Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HS Phone control without traditional phone service?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HS Phone control without traditional phone service?

Is it possible to set up a system whereby you can use standard touchtone phones scattered about a home for the sole purpose of controlling Homeseer, without actually connecting those phones to the outside world? Think of it as "the white courtesy phone" in a hotel. I am considering using HSP, but at the same time considering dropping Ma Bell and using a mobile phone for my phone service.

I think so HOWEVER you will probably be limited in how many phones you can hook up. I know the Hi-phone can do this. I'm not sure about the PCI modem, if it actually generates the line voltage or if it just passes on the external signals. I know the PCI modem detects local off hook so that part would work.

Hopefully Rick or Tink will jump in here and answer that part for us.
    Bruce

"The universal answer is 42."

Comment

The Hi-Phone can be put into internal power mode where it will supply the power for the phones, so no phone line is required. The PCI modem does not support this, it requires power from the telco.
      💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

a simple phone line "simulator" would supply the "talk battery" necessary, however I thought that the modem required a "ring event" to accept tones, but the HAL / HSPCI modem may be different than a standard one. since I CANT for the life of me get one as they are all out I dont know. standard telco voltage is very low current -48 VDC, PBX voltages are -24 VDC so you could get away with either of those and drive a standard analog phone enough for the tonepad and audio to work. a Ring event would be 90 VDC at 20 Hz.

oftentimes you can find old PBX power supplies at electronics surplus places. mitel SX-10 power supply works good for "simulations"
        -christopher
        PerfecTemp - the Most advanced HVAC system I've ever Built - and its in my House

Comment

Working...
        X