How to link multiple devices to HS4 device

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to link multiple devices to HS4 device

How to link multiple devices to HS4 device.
    I see an option to link a devices at the "features" tab of the device, however it allows only one device to be linked. If I pick a second one than the first one disappears.
    Is it possible to link more than one?

Thanks,
    TheDude

Can this help? : https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/ho...d-devices-help

Eman.
    TinkerLand : Life's Choices,"No One Size Fits All"

Comment

You have to link one device 1 to device 2, then link device 2 to device 3, then device 3 to device 4, etc.
      πŸ’β€β™‚οΈ Support & Customer Service πŸ™‹β€β™‚οΈ Sales Questions πŸ›’ Shop HomeSeer Products​

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
        You have to link one device 1 to device 2, then link device 2 to device 3, then device 3 to device 4, etc.
        AND, be sure to link the last one to the first one when at the last device.

Comment

Originally posted by BobSpen View Post

AND, be sure to link the last one to the first one when at the last device.
          Yep, forgot that last link.
          πŸ’β€β™‚οΈ Support & Customer Service πŸ™‹β€β™‚οΈ Sales Questions πŸ›’ Shop HomeSeer Products​

Comment

Thanks to all who responded.
            Unfortunately it is not applicable to my case.
            Actually my case is pretty simple. I have 3 lights with dimmers. I want each and every light to be controllable on its own separately and independently of the others.
            At the same time I want to have a master control - separate 4-th device that controls all 3 of them at the same time only if and when it is necessary.
            In other words I'm looking for a "star" topology whereas a "loop" topology is suggested here.
            Any other ideas ???

Thanks,
            TheDude

Comment

If I'm understanding you correctly you will want to create an event that controls these 3 lights from the master. This assumes the master notifies HS4 of it's on/off status.

Comment

Create a virtual dimmer device which is your master device. Then set up an even using the EasyTrigger plugin and use the function "Set device value to another device value" or something like that (I don't quite recall the name of the action). You need to add such an action for all of your 3 lights. Then those 3 lights should follow the (virtual) master device.

Btw, the EasyTrigger plugin is not free. I wish HS would integrate some of those pretty basic functions in their event engine. Having said that, the investment into EasyTrigger is quite worthwhile. It will save you a lot of time when you try to do something a little more advanced than what the HS event engine allows you to do.

Comment

You can a pair/link a few devices with a LightWave (RFXCom) switch (group) or HomeSeer but also can set up the same devices controlled independently with their own switch. What I don't know if zwave can do the same

Click image for larger version

Name:	LightWave.png
Views:	632
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	1435645

Eman

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
                    If I'm understanding you correctly you will want to create an event that controls these 3 lights from the master. This assumes the master notifies HS4 of it's on/off status.
                    Correct. For the record all 3 switches are virtual devices in HS4 with values 0-off 100 -on and 1-99 dim. I don't want to overwhelm the posting here with details of how the virtual devices control the physical dimmers. This could be subject to another posting. It is implemented and the lights follow the virtual devices exactly.

What I want to do is to create 4-th virtual device with the same attributes. I want the 3 devices to follow the 4th device if and when 4th device changes. Otherwise they are independent.

For example say the 3 dimmers have values as follows

1 - 0 off
                    2 - 30 dim
                    3 - 100 - on

If the master #4 changes value to say 50 dim than all 3 become 50 dim. After that they are again separate and independent to control until the next change of the Master #4.

Thanks,
                    TheDude

Comment

Yeah better grouping devices with easytrigger.

Comment

If Zwave : https://www.vesternet.com/pages/z-wa...s-associations
                        Associations
                        Association is different to Inclusion. The Inclusion function of a device β€œincludes” the device into a network, allowing it to communicate with other network devices. The association function β€œassociates” two devices, enabling them to communicate directly without the need for a central controller. Most devices have a button that sets the device to Inclusion/Association mode.
                        Eman.

Comment

No they are not zwave dimmers.

Comment

Working...
                          X