Is HS4 solid enough to switch to yet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is HS4 solid enough to switch to yet?

Hey Guys, my HS3 has been working fine for years, but at this point, it's starting to look like a piece of antique that belongs in a museum... Do you guys think HS4 is reliable and bug-free enough to switch to as the main controller?

What protocols & plugins are you using and/or weird devices?

I'm primarily using Z-Wave and although there were some bumps as outlined by the install instructions, I did lose my HS Mobile dashboard and had to spend hours recreating them. (I think it too me WAY longer to fix HS Mobile that it did to install HS4)
    The upgrade was fast and I was down maybe an hour, maybe even less.
    I only use Z-Wave, X-10, Simple RF and Pushover plugins so I can't speak for the other plugins.
    Dan-O
    HomeSeer contributor since summer 1999, yes 1999!

Comment

Most people seem to be fine. I however lost my entire system using the latest version. I think it's ok to switch to HS4 as long as you make daily backups. Unfortunately, my backup program does not allow me to make backups from anything inside the c:/Program Files(x86) folders so I lucked out...

Comment

Originally posted by mulu View Post
        Most people seem to be fine. I however lost my entire system using the latest version. I think it's ok to switch to HS4 as long as you make daily backups. Unfortunately, my backup program does not allow me to make backups from anything inside the c:/Program Files(x86) folders so I lucked out...
        If you need daily backups, then think twice... Does it hurt if the system breaks down when not at home? If no, then go ahead. If yes ...

Comment

jumper4000 .. nice to see you back!

I made the switch fine, and run several PIs and about 90 devices. Never had a problem.

Not sure what the deal is with daily backups. I've been using BLBackup for years and it still works great.... every day. I send all my backups to a OneDrive folder.

Comment

Originally posted by jumper4000 View Post
            Hey Guys, my HS3 has been working fine for years, but at this point, it's starting to look like a piece of antique that belongs in a museum... Do you guys think HS4 is reliable and bug-free enough to switch to as the main controller?
            Short answer is Yes. For my part, I've been on it since last December. Ya... I know... I'm a staffer... but I have a real home and real family and it's every bit as important to me that works and is reliable as it is for any of our users. Here's what I would suggest:
            1. shut down HS3 and backup your entire HS3 folder. This is your safety net in case you decide to move back
            2. follow the procedure to upgrade and give it a whirl. The data upgrade process is non-destructive anyway. It does not alter the existing data files. It creates a new JSON-based data structure.
            3. Enable the built-in automatic backup function that's built into HS4. If things go wonky, you should be able to restore from a backup. I have not had to do this since upgrading but that's just me.
            Learn About HomeSeer

Comment

For the most part functionality you have in HS3 will continue to work in HS4. The HS4 plugins are not quite at the same point so migration using the HS3 plugins with HS4 is the lower risk approach. There are issues that have been logged in GitHub that limit total functionality in my mcsMQTT plugin and are sufficiently severe that I am not able to continue the port of mcsSprinklers. I have not run into any issues with HS4 port of the Hubitat or KNX plugins.

The user experience is different with the focus on a UI to support a phone size screen rather than a desktop size screen. Need more scrolling and more button clicks to do things. The HS1/HS2 Save button is back so after making screen changes need to scroll to the bottom to click Save vs. the HS3 immediate action when a change is made.

Comment

I do this:

I go here and search for the ratio of posts citing problems with HS4 and plugins (negative in nature) and to the number of posts that are positive in nature. My advise would be to make your decision based on your comfort level concerning the Negatives/Positives ratio. The smaller the number, the better the situation.

I also try to get a feel on the forum for the status and efficacy of customer service. If they are keeping up with issues, that is a positive.

You might, also, want to verify that there aren't issues with any HS3 PIs that are must-haves operating properly under HS4. Note that some users have adopted HS4 only to find that the features they desired were pushed back on the roadmap and are not available at this time.

There is no simple answer because the decision is based on how each users expects to use the software/hardware combination.
                HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.500
                Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro - Work Station

Enabled Plug-Ins:
                2.1.0.119: AmbientWeather | 3.0.21.0: BLLock | 2.0.24.0: BLUPS | 1.3.6.0: Device History | 3.0.0.56: EasyTrigger | 3.1.0.7: MeiHarmonyHub | 3.0.6681.34300: UltraCID3 | 3.0.6644.26753: UltraLog3 | 3.0.6554.33094: UltraMon3 | 3.0.0.91: weatherXML | 3.0.1.245: Z-Wave | 3.0.51: HS Touch Designer | 3.0.0.40 Z-Seer+

Comment

Working...
                X