Zigbee changing to "Chip" ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Zigbee changing to "Chip" ?

I was just about to dip my toes into Zigbee, when I came across articles telling me it is all about to change to "Connected Home over IP" (CHIP). Does anybody have any idea what this means for a HS4 user with a Conbee II and the HS4 Zigbee plug ins ? I haven't purchased any of them yet, but I am used to getting a bit more use out of equipment before it becomes obsolete

See https://www.connectedhomeip.com/ for preliminary details.
    Win 11 Pro | HS4 Pro | Z wave plug in with UZB1 | BLUSBUIRT 2.0.11.0 | RFXtrx433 | Blue Iris CCTV | VU+ 4k with motorised dish | Emby | Hi-Phone HS2 | ESP32 with WLED |

"When will the specification be available?

To quicken development, the Project intends to start with components of market-tested technologies, modified as needed. The Working Group has a goal to release a draft specification and a preliminary reference open source implementation in late 2020."

Based on that statement above, don't expect to see consumer products for at least 1+ years.

Does anybody have any idea what this means for a HS4 user with a Conbee II and the HS4 Zigbee plug ins ? I haven't purchased any of them yet, but I am used to getting a bit more use out of equipment before it becomes obsolete
    I think you're a bit confused. The free HS4 Zigbee plugin does support the ConBee2 Zigbee gateway. IMO and experience, the HS4 plugin is a waste of time since development on it is slow and sporadic. If you really want to get the most use out of the widest array of low-cost Zigbee devices and sensors, then an investment in the JowiHue plugin and a ConBee2 will yield the greatest results/payback.

And if a new protocol comes out in a year or two, why do you think your investment in ZigBee devices will become obsolete? They will still work and function.

Comment

Originally posted by TC1 View Post
      [The free HS4 Zigbee plugin does support the ConBee2 Zigbee gateway.
      Do we know this? At one time, the Nortek and [some other device, don't remember which] were listed on the website. Now, only the Nortek remains. Cite.

IMO and experience, the HS4 plugin is a waste of time since development on it is slow and sporadic. If you really want to get the most use out of the widest array of low-cost Zigbee devices and sensors, then an investment in the JowiHue plugin and a ConBee2 will yield the greatest results/payback.
      Agree Completely, and the list of compatible devices for the plugin is (and has been for some time) a dead link (404) Cite.

HomeSeer Version: HS4 Pro Edition 4.2.19.0 (Windows - Running as a Service)
      Home Assistant 2024.3
      Operating System: Microsoft Windows 11 Pro - Desktop
      Z-Wave Devices via two Z-Net G3s
      Zigbee Devices via RaspBee on RPi 3b+
      WiFi Devices via Internal Router.

Enabled Plug-Ins
      AK GoogleCalendar 4.0.4.16,AK HomeAssistant 4.0.1.23,AK SmartDevice 4.0.5.1,AK Weather 4.0.5.181,AmbientWeather 3.0.1.9,Big6 3.44.0.0,BLBackup 2.0.64.0,BLGData 3.0.55.0,BLLock 3.0.39.0,BLUPS 2.0.26.0,Device History 4.5.1.1,EasyTrigger 3.0.0.76,Harmony Hub 4.0.14.0,HSBuddy 4.51.303.0,JowiHue 4.1.4.0,LG ThinQ 4.0.26.0,ONVIF Events 1.0.0.5,SDJ-Health 3.1.1.9,TPLinkSmartHome4 2022.12.30.0,UltraCID3 3.0.6681.34300,Z-Wave 4.1.3.0

Comment

Originally posted by ewkearns View Post

Do we know this? At one time, the Nortek and [some other device, don't remember which] were listed on the website. Now, only the Nortek remains. Cite.

The ConBee2 was never listed. Not sure why one would want to chance using it when it's not even listed. Besides, the ConBee2 developers are constantly updating the firmware to accommodate addditional devices and correct bugs, sometimes modifying API calls to the gateway. There is no way in hell HST would be able to keep up, which means their plugin would constantly break. The JowiHue plugin author stays on top of all ConBee2 changes.

Comment

I think you're a bit confused. The free HS4 Zigbee plugin does support the ConBee2 Zigbee gateway. IMO and experience, the HS4 plugin is a waste of time since development on it is slow and sporadic. If you really want to get the most use out of the widest array of low-cost Zigbee devices and sensors, then an investment in the JowiHue plugin and a ConBee2 will yield the greatest results/payback.

And if a new protocol comes out in a year or two, why do you think your investment in ZigBee devices will become obsolete? They will still work and function.
          No, not confused (yet - see below). I stated "the HS4 Zigbee plug ins" meaning all of them. I have lived through X10, Bye Bye Standby and Z-wave so far, and didn't want to start purchasing Zigbee equipment right at the stage where it might become obsolete or incompatible with CHIP. The purpose of this thread is to find out what you guys know !

If I should wait another year for CHIP, then so be it (Unless it would also work with the Conbee II), but existing Zigbee is certainly tempting price wise with the Conbee II/ JowiHue combination.

The companies named in the link in my original post (IKEA, Legrand, NXP Semiconductors, Resideo, Samsung SmartThings, Schneider Electric, Signify [formerly Philips Lighting], Silicon Labs, Somfy, and Wulian) seem to cover a lot of existing Zigbee suppliers, which is why I am concerned that it could mean the end of normal Zigbee. Now that is where my confusion starts, and hopefully this thread can enlighten me.
          Win 11 Pro | HS4 Pro | Z wave plug in with UZB1 | BLUSBUIRT 2.0.11.0 | RFXtrx433 | Blue Iris CCTV | VU+ 4k with motorised dish | Emby | Hi-Phone HS2 | ESP32 with WLED |

Comment

I see no problem purchasing hardware that currently works. Even if they stop manufacturing it tomorrow; I still have a system that works, and will likely work for years. If I need to expand then I'll pick a new technology and use them side by side. When the old components stop working I'll replace them with the new technology. zigbee isn't a cloud based hub that the provider can simply turn off bricking your system.

The main argument against the above would be if 1) you only want a single technology. I fully get that, I'm a huge believer in KISS; the more moving parts and the more technologies you have the more likely you are to have to trouble shoot/support the system. 2) having all devices look alike is important. I get that too; when I picked zwave as my primary technology I looked at insteon, zigbee, etc devices and found the zwave switches as the closest fit to my aesthetic tastes. A consistent user experience is important to me.

HS4 Pro on Shuttle NC10U, Win10; Z-NET
            Number of Devices: 1005
            Number of Events: 293

Plug-Ins: BLLock, DirecTv, EasyTrigger, Honeywell WiFi Thermostat, Marquis monoprice Amp, MeiHarmonyHub, PHLocation2, Pushover 3P, UltraM1G3, rnbWeather, Worx Landroid, Z-Wave

External applications: Homebridge-homeseer, Geofency, EgiGeoZone.

Comment

Originally posted by Traction Tim View Post

The companies named in the link in my original post (IKEA, Legrand, NXP Semiconductors, Resideo, Samsung SmartThings, Schneider Electric, Signify [formerly Philips Lighting], Silicon Labs, Somfy, and Wulian) seem to cover a lot of existing Zigbee suppliers, which is why I am concerned that it could mean the end of normal Zigbee. Now that is where my confusion starts, and hopefully this thread can enlighten me.
              Ok, did you know that Silicon Labs is the inventor of both Z-wave and Zigbee (they bought the company that originally developed ZB) and is the largest manufacturer of integrated circuits of both protocols? Almost all the Z-wave and Zigbee devices in the world contain Silicon Labs chips in them. While they may be hedging their bets by getting involved in the CHIP initiative, they are not going to just kill their current revenue stream derived from both Z-wave and Zigbee.

Comment

Ok, did you know that Silicon Labs is the inventor of both Z-wave and Zigbee (they bought the company that originally developed ZB) and is the largest manufacturer of integrated circuits of both protocols? Almost all the Z-wave and Zigbee devices in the world contain Silicon Labs chips in them. While they may be hedging their bets by getting involved in the CHIP initiative, they are not going to just kill their current revenue stream derived from both Z-wave and Zigbee.
                Learned something new today

Comment

And..... "Silicon Labs is going to start letting other companies make Z-Wave radios."

"Even the Z-Wave Alliance — an apparent standards body, which seems to mostly be in charge of certifying device compatibility — will be spun out into a fully independent organization in charge of developing Z-Wave, rather than existing as part of Silicon Labs."

I have no idea where this is going....

Cite.
                  Home Assistant 2024.3

Enabled Plug-Ins
                  AK GoogleCalendar 4.0.4.16,AK HomeAssistant 4.0.1.23,AK SmartDevice 4.0.5.1,AK Weather 4.0.5.181,AmbientWeather 3.0.1.9,Big6 3.44.0.0,BLBackup 2.0.64.0,BLGData 3.0.55.0,BLLock 3.0.39.0,BLUPS 2.0.26.0,Device History 4.5.1.1,EasyTrigger 3.0.0.76,Harmony Hub 4.0.14.0,HSBuddy 4.51.303.0,JowiHue 4.1.4.0,LG ThinQ 4.0.26.0,ONVIF Events 1.0.0.5,SDJ-Health 3.1.1.9,TPLinkSmartHome4 2022.12.30.0,UltraCID3 3.0.6681.34300,Z-Wave 4.1.3.0

Comment

Originally posted by ewkearns View Post
                    And..... "Silicon Labs is going to start letting other companies make Z-Wave radios."

"Even the Z-Wave Alliance — an apparent standards body, which seems to mostly be in charge of certifying device compatibility — will be spun out into a fully independent organization in charge of developing Z-Wave, rather than existing as part of Silicon Labs."

I have no idea where this is going....

Cite.
                    It's apparently all part of Silicon Lab's master plan to take over the world. I've just finished wrapping all my zwave devices in tin foil so I'm safe!
                    HS4 Pro on Shuttle NC10U, Win10; Z-NET
                    Number of Devices: 1005
                    Number of Events: 293

Plug-Ins: BLLock, DirecTv, EasyTrigger, Honeywell WiFi Thermostat, Marquis monoprice Amp, MeiHarmonyHub, PHLocation2, Pushover 3P, UltraM1G3, rnbWeather, Worx Landroid, Z-Wave

External applications: Homebridge-homeseer, Geofency, EgiGeoZone.

Comment

Originally posted by jmaddox View Post

It's apparently all part of Silicon Lab's master plan to take over the world. I've just finished wrapping all my zwave devices in tin foil so I'm safe!
                      Next, try doing a network optimize

Comment

Originally posted by jmaddox View Post

Funny.

Though my post, contrarily, would seem to suggest a loosening of the reins. How much money has the readership spent in tribute to Silicon Labs' for that really cool non-functional logo on the side of the Z-Wave device? Personally, I've been moving away from Z-Wave and my experience could not be better.
                        Home Assistant 2024.3

Enabled Plug-Ins

Comment

Working...
                        X