Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ZWave Plus duplex wall outlet. Why are they not popular?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ZWave Plus duplex wall outlet. Why are they not popular?

Homeseer has some excellent ZWave wall switches and I am wondering why they do now sell any in-wall duplex outlets? They seem to be hard to find. Is there some reason Zwave outlets are not popular? Does anyone have a recommendation on a good quality product. I have been using GE and just had one go bad. I had a lot of non-Homeseer wall switches go bad until I started standardizing on Homeseer products only.

I installed z-wave duplex outlets when I first started home automation. They have been rock solid. My only complaint is they have lead wires and take up alot of room in the box. No failures in 5 years. That said I would probably go with GE/Jasco or Leviton ZW15R-1BW if I were to do any more outlets. I have had switches from jasco, evolve and homeseer (WS-100 and WD-100) all fail. In all about 10 switches have failed for me. I have settled on GE Embrighten - the newest switch. They have been solid so far and I have had them in about 1 year. I also installed surge protection at every panel (main + 3 sub-panels) confirmed all sub-panels do not have bridged ground and neutral. Surge was a problem for me as most of the failures have happened on switches installed prior to the surge protection. I also have changed all of my incandescent/CFL bulbs to LED. Startup power draw is minimized and this has also helped. I have found and repaired 8 mounted lights that had their ground wire cut or not installed - All courtesy of the builders electricians 15 years ago.

I also think the reason z-wave duplex outlets are less popular is it is too easy to plug in a z-wave module into a normal outlet without rewiring. I have considered them but they look like wall warts and not fond of that look.

Comment

Maybe the OP means duplex outlets where both outlets can be controlled via z-wave. I actually haven't seen any that can do that. All the ones I saw have on constantly on and the other one can be controlled via z-wave.

Comment

Originally posted by mulu View Post
        Maybe the OP means duplex outlets where both outlets can be controlled via z-wave. I actually haven't seen any that can do that. All the ones I saw have on constantly on and the other one can be controlled via z-wave.
        That's what i thought he meant.

If you want to control both, you could go back to a standard outlet and then put an Aeotec Nano Switch behind it .

Comment

But you would need two if you want to control them independently, assuming each outlet has it's own line connection. Or if you don't need independent control then you can just use one of those multi plugs that you stick right into the plug. Doesn't look that good, though.

Comment

I have several different brands installed. Use them to control Glade Plug-Ins around the house. GE, Leviton and I think TP-Link. Never had a problem with one yet. I buy the cheapest I can find. Well, I did. If I buy any more they will be Leviton as it does not have an always-on power light. ....or it has one that can be controlled.

Comment

Originally posted by mulu View Post
              But you would need two if you want to control them independently, assuming each outlet has it's own line connection. Or if you don't need independent control then you can just use one of those multi plugs that you stick right into the plug. Doesn't look that good, though.
              Not unless i'm reading this wrong

"Twice the control.
              Dual Nano Switch.

Look around your home. Some lights have more than one switch. Some power outlets have more than one socket. For double gang outlets and switches, there’s Dual Nano Switch. Wire it into two switches or sockets for twice the control, twice the energy monitoring, and control of up to 5 amps / 1150 watts per switch channel."

https://aeotec.com/z-wave-outlet-socket/

Comment

Oh, I didn't know that this exists. Ok, then, only one dual nano switch required.

Comment

Thanks everyone.

Comment

This may not be practical for many situations but you could wire a switch or even two switches to control the outlet. There are three options this way. 1 control one half of the duplex outlet with a switch and leave half powered all the time. Control both outlets from from a single switch or use two switches to control both outlets independently. This does require the skill to tie into old work and meet current codes in your area. Along this same vane you could change the single gang box for a double gang and put two Z-Wave outlets in. Same caveat as switches.

Comment

Originally posted by AllHailJ View Post
                      I installed z-wave duplex outlets when I first started home automation. They have been rock solid. My only complaint is they have lead wires and take up alot of room in the box. No failures in 5 years. That said I would probably go with GE/Jasco or Leviton ZW15R-1BW if I were to do any more outlets. I have had switches from jasco, evolve and homeseer (WS-100 and WD-100) all fail. In all about 10 switches have failed for me. I have settled on GE Embrighten - the newest switch. They have been solid so far and I have had them in about 1 year. I also installed surge protection at every panel (main + 3 sub-panels) confirmed all sub-panels do not have bridged ground and neutral. Surge was a problem for me as most of the failures have happened on switches installed prior to the surge protection. I also have changed all of my incandescent/CFL bulbs to LED. Startup power draw is minimized and this has also helped. I have found and repaired 8 mounted lights that had their ground wire cut or not installed - All courtesy of the builders electricians 15 years ago.

I also think the reason z-wave duplex outlets are less popular is it is too easy to plug in a z-wave module into a normal outlet without rewiring. I have considered them but they look like wall warts and not fond of that look.
                      Hi,

Can you confirm if the Leviton ZW15R-1BW can be controlled by HomeSeer?

Comment

It should but do not have 100% confirmation.

Comment

Originally posted by Redz View Post

Hi,

Can you confirm if the Leviton ZW15R-1BW can be controlled by HomeSeer?
                          Have two; working great. Authenticated S2 inclusion even worked first shot. Will get a few more when they get back in stock. Very pleased.

Comment

Thanks very much for letting me know.

Comment

Working...
                            X