Door Lock Project.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Door Lock Project.

I want to automate my front doors locks with HomeSeer. Here is what i have decided on after talking to a few people in the cocoontech chat forum last night.

I was going to use a RF remote controlled Door lock from Kwikset
    http://www.kwikset.com/website/asp/K...eyless%20Entry

Along with the appropriate Script/Plugin and Hardware. MikeMathews has a plugin that will allow me to send static ouputs on upto 12 parallel port pins. The only down side to this is that the Plugin does not yet support Inputs so i could not monitor the status of the lock.

Electron had sugested a peice of hardware
    http://www.acscontrol.com/Index_ACS....ial_IO_4_8.htm

that might be a better solution but it uses an rs232 serial port to communicate. Since homeseer can talk directly to the RS232 port no plugin would be needed. I could simply use scripts. The only problem with this is that i Don't have the slightest clue as to what i need to do when programming scripts for an RS232 port. I have read the documentation on the script commands but it went right over my head.

I'm hoping that someone can help me with the scripting part and i will take care of the hardware part. Basically i would use the above hardware the electron recommended along with 2 relays. The RS232 hardware would trip the relay to activate a rf remote. I would have to hack one of the RF remotes and solder two wires in place of each switch. Then as long as im within about 30 to35 feet from the door with my hacked remote(which i will be) then i can trigger an event via the HS webserver which will trigger the relay which will then connect the switches on the hacked remote and unlock or lock the doors. And in the future when i was ready to run wires i could hack the door locked indicator light on the lock itself and run wires to the RS232 hardware so that i could see weather or not the door was locked or unlocked.

Does anyone else here use HS to remotely unlock their doors?

I control a number of doors and gates with HomeSeer using a combination of electronic dead-bolts, electronic door strikes and also Schlage electrified door knobs. The locks are switched off & on using an Applied Digital SECU-16.

I've posted some more detailed information in the following thread... scroll down around half way to find my post:

http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=81434

Cheers,
    Paul

Click to visit: www.sbsmarthomes.com
    Santa Barbara Smarthomes

Authorized Russound Dealer & Installer

Personal HA Website

HomeSeer User Profile

Comment

Hi,
      I use the Ibutton to open or close my garage door. I was thinking of using one of the magnetic locks on one of my regular house doors. They will unlock in a power failure, so you can use a ups to keep them locked.
      Stuart

Comment

I use RS232 as an output to switch relays etc
        I can let you have scripts for that if you want

Comment

How would you use a magnet lock on a standard door. All the magnet locks that i have seen are very large and bulky and can easily be tampered with. Id prefer to use something not so obvious.

The question came up as to why i would want to unlock my door remotely. I have a number of reasons. One of them being that i have people come over my house all the time because they are picking up something for me and taking it somewhere else or they are picking up my kids from somewhere and sitting at my house with them until i get home. I don't know exactly who will be comming and when so i want to be able to unlock my doors from my cell phone and the internet. Right now the internet is my first priority and then the phone system will come when i can afford the hardware and software.

Comment

Originally posted by Stuart
            Hi,
            I use the Ibutton to open or close my garage door. I was thinking of using one of the magnetic locks on one of my regular house doors. They will unlock in a power failure, so you can use a ups to keep them locked.
            Stuart
            I think we have talked before about my iButton interface. I *just* put in the magnetic lock last night. It is a magnetic lock from Rutherford. Residential doors swing in, so you need a "Z" Bracket to make it work. I need to put in the appropriate exit button that interrupts power to the lock for fire safety. Then I will add this to my weederboard interface. For your iButtons, do you use the Ha7E interface?
            A computer's attention span is as long
            as it's powercord.

Comment

Squintz ,
              I put a keypad on my garage door so the kids could get in. They punch in a code door raises and they are in.
              💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

HardwareHacker,

I would love to have your script. What hardware do you use and can you tell me where you got it from.

Rupp,
                I dont have a garage door. Live in a small townhouse.

Comment

Ah Ha Squintz. That explains the need.

Squintz,
                  Did you see the car starter Dan and I built. Could you use something like that?
                  💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Sdanks,
                    I was using the Ha7e and for now I've been using the Dallas 9097U. I just got one of the edgeport usb to 8 serial port converters and will probably end up using both of the usb devices.
                    Stuart

Comment

Rupp,

I probably could use something like that and i probably will if i cant get a serial or parallel port controller working. But i would really like to use the RS232 stuff

1) Because it gives me something to script and i need to brush up on my scripting alot.

2) Its kinda unique and being a DIY type of guy i would like to create something and share how to do it with the rest of you guys.

Can someone look at the above RS232 hardwre for me and let me know if you think it will be capable of doing what i want it to do. I don't really understand the specs very well.

Last night in the chat room Gordon gave me the idea of using a Hacked EagleEye motion detector to monitor the status of the door lock. I think i said before that the door lock has a small LED to indicate weather its locked or not. Using this with thr RF motion dectector Hack i can keep the entire system wirless. This makes me very happy because i dont want to drill holes in my door to run wires.

Here is my plan so far... All i have to do is work out the rest of the hardware plan and i should be set to go.

My Current Deadbolt is one of those Keyless entry touch pads. It doesnt work anymore so i figured i would salvage some parts from it to make my next install look nice. I would keep the entire enclosure in place and remove all the electronics from it. This provides me with a way to unlock my deadbolt with a key only. Not a big deal for me because we hardly ever use the deadbolt. The only time we use it is when we are going away for more than a day. By removing its electronics it leaves me with all the room i need to insert an extra battery pack. This battery pack will be the same voltage as the door lock and hopefully the same as the EagleEye also but im not so sure about that. Having the extra battery pack will make changing the batteries less often again making me happier. I will tap into the KwickSets LED and run those to a dry contact relay. Hopefully i can find one that small. If not i might have to go with a electronic relay and pray that it works. This will Provide me with RF X10 montioring capabilites.
                      However i don't want to rely on X10 for control so i'm going to hack one of the remote that come with the Door Lock. It contains 4 buttons, butt only to which i am concerned with. The Unlock and Lock buttons. I figured i would unsolder the buttons or leave the buttons in place and simply not use the. I would then solder 2 wires to each button and connect those wires to a relay. I would connect the relay outputs to the RS232 card and have HS control that card.

The only software issue i see is that i will want the button to press and depress almost instantly. Not sure if this has to happen but i would not want the button to get stuck on and not be able to unlock my doors with the other remotes.

Now what i need is help picking out the relays and other electronic hardware. I have some knowlege of relays but i don't really know whats available and i want to buy the best one for the job.

Thanks for all your replys guys!

Comment

I was following up a thread here about making circuit boards which directed me to a site www.olimex.com

They have an area for kits, including serial & parallel relays and inputs(pc001,002 & 003) and doorlocks using RF and Ibutton(slc003 & slc004), plus lots of other goodies

http://www.olimex.com/kits/

Might be worth a look

Kevin

Comment

Originally posted by Stuart
                          Sdanks,
                          I was using the Ha7e and for now I've been using the Dallas 9097U. I just got one of the edgeport usb to 8 serial port converters and will probably end up using both of the usb devices.
                          Stuart
                          So did your Ha7E return two strings of data when being read? Would you share your scripts with me? I keep getting the data in two transfers. The first half would come through and then the second.
                          A computer's attention span is as long
                          as it's powercord.

Comment

If you are a DIY type that can solder, have a multimeter, and like to make your own gizmos, then a workable lock control setup should be fairly easy. You may be able to get around the lack of a "plug-in" by using some simple applications to do the actual hardware I/O and use scripting to evaluate and display the obtained data. Output control is very easy via a number of approaches. Input is a little trickier depending on the path (parallel port, serial port, USB, ect.. Below is a link to a cheap relay board kit that is made for the parallel port, but can be operated by any gizmo that has 5v TTL output. The middle link shows a simple status monitoring setup using the parallel port and a gizmo made from resistors, transistors, and diodes from the local Radio Shack store. The next link shows a simple way to control a large number of individual on/off setups using the cheap 74hct259 chips. Bottom link shows a simple transistor setup to do a remote button push. The attached photo shows a previous project hacking an x10 palm remote control for computer control of the button pushes. Probably not projects for those looking for "turn-key" setups

http://store.qkits.com/serv/qkits/diy/pages/QK74.asp
                            http://www.geocities.com/zoomkat/status.htm
                            http://www.geocities.com/zoomkat/output.htm
                            http://www.geocities.com/zoomkat/irmods.htm
                            Attached Files
                            Why I like my 2005 rio yellow Honda S2000 with the top down, and more!

Comment

Hi Sdanks,
                              I've attached an ibutton script for the Ha7e. As you are aware, is that the Ha7e being run by a script is that you need a trigger. Otherwise the script would be set to run forever. I used the secret switch which was attached to one of the screw heads on the plate holding the ibutton socket. One touch of the finger and that triggered the ibutton script for about 15 seconds. The script ran two things. One the garage door and two the outside sprinkler. I set the garage event with a flag and the sprinkler I toggled the on off state. I've also thought about putting a pushbutton switch in the middle of the ibutton socket to be a trigger for the Ha7e.
                              Stuart
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X