What do you want for Hs5 ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What do you want for Hs5 ?

I know.. I know ... lol ....That's early ; but as human we always try to predict the future ( a fundamental premise/target of science).

What do you expect/want in Hs5,
    what is important to you? * Please stay on topic and only mention things about the product itself.*
    I also expect that people will try to comment with features that will never be able (for wtv logic reasons) to reach Hs4.
    I suggest a separated hs4 topic for that ( maybe a title like : What do you expect from hs4 V 4.2 and up?) .

Let's do an effort to put aside the past and focus on the future of hs5.

Thanks

So, here is my short list ( I am not a programmer so expect a short list from me) :

1- A complete rewrite of HomeSeer written in .net core, not a wrapper (Linux user here).

2- Dependent of #1. Like hs2 to hs3 transition, users will need to redo their setup ( so no more mess like hs4 dependencies to hs3 plugins and devices ( ex: devices 3.2 vs devices 4.0) in Hs5.

3- A complete rewrite of the event system. Something that would make scripting almost useless. ex : if then else, xor , etc. (please take a look at Jeedom possibilities : https://doc.jeedom.com/en_US/core/3.3/scenario ).

edited: Removed others points.

Comment

Why does this have to be version 5? Why couldn’t it be done under HS4?

By the way, doesn’t .Net 5 run on cross platform systems? So, transition to .Net 5 is maybe a better path.
      HomeSeer 2, HomeSeer 3, Allonis myServer, Amazon Alexa Dots, ELK M1G, ISY 994i, HomeKit, BlueIris, and 6 "4k" Cameras using NVR, and integration between all of these systems. Home Automation since 1980.

Comment

Coming back to this. This in itself is a huge announcement from Microsoft. Since HomeSeer is written in .Net, it may be possible for HomeSeer Technologies to more easily eliminate Mono due to .Net 5 being released. Again, while this may seem a light at the end of the tunnel, I would defer to their management to speak to a position on this subject. I am afraid (while logical), it may be more complicated that we know. But, at least there is a light at the end of the tunnel....

I have recently written code and compiled for .NET 5 which was able to be executed on a Raspberry PI.

From Microsoft:
        "The announcement added that there would be .Net 5 that is Opensource and Cross-platform, which will replace .Net Framework, .Net Core and Xamarin with a single unified platform called .Net 5 Framework."
        HomeSeer 2, HomeSeer 3, Allonis myServer, Amazon Alexa Dots, ELK M1G, ISY 994i, HomeKit, BlueIris, and 6 "4k" Cameras using NVR, and integration between all of these systems. Home Automation since 1980.

Comment

Originally posted by Krumpy View Post
          Coming back to this. This in itself is a huge announcement from Microsoft. Since HomeSeer is written in .Net, it may be possible for HomeSeer Technologies to more easily eliminate Mono due to .Net 5 being released. Again, while this may seem a light at the end of the tunnel, I would defer to their management to speak to a position on this subject. I am afraid (while logical), it may be more complicated that we know. But, at least there is a light at the end of the tunnel....

I have recently written code and compiled for .NET 5 which was able to be executed on a Raspberry PI.

From Microsoft:
          "The announcement added that there would be .Net 5 that is Opensource and Cross-platform, which will replace .Net Framework, .Net Core and Xamarin with a single unified platform called .Net 5 Framework."
          To my understanding .NET 4.x will be EOL soon.

---
          John

Comment

Good Point!

So, the question to HomeSeer Technologies is what the strategy is to keep this software in continued support of Microsoft security patches and enhancements.

Comment

This was already known when the Beta was announced. Multiple developers asked for this, but HST decided to stick with the current .NET ...

Comment

.NET 4.5.2 has support as long as Windows 10 has support. As for me, I don't really care what .NET version they use. Just give me the features that were announced for HS4 and a new HSTouch Designer. That will be a big step already. Then we can go from there.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/lif...tnet-framework

Comment

Originally posted by kriz83 View Post
                  This was already known when the Beta was announced. Multiple developers asked for this, but HST decided to stick with the current .NET ...
                  ...and the reason was that it would maintain compatibility with HS3. If they had gone down that route, EVERY plugin would have to be re-written. For a developer it may make sense but from a marketing perspective, their decision was sound.
                  Jon

Comment

Originally posted by mulu View Post
                    .NET 4.5.2 has support as long as Windows 10 has support. As for me, I don't really care what .NET version they use. Just give me the features that were announced for HS4 and a new HSTouch Designer. That will be a big step already. Then we can go from there.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/lif...tnet-framework
                    .NET Framework 4.5.2: Support for .NET 4.5.2 follows the lifecycle policy of the parent OS. It is supported as a Windows component on the latest required operating system update for Windows Vista SP2, Windows 7 SP1, Windows Server 2008 SP2, Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1, Windows 8.1 Update, Windows Server 2012, and Windows Server 2012 R2.

Therefore, .NET 4.5.2 goes out of support on January 10, 2023.

----
                    John

Comment

Originally posted by John245 View Post

.NET Framework 4.5.2: Support for .NET 4.5.2 follows the lifecycle policy of the parent OS. It is supported as a Windows component on the latest required operating system update for Windows Vista SP2, Windows 7 SP1, Windows Server 2008 SP2, Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1, Windows 8.1 Update, Windows Server 2012, and Windows Server 2012 R2.

Therefore, .NET 4.5.2 goes out of support on January 10, 2023.

----
                      John
                      I don't understand what this is all about? For one, HS4 is compiled using 4.6.2. Also recompiling HS4 to use 4.8 would only take minutes to do?
                      Jon

Comment

Originally posted by jon00 View Post

I don't understand what this is all about? For one, HS4 is compiled using 4.6.2. Also recompiling HS4 to use 4.8 would only take minutes to do?
                        This is about security.

Depends on the fact if .NET 4.8 contains braking changes.

---
                        John

Comment

Originally posted by jon00 View Post

Just to be clear, I mentioned 4.5.2 because that is when apparently MS changed the lifecycle policy.

Comment

Good discussions. I see the two perspectives. While I am a security professional, I also see (and agree) Jon00's point about compatibility with HS3. HS3 support is still very important.

There needs to be a transition period, but also a deadline for backwards compatibility. I personally would not allow this to go to HS5, but I figure that HST will push it there so that they can charge us an upgrade fee. Maybe not. Maybe my comments are not appropriate as I may not be aware of something.

Either way, there should be a clear position on this, and a clear roadmap. These systems are connected to the Internet and we therefore need to be able to apply Microsoft (and other) security updates.

Comment

[QUOTE=Krumpy;n1436161<snip>
                              There needs to be a transition period, but also a deadline for backwards compatibility. I personally would not allow this to go to HS5, but I figure that HST will push it there so that they can charge us an upgrade fee. Maybe not. Maybe my comments are not appropriate as I may not be aware of something.

Either way, there should be a clear position on this, and a clear roadmap. These systems are connected to the Internet and we therefore need to be able to apply Microsoft (and other) security updates. [/QUOTE]

HS doesn't do major upgrades frequently, i.e. just every few years which is one reason I chose them. After all the price to get started isn't exactly small so I didn't want to be charged another fee every year or two. Also when they have a new major version the fee to upgrade is quite reasonable. As for security, it's my understanding that the current .NET Framework is still supported by MS for quite a few years. So I am not sure what the big concern is. I would think that when they move to HS5 in 3-4 years they will move to a newer .NET Framework but that is kind of expected. How many people will care or even know what "Based on .NET Framework 5" means?? People care about feature and ease of use, not what it is based on. Let that be HS' business.

Comment

Working...
                              X