll try it when I get home.

Comment

Originally posted by TC1 View Post
        Since nothing else will be plugged in, this low-depth USB plug should work for you:

https://www.amazon.com/Nekmit-Ultra-...95685644&psc=1
        Oh... good find. My amazon search skills are not working apparently. "small" got me nothing. "thin" is key :-)

Comment

Happy to help. Appreciate you showing your wall setup, I always like seeing what others thought up to inspire me for my own solution when I eventually tackle this.

Comment

Two thoughts: 1) You could wire a switch in series with the outlet and control the outlet you have.
            2) I've been using FireHD tablets for years. They are on 24/7 like yours and I have not seen any evidence of swelling since switching to them. (Your frame may be part of the problem. It looks like it is restricting air flow that could cool the tablets.)
            Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
            HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

How about a Shelly1 ($) or Aeotec nano ($$$) behind your existing outlet?
              -Wade

Comment

Originally posted by cc4005 View Post
                How about a Shelly1 ($) or Aeotec nano ($$$) behind your existing outlet?
                oh...clever idea so i can power the USB ports. Nano about same cost as the zwave outlet anyway... but a better solution.

Shelly has similar? i'd have to flash it and run another PI, right?

@unclemichael, i have several FIre tablets on tables, and all work fine, but i'd have to redo my frames again to fit them (although your frame thought is also a good one).

Comment

Any chance you could add some vent holes to your frame?
                  Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
                  HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Michael View Post
                    Any chance you could add some vent holes to your frame?
                    maybe... i run a ribbon of foam around the frame where it meets the wall to hide any gap... which of course also limits airflow might be able to cut channels in that.

Comment

Another question.. since these are running on power full time anyway... anyone know if you can just unhook the battery and plug it in to run?

Comment

After you get this all figured out, you might also consider killing the power when no one is home. I automatically terminate HS Touch, and shut off power to the tablets when leaving, and turn on power and restart HS Touch when someone comes home.

Comment

Originally posted by aa6vh View Post
                          After you get this all figured out, you might also consider killing the power when no one is home. I automatically terminate HS Touch, and shut off power to the tablets when leaving, and turn on power and restart HS Touch when someone comes home.
                          How do you automatically turn on the power to the tablets? Once they are completely off, don't they need to be turned on manually?

Comment

I concur that heat build up may be the problem. I have three tablets mounted so that air can circulate around them. They have been in place for several years and I've had no issues. I have had batteries swell in phones that are kept in bases.

Comment

Originally posted by Tomgru View Post

How do you automatically turn on the power to the tablets? Once they are completely off, don't they need to be turned on manually?
                              I only turn the tablets off off (completely off) when going on vacation. Otherwise, just simply off (or in other words, just screen off). The Android OS is still running.

I use Tasker to detect when the power is restored. Tasker then turns on the screen, and starts the HS Touch application.

Comment

Working...
                              X