How can I do this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How can I do this?

I have a pond outside that is approximately 100 gallons. It has a single pump that runs a vertical fountain and a spitter for a waterfall. In the two years or so since I installed it, the only problem I have encountered is that every so often the pond gets drained by the pump. Many things have caused this- kids messing around, wind, gravity, trash in the spitter line, among other things.

What I want to do is find a way to notify HS if the water level drops below a certain point, triggering the appliance module controlling the pump to shut it off to prevent any more water loss. Of course, it cannot allow any current to flow through the water. Because of this problem, I only have one fish left. He's lonely, but not yet suicidal.

Has anyone found a way to do something like this?

Maybe you could get one of those Beta fish that live in like a cup of water thier entire lives?

While not a HS solution, what if you used a float switch like one has with a sump pump? Water drops below a set level and power is shut off to the appliance module.

Comment

Hi,
      The marine stores have a few different bilge pump switches that would work.
      Stuart

Comment

Here's a good float switch:

http://www.smarthome.com/7197.html
        💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Thanks guys!
          Actually a float switch is a great idea. If only I could integrate it with HS. What fun is a solution when HS isn't in the equation?

Even a system as simple as two wires at water level. When in contact with water, they complete a circuit. When the level drops, the circuit is cut. Man, I could do this years ago with my trusty Radio Shack 200 in 1 Electronic Project Kit! Wonder what I did with that?

Comment

Originally posted by outrbanx
            Even a system as simple as two wires at water level. When in contact with water, they complete a circuit. When the level drops, the circuit is cut. Man, I could do this years ago with my trusty Radio Shack 200 in 1 Electronic Project Kit! Wonder what I did with that?
            You could do that with a NO/NC magnetic switch and a powerflash module. But with only one fish left I might opt for the 100% solution of a float switch rather risk an X-10 signal collision.

Comment

OB,
              The float switch I posted is designed to be used with something like a powerflash module. So it could be totally integrated with Hs and even email you when the water drops low. If you wanted to take it to the next level you could even automate it using a sprinkler system control valve and have it turn on when the float triggers and turn off when it resets.
              💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Excellent, Rupp! I'll definitely look into that.

Comment

Working...
                X